Hey guys!

My fiance and I are going to Puerto Vallarta for our honeymoon in October and I wanted to see if you guys could recommend any hotels, restaurants or fun activities. I've told if you visit Puerto Vallarta to do the non-inclusive plans since there are so many tasty restaurants there. Any suggestions?!?!

Thanks!

Courtney

When we came, we stayed in a condo and loved it, as we had the option to cook, if we wanted to - plus it was just nice to live in the "neighborhood" with other locals and really get a feel for the culture (obviously this was before we moved here!).

Depending on your budget, I think Hacienda San Angel is a super romantic, amazing place to stay. I've been there a couple of times visiting friends and it just blows me away :). I also really love Villa Premiere - it's beautiful inside and it's adults only, so it's a little quieter (although right next to Buena Aventura which is a kid magnet and, thus, noisy :)).

There are A TON of condos in Vallarta and it's just a matter of searching them to find the one that sounds great to you (and within your budget).

Places I personally love to eat:

1. Brujos - amazing, traditional Mexican food. You must get the molcajete if you go there - it's amazing! My favorite dish.

2. Maria Candelarios - if you love tamales, this is THE place to go -and it's super inexpensive. My favorite tamale is the Oaxaquena.

3. Pipis - this is typical TexMex food but they give great portions, have amazing margaritas and the whole thing is super festive!

4. Majayote - this is a restaurant about 3blocks from me and they make THE MOST amazing carne asada tacos EVER. Super super yummy.

For a tourist, I think:

5. Vista Grill - good food, amazing view but $$$.

6. La Palappa - this is located on the beach and a great place to go if you want to eat somewhere along the beach

7. Las Caletas, Rythyms of the Night - I put this under "food" because they serve dinner there along with entertainment - I've never been, but I knew the dance coordinator out there and saw several of her shows elsewhere and it's amazing!

Great breakfasts:

1. Freddie Tucans - GREAT breakfasts - mix of American and Mexican breakfast and priced appropriately.

2. I don't have a name for this breakfast place but it is MY FAVORITE breakfast place - again located a few blocks from my apartment in 5 de Diciembre and DELICIOUS and CHEAP. It's this guy's house that he turns into a restaurant during the morning (from 8-12) - he has this beautiful little courtyard that you can sit at in the back and his food is so good, you won't be able to believe it! (seriously, not joking) - if you want directions, let me know and I'll send them to you. Hardly any tourists know about this place (which is super sad because it is amazing), but it's a GREAT find.

Clubs to go to:

Of course, this is all from a local perspective - a tourist might have a whole other idea :).

1. JB - salsa/dance club that's SUPER fun and has a GREAT DJ. There are two of them, but don't go to the one in Ollas Altas. You need the original club (way more fun) which is located on our main street. Any taxi driver will know where JB is (and I would say all of them will take you to the original, not the new club).

2. Manana - super fun, gay friendly club - good music, drinks not too pricey and super festive - it doesn't get hopping until 12, however - just something to know.

3. Encuentros - this is my favorite place to go for a drink. They have great drinks and also offer little appetizers like this amazing little pizzas - all with fresh ingredients and perfect to eat for a snack before a night on the town. Great, laid-back quiet atmosphere.

4. La Bodequitta - I don't think a visit to PV is complete unless you visit here and get a Mojito. It's a cuban bar/restaurant and they have live music every night starting at about 10:30. Really great place.

Things to do:

Again from a local perspective wink.gif.

1. I love taking the snorkeling cruise to the Tres Marias - I'm not fond of snorkeling by Los Arcos - it's smelly over there.

2. The Pirate cruise - I went on it once and it was super super fun. Of course, it's a booze cuirse (just fyi).

3. Ziplining - we went on the zipline tour to Eden, but there are a bunch of them - my husband loved this activity.

Hope that was helpful - any other questions just let me know! :)

we stayed at Casa de Brisas which is in Punta Mita about a 45 minute drive north of PV. It was beautiful, the food was amazing and the staff was unbelieveable. It only has 8 rooms so it's very private. it's all inclusive but very intimate so not your typical buffet All inclusive. we had a car and drove into PV every other day. it was unbelieveable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilou View Post
we stayed at Casa de Brisas which is in Punta Mita about a 45 minute drive north of PV. It was beautiful, the food was amazing and the staff was unbelieveable. It only has 8 rooms so it's very private. it's all inclusive but very intimate so not your typical buffet All inclusive. we had a car and drove into PV every other day. it was unbelieveable.

Lori, is this the place you stayed?
Casa De Mita...Welcome Home!

Looks like their name is now changed? or at least that is what I am finding when i google Casa de Brisas. If this is it and it is all inclusive and private this is awesome! I am looking for a good honeymoon spot that is all inclusive! Let me know if this is the one! thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODestBride2009 View Post
Lori, is this the place you stayed?
Casa De Mita...Welcome Home!

Looks like their name is now changed? or at least that is what I am finding when i google Casa de Brisas. If this is it and it is all inclusive and private this is awesome! I am looking for a good honeymoon spot that is all inclusive! Let me know if this is the one! thank you!
yes, that's the place. it's wonderful!! i'll try to upload some photos this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilou View Post
yes, that's the place. it's wonderful!! i'll try to upload some photos this weekend.

Cool some pics would be awesome! I just tried to pull reservations for next april and the dates I would want are blocked already! BOO! Maybe I will try to give them a call and see if anything is available!

We have always stayed in a condo in Zona Romantica (Also called Old Town) and love the ambiance and culture of that area... There are several condos available along Los Muertos beach...

The one thing I really enjoyed about being in the condo was walking down to the fish market early in the morning and picking up huge fresh shrimp and fish for the day's meals... and fresh tortillas from the tortilla factory... yummy!! I wish I was there now!! In the evenings we would just walk down Olas Altas and stop in at whatever place along the way for a bucket of beers... there are many and you can just take in the atmosphere... or head down to the Malecon for a really romantic walk....

There are many great restaurants, pubs, etc in that area (Freddie Tucan's is a great place for breakie!)...

Pipis is a "must-do" but go hungry! The portion sizes are gargantuan! Its very popular and there is often a lineup of people waiting in chairs along the sidewalk but they move people through pretty quickly. We have always taken friends new to PV there for the experience! Lots of laughs... we even joked with my mom (who goes to PV every year for the past 15 and has had her fill of Pipis) that we were doing our wedding reception there! LOL - she just about fainted!

I almost wanted to do PV that way for our wedding, except we don't want to cook, etc and we don't want to have to worry about our guests doing the same thing so we picked Dreams (an AI) so that we were only a quick cab ride away from Old Town!

Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn6603 View Post

I almost wanted to do PV that way for our wedding, except we don't want to cook, etc and we don't want to have to worry about our guests doing the same thing so we picked Dreams (an AI) so that we were only a quick cab ride away from Old Town!

Jenn
I LOVE Dreams! That's my favorite hotel to work at! :):) Good choice!

We are having our ceremony and staying five nights at Hacienda San Angel. We are then moving on to Verana for five days. Both are pretty awesome. Though, Verana doesn't open until November so depending on what time you arrive in PV you could stay in city then travel on to Verana from there. Verana has a small B&B Casa Tiempo in PV which is $150 for 2 people and includes breakfast. They opened the B&B primarily for guests of theirs that want to stay in the city a few nights prior or directly after their stay at Verana. Hope this helps!

Here's the links to both places.

Hacienda San Angel

Verana

Veran's PV Rental