More photos...

MikkiStreak

I'm always reluctant to post these because they're not wedding oriented... but at the same time, it's nice to hear comments (good & bad!) to give me an idea of what "works" and what doesn't visually....

Some of you know I've been trying to get back into photography (after a 10+ year complete halt), so this is what I've been up to lately.... feel free to comment in any way, shape or form! :)

IOWA SUNSET ON THE CORALVILLE LAKE RESERVOIR:

I love non-city sunsets because they have that gold/orange color that "makes sense" for a sunset. Back in 1993, this lake flooded Iowa City, and most of Coralville was submerged in water and closed for several months for rebuilding. It was a scary/awesome sight. When I was back last week, I kept hearing comments about how the water levels this early in the season are reminescent of that flood year. So I wanted to check for myself. If you look closely, there are 2 square concrete blocks to the left of the two trees clumped together. Those 2 concrete blocks are the tops of the public bathroom/showers for the lake. The normal start of the water at the beach is right where those 2 trees are; everything before those trees are where the parking lots normally are. It's not going to be a good year up there...

Click the image to open in full size.

DALLAS ABORETUM:

I'm soooo itching to have a bride/couple to put in these first two shots! :)

DOWNTOWN DALLAS

I'm thinking of putting one of these three photos in a competition this summer.... not sure which one, or if I'll even do it yet...

Gorgeous photos! I'm happy you are picking the hobby back up because it's obvious that you have talent. As for the pics for the competition, I love the first city shot! It's gorgeous! I love the "empty" street with the flash of light- from the headlights I'm assuming. I love how the street lights just twinkle too. The pic is really breathtaking and seems so alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Rachel View Post
Gorgeous photos! I'm happy you are picking the hobby back up because it's obvious that you have talent. As for the pics for the competition, I love the first city shot! It's gorgeous! I love the "empty" street with the flash of light- from the headlights I'm assuming. I love how the street lights just twinkle too. The pic is really breathtaking and seems so alive.
Thank you! I like your description! I'm very flattered! :) That first one in the city is my favorite too. Yep, the streaking lights are from the car headlights as they drove toward me. I have a "thing" for recording motion in images. I think about 90% of my college portfolio was built with that concept. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieMN View Post
I love the last few sets. I have never been a huge sunset/rise girl.

I love your compositon in the water fall ones-very beautiful.

The last set, of Dallas, is also very nice. You must have used some sort of tripods as they look so clean and blur free.

Thank you! :)

I'm the same way--- not much of a sunset/rise fan (unless of course, it's some exotic, phenomenal location!) either. Those were mostly personal: I miss the midwest and the sky there, and wanted this more for a "reminder". :) My interest in sky shots usually peaks when there's beautiful depth of color and lots of puffy clouds, but I also thought the sunset would be a good challenge because it difficult to get the proper light/dark values without over/under exposing. This wasn't perfect, but it was a lot better than I originally expected. :)

And yep, had to use a tripod for the city shots. I've been surprised tho that when I moved from film to digital, how dark it can be outside before I have to use a tripod. There's a lot more "forgiveness" with digital on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra E. View Post
I love going to the Arboretum and always look forward to the summer concert series. I like the first show of downtown. Great composition! It caught my eye immediately. Great work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeLynne View Post
I love the 3rd Iowa shot and the 2nd Arboretum shot! Followed closely by the 3rd Arboretum shot and the last one of Downtown - nice work Maria!!! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amym567 View Post
What gorgeous pix, Maria! Keep sharing!
Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeLynne View Post
P.S. If you need any models for the Arboretum shots Martin and I are always game! wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMrsB View Post
Very nice pics. I love the first Dallas shot. It really is awesome!!

Thank you everyone! You guys have backed up my thoughts on using the first city scene for competition. :)

Jaime, definitely will take you and Martin up on the offer. :) I need to practice with lighting first and study modeling/posing, but I had planned on offering some free sessions to people just so I can get some portfolio work built up. As soon as I feel prepared, I'll definitely let you know and see if you guys are still interested. :) (oh, and the third aboretum shot you mentioned---- I chuckle because a friend of mine calls it my "monet". hehe)