alteration cost-$110 for a bustle?!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jamisoncollette

• 1,257 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:24 PM

I had my first fitting today, I love the dress I finally decided on! However, the alterations cost more than the damn dress did-is $110 normal for a bustle? I was expecting the hemming to be a little more because there are three layers but my goodness, should alterations really cost more than the dress did?

#2 StephanieMN

• 1,798 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

Mine cost just as much as the dress and the bustle price seems about right. Mine were $5 per bustle and there were a lot of them.

#3 mjm160

• 58 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

I paid around the same for a hem and bustle. It's ridiculous!

#4 dmarie17

• 276 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

They originally told me that my dress was going to be a minimum of $250 to alter... I laughed... they weren't joking. I found a great lady that does alterations out of her home and the total was under $50.... and that includes the bustling The dress shop will always charge you top dollar because they know that people will pay it, but if you look around, there are other options. A lot of dry cleaners now do alterations as well. Ask around... someone always knows someone in the alteration business! Good Luck!!
          If you plan on visiting Chicago before your wedding, you can borrow my lady!!! :)

#5 ACDCDCAC

• Moderators
          • 25,218 posts
          • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
          • LocationSeattle

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:51 AM

wow there are lots of other threads about this so don't feel alone! my dress was $299, and my alterations total was $260, the bustle being most of that due to a 16 point pick-up bustle

#6 jajajaja

• VIP Member
          • 9,794 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:51 AM

Depends on the type of bustle. They charge per point. I only had one so it was actually really cheap for me. It sounds like you have a really intricate bustle. Alterations are very expensive- even at some mom and pop places. I took my BM's dress to one and just got the bottom hemmed. It was $50 to do that. If I trusted myself, I would have hemmed the damn thing myself since the dress wasn't even $50!
            Happily married since 2008

#7 jamisoncollette

• 1,257 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:03 PM

Yes, the bustle has three spots. I don't know if I have time to find a mom and pop place to do the bustle since the wedding is in 25 days.

#8 jajajaja

• VIP Member
              • 9,794 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:06 PM

3 points? That's it? Ok I think they are ripping you off then. I believe it was like $10-15 per point for mine. Meaning- I paid $10 for a bustle. The hemming was the most expensive for me.
                Happily married since 2008

#9 CJEB

• 182 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

Have you tried pricing up a normal tailor? They might be much cheaper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users