Jump to content

Photo

OMG! I Just Opened a Thread.....


  • Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#51 rodent

rodent

    VIP Member

  • VIP Member
  • 18,759 posts

    Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:40 AM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just Martha
    I think everyone missed my point! I don't care that the "c" word was used...I was stating the one time I log on from work I read a thread with that word in it and that it served me right for logging on from work!

    I am logged on right now from work....being very careful opening threads! ha!
    yeah, I got your point. I think it is just a complete threadjack to talk about words we use or dont.

    To continue with the threadjack, I've tried to stop calling women B's. I don't like how it's a gender specific insult. So I say things like "she is so abrasive" now. Trying to clean it up & get more specific as to why I want to call her a B.

    #52 jajajaja

    jajajaja
    • VIP Member
    • 9,794 posts

      Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:58 AM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by happyone
      I am studying to become a linguist and we believe that words themselves are not bad. They are arbitrary assignments to real world concepts. People make the words bad.
      LOL- this is just what I said YESTERDAY to my DH to defend my potty mouth. I said if you have a problem with cussing that's your fault. You are the one assigning the contation to the word.
      Happily married since 2008

      #53 jajajaja

      jajajaja
      • VIP Member
      • 9,794 posts

        Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:01 PM

        And Morgan- I call men B's too. Actually none of my words are really gender specific. I use them freely on everyone and anyone.
        Happily married since 2008

        #54 Hartyt509

        Hartyt509
        • Sr. Member
        • 2,262 posts

          Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by happyone
          In addition to my last comment, Melody. I still choose not to use that word. I understand that the word may be vulgar and offensive to you (understandably). Other people may find it acceptable in their dialects, however.
          Its frequently used in scottish (which isn't far off my lingo!) - different strokes for different folks lol Its nothing to do with respect its the language of where people are from as to what context its used in

          Anyway US and UK lingo can mean so many diff things lol like you say fanny for your backside we say it for something completely different lmao

          #55 Maura

          Maura

            VIP Member

          • VIP Member
          • 5,752 posts
          • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

          Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by starchild
          LMAO! I cuss like a trucker so I'm right there with you Maura! And I think the "c" word is terribly under-used...a special breed of woman fits into that word and sometimes you just have to go there!
          I guess I am in the minority because I would never say the "c" word or maybe it's just a generation thing. I think "we" women have come such a long way but still want some respect. And the way to get it IMHO is to respect ourselves:)
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by melody
          You may be right, but t is a sad day when a woman uses that word to describe another.
          melody, i dont think that i am disrespecting myself or womankind by using a word you find too offensive to use. i dont know what generation you are of so saying "maybe it's just a generation thing" leaves a bit to be desired.

          regardless, we dont judge others for their opinions here at BDW. so i say to you: to each his own.

          #56 DreaW

          DreaW
          • Banned
          • 2,462 posts

            Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

            girls, no fighting now....Everyone has their own opinion.

            #57 rodent

            rodent

              VIP Member

            • VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

              Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:26 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by LC_Rachel
              And Morgan- I call men B's too. Actually none of my words are really gender specific. I use them freely on everyone and anyone.
              maybe thats what I need to do then. If you call an equal number of guys Bs it's not gender specific. :)

              I just don't like how a guy who is real dominating tends to be called tough or agressive & a woman who acts the same way is often called B. It's more how people use it that make me not care for the word. And I feel like I can be more descriptive with other words. because some women aren't bad people like B implys, but just really hard to get along with or really demanding. So I've made an effort to pick better words. Mostly because after grad school I'll probably have a job when I'm the boss of someone. I'd hate to know I'm called a B just for being the woman in charge. And I want to clean up my language for when i do have a position other than grad student.

              I'm trying to stop saying "that sucks" too. I'll even say it during a presentation. Not that professional.

              Just a concious effort to clean up & professionalize my choice of words to not offend anyone. I don't think we should be censored, but in a workplace it would just be easier if I didn't have the habbit of saying certain things.

              #58 caroline

              caroline
              • Member
              • 697 posts

                Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

                Harty, I can remember the first time I heard an American talking about some guy smacking her fanny! I was like, "WHAT?!!" lol

                #59 Nrvsbride

                Nrvsbride
                • Sr. Member
                • 5,248 posts

                  Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

                  In fact, "c" wasn't considered obscene until the 17th Century. The earliest known reference in English is to a street frequented by prostitutes called "Gropecuntlane." Which sounds like a Monty Python joke, but it's not. (Sound it out.) In fact, according to some etymologists, "c" was not used as a term of abuse for a woman until the 20th century. Before that it only referred to a part of the body.

                  According to critic Matthew Hunt, it was replaced like other four-letter words by polysyllabic ones, which were considered more respectable. He explains: "Thus, 'c' was replaced with 'vagina' and 'vulva', 'crap' gave way to 'excrement', and 'piss' was surpassed by 'urine'."

                  According to etymologists, the modern word "c" does not relate to the Latin word cunnus, meaning pudenda. We're not sure how they're so sure of it, but they swear "c" comes from the Germanic root, kunton meaning female genitalia. Which is interesting if you consider the fact that the Germanic root is ku- meaning "hollow place," and the Latin root is keu- meaning "to cover, to conceal." These days the "c" is definitely considered a hole and not something that goes over or covers something else. Then again, in the end, a cunnus is a kunton, is a "c".

                  I got this from this link:

                  History and meaning of the word cunt - gURL

                  #60 Maura

                  Maura

                    VIP Member

                  • VIP Member
                  • 5,752 posts
                  • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

                  Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by DreaW
                  girls, no fighting now....Everyone has their own opinion.
                  i dont think anybody's fighting here... im just saying that around here we don't judge. to each his own. end of story. everyone is entitled to their own opinion - without being made to feel bad about it. this forum is a safe place to express opinions/feelings/thoughts so long as they are not at the expense of other members. we are a very respectful community here, i'd like to think.

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Morgan
                  ....So I've made an effort to pick better words. Mostly because after grad school I'll probably have a job when I'm the boss of someone. I'd hate to know I'm called a B just for being the woman in charge. And I want to clean up my language for when i do have a position other than grad student.

                  I'm trying to stop saying "that sucks" too. I'll even say it during a presentation. Not that professional.

                  Just a concious effort to clean up & professionalize my choice of words to not offend anyone. I don't think we should be censored, but in a workplace it would just be easier if I didn't have the habbit of saying certain things.
                  morgan, in the newsroom where i work i regularly hear cuss words. oftentimes, worse things than i would say myself! haha. i'm sure if i worked in an environment where i didnt hear it everyday, i'd be more likely to sound less like a trucker. that being said though, i think most workplaces use professional language at all times and i fully agree with you not liking the use of the word bitch to connote an agressive woman in the workplace.




                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users