• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Davematthews16

Davematthews16
  • Banned
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:40 PM

Ladies~
    I know there are posts about remembering a deceased loved one, but our situation is a little different. I'll sum it up as best I can. Bo's dad suffered from a major stroke in 2000 and is paralized from the waist down, and has lost a lot of his speech and has seizures. It's completely heart-breaking and is a very tough subject for FI to discuss. Bo has talked to his dad several times and they both know it will be just too hard for his dad to attend the wedding. Impossible really. (Too much to explain) We are going to save an open chair in the front for his dad, and want to do something to honor him, but don't want him to come across as deceased. Any ideas? Thanks I'm having a hard time with this one...

#2 Alyssa

Alyssa
    • 11,793 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

how about something special inside the wedding program - like a little paragraph talking about how great he is and how special and how he just couldn't 'physically' be there but is there

#3 kevsgirl

kevsgirl
      • 1,209 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

Is there any way that he could dictate a short letter that could be read aloud during the ceremony or during the reception?

That way everyone would know that he was thinking of you and he'd have a part to play, even if he's not really going to be there physically.

#4 happygilmore

happygilmore
        • 576 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:45 PM

I know some resorts are starting to do this but maybe you could look into a web came so his dad could be near a computer when you guys actually get married and can see you! If you get the setup where you can actually talk he'd even be able to talk to his dad to let him know how special he is! Just a thought!

#5 jmill130

jmill130
          • 601 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

I love the web cam idea if possible! That would be really nice:) Good luck!

#6 Christine

Christine
            • VIP Member
            • 21,514 posts
            • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
            • Wedding Location:Napa, California
            • LocationReno, NV

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

are you having the guys wear flowers? I would put one of the guys boutineeres (I know that is totally spelled wrong, sorry) on his chair.
            I love the idea of the webcam and if something could be read at the reception from him (even a favorite poem or something) would be so sweet.
            Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#7 Davematthews16

Davematthews16
            • Banned
            • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:29 AM

Thank you so much! I appreciate the responses

#8 Princess402

Princess402
              • 737 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by kevsgirl
                Is there any way that he could dictate a short letter that could be read aloud during the ceremony or during the reception?

That way everyone would know that he was thinking of you and he'd have a part to play, even if he's not really going to be there physically.
                I think that this is a really good idea.
                Plus this way it's not like people are being asked to "remember" him, you're basically hearing his thoughts and feelings as he is currently alive to think them/feel them even though he can't be there to witness your day in person.

The webcam is great idea also.

#9 Mylee84

Mylee84
                • 287 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

I completely understand what you are going through. My granny and papa (grandma and grandpa) wont be able to make it either. It is going to be really hard but My papa suffered a sever stroke in May of 2006. The only time he travels is to home for a few hours a day. Other than that he is at a nursing home. We are going to donate money to some type of stroke awareness program in his honor. Hope this helps!

Mylee =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users