Sign in to follow this  
caroline

My Monogram Cake Topper - NEED SERIOUS HELP!

Ok, so I guess this is the last thread I read last night before going to bed and that might explain why I dreamt about it!!! Yep, I dreamt about you and your cake topper LOL First, let me tell you that I think your cake topper looks great :) In my dream, there were much bigger spaces but that was good since you still had smaller crystals and crystal palm trees to add. Don't ask, I don't know LOL

Just thought I'd let you know I was dreaming about you...LOL does that make me sound psycho or just BDW obsessedhuh.gif?

LOL yeah, that's how I felt!

Um, yes and no...I do like the way it looks, but if you're not happy, then definately redo it. I'd say scrape it off if you can and start from scratch. Use a different glue (maybe buy two of the ones suggested by other people and try them both to see which you like working with - return the other hehe) and then use the various size crystals in random orders so that you can fill in as much space as possible. Also, work in sections, so that if you have to stop, you'll know where to pick back up and it'll be a little easire.

Good luck! I can't wait to see the final product!

Will give it a go... I can't have it looking the way it does right now. Will be sure to post a picture of the final product... when I get it right!

I also think it looks great but I understand that you probably want it completely full.

Not sure that this is the best suggestion but.....

how about brushing a little glue/nail polish in the voids and trying a little colored sugar (the cake decorating kind). I first thought of sand but I think sugar is less granular and hey you can even grind it to a fine powder if needed.

It just doesn't seem worth taking all the crystals off.

HTH

I'm not sure if this will help you out or not...but there's this stuff you can buy at scrapbooking stores called "Stickles" (it's made by a company called Ranger). They make all different colors of it, and even a clear one that just sparkles. It comes in a container like the puffy paint used to. You might be able to use that to fill in the gaps...if you are going that route, I'd make a mock up using your leftover gems on something else and see if you like the effect first!

Hmmmm I thought of maybe 2 ideas...

Do you think over-lapping them will look bad?? Like, where there are gaps, take a crystal and glue it in between, so some with be on the surface and some will be above?? ORR is there a colored "K" you can use, or a glossy peice of paper to use as a backsplashhuh.gif This way it wont be so obvious that there are gaps. (i didnt think it was obvious though, i liked it!)

Thanks guys, for the words of advice. I think I'm going to opt for re-doing it from the beginning... WITH the smaller crystals on hand.

Agape, "Hypo Cement/glue" Can you get that in a regular craft store? The needlepoint applicator is sounding like just what I need!