Wedding dress alteration advice...

Ok girls I finally got a dress! YAY! I don't have pics right now but I'm taking some this weekend and of course I will be posting.

So anyways I tried the dress on in the store and I really liked it so the lady went to go check to go see what sizes they had in stock. They only had one size in stock (which was the sample size I was trying on). Even if they did rush delivery it would not come on time so if I wanted it I would have to scoop it up.

Anyways the woman who was helping me was able to zip the dress up. I didn't have anyone with me so I couldn't really see what the back looked liked that much. Here is the thing, the dress fits but its a little tight. I can breathe in it and all that so that's not a problem. The woman told me to take it to some place and get it altered from the waist out.

She said if I lost 10 pounds it would be fine and I wouldn't need to get it altered.

So here are my concerns:

1. I don't know if anyone will be able to alter it in time for June 28th.

2. The dress has a train so I need a bustle. But I am only wearing the dress for the church so I don't know if I should even bother getting one.

3. The dress is empire waist so its loose fitting everywhere except for the bust area. I'm wondering if I should even get it altered since I have already managed to lose 3 pounds (I have faith I can lose the rest) and if it zippers already.

The thing I am scared about is that on the wedding day someone might not be able to zipper me up properly and then what do I do...

What do you guys think?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stunning dress, I can't wait to see you in it.

I say wait till you get it home and try it on again. If you like the way it looks and it looks good in the back, then just leave it as is. If you want it let out a little, then go see someone ASAP and tell them its a rush, I am sure they will have more than enough time to fix it for you. And, I think you should get a bustle only because you will wear it for a while and you will not be able to walk around with that train, it will drive you nuts. How long are you planning on wearing it? Are you going to do photo's on your honeymoon or anything, if so, its worth getting a bustle.

Gorgeous dress! And congrats on getting it!

If you think you can lose the weight in time, it might be worth just leaving it... but I think I would probably try to find an alterations person. It just sucks to have to lose weight, and the last thing you should have to stress about! Did they recommend someone? It may cost you more to get it done quickly, but I'm sure if you found someone this weekend, they could have it done in time! Good luck!

1. I don't know if anyone will be able to alter it in time for June 28th. G, to have it let out like youre describing, i think youd need to go get your alterations TODAY in order to get it back the week of the wedding. lets be realistic here, you want to pick up your dress a few days in advance.

2. The dress has a train so I need a bustle. But I am only wearing the dress for the church so I don't know if I should even bother getting one. if you are only wearing it to the church, you dont need a full bustle. you can take it to a seamstress/tailor/drycleaner even that can attach the wrist loop i was telling you about yesterday just in case you need it

3. The dress is empire waist so its loose fitting everywhere except for the bust area. I'm wondering if I should even get it altered since I have already managed to lose 3 pounds (I have faith I can lose the rest) and if it zippers already. i personally think you should not bother with the alterations. i know you, and i know you will drop a couple more pounds between now and june 28th because of all the stress youve been going through lately and how hard you are working to lose a few extra pounds. i understand your concern -- but as long as you manage to not GAIN any weight between now and then you should be totally fine. also -- pick up a pack of diurex from the pharmacy and take them the week leading up to the wedding. you'll shed any additional water weight and should have no problem zipping your dress smile36.gif xoxo

Did you try the dress with a bra? Sometimes if you take if off, the dress fits! I had that issue with my dress, although I need a bra so I decided to have the dress let out.

I don't think you should spend the money on a bustle since you only plan to wear it for the mass only.

If you're not worried about losing a couple pounds (and keeping them off) then I wouldn't bother with letting it out at all. I absolutely 100% WOULD do the bustle though. If you're having to wear this at the thing your FMIL is hosting, you'll want to be able to walk around and you simply can't do that w/ a train. Well, not w/out getting really irritated, having people step all over it etc. If you go immediately I believe you can have a bustle done before your wedding. If you're really worried about it not being done in time, just explain the situation. Most places will work w/ you to get the business and at worst you may have to pay some kind of "rush" fee...which would be worth it IMO.

Before you make the final decision about altering the waist area...make sure you've tried it on with whatever bra and stuff you plan to wear. If it pushes the girls up a bit you may need more room. You know?

Glenda you are going to look amazing! I can't wait for pictures!

As a first step I would call some places to see who can alter a bridal gown and what they would charge. That might really help you decide! Rush alterations can be extremely expensive. You don't want to get stuck with another $300 bill.

If it zips and you can breathe, I'd be tempted to say no alterations. If you have your dress, you can try it on once a week to check your progress! LOL It's better than having it sit somewhere for 2 weeks to find it doesn't fit (trust me).

If you keep doing so well with your diet, you should be fine. Be sure to stick to cardio and avoid upper body weights. This sucks because if you have flabby arms like me, you will want to fix them. My seamstress warned against this because it develops back and chest muscles. You can lose pounds but gain inches.

If you are only wearing your dress for the ceremony and pictures, why bustle? You can always throw the train over your arm or have FI carry it when you need to move.