Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
michelle08

Freaking out about Marriage License...Need help!

Recommended Posts

I'm sorry...I know there are a million threads out there on this but it's not settling my nerves.

 

I have my marriage license here that is in spanish but our names and stuff our in english and it has the apostille on the side.

 

Is this going to be enough for the SS office and everyone else?

 

Plus this one document I have says convenio de separacion de bienes. What the hell does this mean? My co-worker who speaks spanish thinks its the equivalent of a pre-nup? On the marriage cert if has this option and sociedad conyugal and the separacion de bienes is marked...

 

Plus I didn't sign my new last name, I signed my old last name and my friend said when she was married in hawaii they made her sign her new last namehuh.gif

 

Help!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never signed my new name. I signed it with my old name.

 

I think it will be ok, but I didn't have one from Mx. Mine was from Vegas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry Michelle I really don't know. It does kind of sound like a pre-nup. Maybe Maura or Anny or one of the other spanish speaking girls can jump in and explain what it means.

 

As far as not signing it with your new name I just got my license last week and I was told that I have to sign it with my new name or I will have problems with the SS office. But that's here in NY. If Rachel signed her old name and didn't have a problem then maybe it won't be a problem.

 

Why don't you call the SS office in your county and ask your questions. They will give you the best idea as to what you need to change your name and make your marriage valid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle08 View Post
I'm sorry...I know there are a million threads out there on this but it's not settling my nerves.

I have my marriage license here that is in spanish but our names and stuff our in english and it has the apostille on the side.

Is this going to be enough for the SS office and everyone else?

Plus this one document I have says convenio de separacion de bienes. What the hell does this mean? My co-worker who speaks spanish thinks its the equivalent of a pre-nup? On the marriage cert if has this option and sociedad conyugal and the separacion de bienes is marked...

Plus I didn't sign my new last name, I signed my old last name and my friend said when she was married in hawaii they made her sign her new last namehuh.gif

Help!!!

I just used Free Translator on the internet and it said "convenio de separacion de bienes" means "agreement of separation of goods" and "sociedad conyugal " means "conjugal society" so I dont understand either. Thats weird. Is this something your WC could still explain to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got legally married in Mexico and I live in NY. I never had the marriage cert translated or apostilized. I was able to change my name on SS and other documents no problem. I can't remember which name I signed. With my driver's license I had a tad more difficulty. NY DMV doesn't accept foreign marriage certs so I had to wait to accumulate other documents in my new name (ss card, credit card, my social work license) as proof of name change. But it wasn't as horrible as i thought it would be.

 

Oh and in mexico before you get married they ask you how you want to divy up belongings and money in case of divorce. I believe that other "pre nup" document you were referring to is that document.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky k72 View Post
I got legally married in Mexico and I live in NY. I never had the marriage cert translated or apostilized. I was able to change my name on SS and other documents no problem. I can't remember which name I signed. With my driver's license I had a tad more difficulty. NY DMV doesn't accept foreign marriage certs so I had to wait to accumulate other documents in my new name (ss card, credit card, my social work license) as proof of name change. But it wasn't as horrible as i thought it would be.

Oh and in mexico before you get married they ask you how you want to divy up belongings and money in case of divorce. I believe that other "pre nup" document you were referring to is that document.
That must be that document...but how come they didn't ask me...so I guess that means if we get divorced then we want to separate everything...hope that doesn't hold to...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was worried too about signing the old name vs the new, because the SS office states on their website that it must show the new name. Ummm- mine didn't but it listed my hubby's name so it's not rocket science to figure what I would change it too. Unless we combined our names or something.

 

They accepted it no questions asked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle08 View Post
That must be that document...but how come they didn't ask me...so I guess that means if we get divorced then we want to separate everything...hope that doesn't hold to...
Hmmmm. I don't know. Our wedding planner had us fill out documents and we had to check a box regarding division of property. I forgot what I said.
Hopefully none of us will ever have to worry about that. But that brings another question to my mind.....If a couple who were legally married in a foreign country want to divorce, do they have to go back to that country or can they just get divorced in the US?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get divorced in the U.S. Karen. The court would have jurisdiction if certain requirements are met including the fact that you both reside within that state, own property there, etc.

 

I know they tell you that you have to sign your new name on the license but anyone can change their name at any time so I really don't see why that would be true. I could legally change my name to Best Destination Wedding if I wanted to. LOL.

 

Michelle I wouldn't worry about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • We booked our wedding for April 2021 but the venue let us know at this time they are still implementing Covid measures so we should not have more than 50 guests, etc. We also made sure the contract had an "out" clause that would let us get a refund should the pandemic blow up again, or have the ability to reschedule without penalty.
    • I am having my wedding scheduled in November 2020. I am too much worried about how all the things will be managed in this pandemic situation. About everything like the guest list, preparations, my attire and all. The only thing I am relaxed is about finances. In Feb only me and my fiancé applied for the wedding loans. We have applied early because both of us are having bad credit we had a doubt that it will be approved or not. But our wedding loans with bad credit were timely approved and we have planned accordingly but now this pandemic has spoiled all our preparations. We are trying to be positive and trying to celebrate our new beginnings.
    • Welcome. I am a past Dreams Los Cabos bride. Please let us know if we can assist in any way. We have some great promotions (bride and groom fly free, comped rooms and upgrades).    info@wrighttravelagency.com
    • Hi all. My fiance and I are getting married at Dreams Los Cabos in Cabo San Lucas on April, 2021! We've been together for 3 years and we are so excited for our little wedding!  
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...