Sign in to follow this  
Copita

Chlorine (pool) and your ring question?

Hey, girls... Brides.com sent me this 1-month-to-go checklist... Thought it may be helpful:

Congratulations: Your wedding is just 1 month away!

Stay on schedule by tackling these tasks.

Call guests who have not mailed back their response cards.

Make your place cards.

Finalize your vows.

Pick up your wedding dress.

Confirm your honeymoon reservations.

Decide whether you want a ceremonial send-off, with rose petals or bubbles; purchase these materials.

Give must-shoot lists to your photographer and videographer.

Give must-play and do-not-play lists to your reception musicians.

Distribute wedding-weekend task lists to key helpers.

Do some stress-relieving activity every day.

Apply for your marriage license.

************And I just wanted to add here?... am I alone here... I know mostly who is coming to our wedding, but of ALL the people who have booked, only like 5 have have RSVPed. WTF?!!! It is SO annoying!!!

Apparently it doesn't damage the gold itself but affects the metals that are mixed in with the gold. I googled and found the following:

"Chlorine is extremely detrimental to karat metals and should be avoided. Special care should be taken with detergents, cleaners, and other industrial or household formulas. Consider that levels of chlorine and other chemicals can be increased by evaporation of fluids, leaving concentrated deposits. In particular, this makes spas and swimming pools undesireable for gold jewelry."

"Chlorine, especially at high temperatures, can permanently damage or discolor your gold jewelry. Do not wear gold jewelry while using chlorine bleach or while in a pool or hot tub."

I really don't think that it will damage it. but I have words of advise if you go in the ocean with your ring. I would suggest that you take it off. I worked at an insurance company that insured valuables. Anyway.. a lot of people lose their rings in the ocean because the salt water makes your fingers smaller which is easy for it to slip off your fingers and don't know it until it's too late and it gone. So if anyone is doing water things in the ocean, take off your ring.

I read on here that it's possible cholorine could damage. I still wore mine anyways because I would rather have my ring re-dipped than stolen. It looked perfectly fine and was all sparkly! I've even had my ring checked since I have been back and no problems. The prongs are still holding up tight.