Brownsville accident...

MikkiStreak

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• VIP Member

Holy crap! First off, how does one maintain their composure enough to take a picture of that... second... how does only one person die? That is SO awful!

You just do.... photojournalist are trained to document the event and detach from the emotion... it's something not everyone can do, but those who can have been responsible for some of the world's most telling and gripping images.

As for the guy! How was he able to just drive up there? There's a cop car right next to him... During the Philadelphia bike race you can't go ANYWHERE! It's very sad and he deserves everything they can throw at him for sure..

This is a very personal thing for me... as some of you may know, Tim is currently serving 90 days in Montgomery County Correctional Facility with work release for a DUI. While he didn't hit anyone or anything he could have...

EVERYONE is guilty of drinking and driving... unless you don't drink, and this could have very well have been someone we all know in our lives because we all have THAT one friend or family member that skates on thin ice. So I feel that instead of chanting for a public hanging, we all try to make a difference in our own lives to spread awareness so this isn't someone you know!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlseege View Post
Holy crap! First off, how does one maintain their composure enough to take a picture of that... second... how does only one person die? That is SO awful!

Danielle, I hear what you are saying and I honestly feel for your situation.

I do disagree that EVERYONE is guilty of drinking and driving. I drink- A LOT sometimes but I have never put myself in that situation to drive. I also have called friends out and refused to get in the car when I have suspected they have been drunk. Hell I walked 10 miles home from a bar before (there are no taxis in my town sad.gif ) when friend who was suppose to be the DD got to drunk and still wanted to drive.

I don't think we need to call for a public hanging, but those responsible for incidents like this should be held accountable. He should go to jail and he should suffer the consequences.

If we are lenient and choose to instead focus on how to improve our own lives and spread awareness, I can't be for certain that people would truly learn. I can't even be certain that they truly learn after jail time becuase I know several people who have had 2-3 DUIs. But it certainly makes the family and friends of the victims they kill feel better knowing they are behind bars.

Oh Rachel.... NO I totally agree that he should be held accountable for his actions! I am PRO accountability, I was PRO Tim go to jail for that exact reason!

What I meant by everyone being guilty of drinking and driving was that.... no one thinks twice about getting behind the wheel after having a beer or two.... and that's drinking and driving. In PA the legal limit is .08 and has been for a few years and that isn't even a WHOLE bottle of beer. So legally you are driving under the influence.

It's really sad that Tim will call me (from jail) and say "Oh you'll never guess who's here too..."! And that is sad that it just points out that it's a serious problem and it needs to be addressed, so by taking the steps in their personal lives to make a difference could help make a dent in the problem.

And unfortunately having been going through this experience I have a learned a huge lesson and that is.... the local and county government seems to care more about the money you owe rather than getting the dangerous drivers off the street! And that is sad...

Ok I see what you were saying. :) I agree that most people don't even know what the legal limit constitutes as. I think states/counties should do a better job of educating the public in general. Why not have booths set up occassionally in which people can drink a beer then do a breathalizer. That way they understand how quickly the legal limit sneaks up. I would hope we could use a small portion of all the fines associated with DUIs to educate the public.

I was fortunate and volunteered for one of our college's training course for police officers. They had volunteers drink shots of alcohol every hour or so and then we were tested- breathalizers and sobriety tests. I mainly did it for the free booze. LOL They then arranged rides for us home. It was a great learning experience for me too because I learned how quickly I became intoxicated. After that, I would have never felt comfortable driving after drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Rachel View Post
Ok I see what you were saying. :) I agree that most people don't even know what the legal limit constitutes as. I think states/counties should do a better job of educating the public in general. Why not have booths set up occassionally in which people can drink a beer then do a breathalizer. That way they understand how quickly the legal limit sneaks up. I would hope we could use a small portion of all the fines associated with DUIs to educate the public.

I was fortunate and volunteered for one of our college's training course for police officers. They had volunteers drink shots of alcohol every hour or so and then we were tested- breathalizers and sobriety tests. I mainly did it for the free booze. LOL They then arranged rides for us home. It was a great learning experience for me too because I learned how quickly I became intoxicated. After that, I would have never felt comfortable driving after drinking.

you can buy cheap breathilizers. i've known people that pull them out for fun but also to enlighten everyone.

wow! U know what I don't get? If you see to the right of a picture there is a cop car. This happened in Mexico and MX police drive those kind of cars. U would think the cop could have seen the drivers erratic behaviour? Maybe not. Things do happen so fast. Still, what I find amazing is that only one person died (thank goodness).