Sign in to follow this  
Christine

Parent Gifts

I wouldn't think so, that would be weird. I think we will just do it for the three sets of parents contributing to the wedding, although we might pay for my FI's mom's hotel room for the night of the wedding because I don't know if she would be able to stay otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly76 View Post
I have a question, do you still get the parents gifts even if they're not contributing to paying for the wedding?
There really are not any hard rules about buying gifts for your parents. I think it's just a thoughtful thing to do if they have helped you out whether it is financially or any other way. Or it could even be considered a thank you just for raising you and being there for you throughout your life until the point of marriage.

Parents do so much that I don't think a little thank you is ever out of line. Of course, some people are not blessed with the world's best parents. If you feel like you really don't want to give them one, I wouldn't do so and wouldn't worry about it one bit. :)

Its not that I don't want to give them a gift and I haven't decided yet if I will, I did think maybe it would be more of a thank you for everything else in life, not just if they make a financial contribution to the wedding. I guess I'll have to really think it over. I was considering making them an album with pictures from the wedding, but obviously I wouldn't be able to give them that until later.

Well about the parents gifts. Were paying for EVERYTHING ourselves but we still plan on buying our parents something small. Just so they have soemthing to remember our wedding.

My parents are not paying for my wedding as well. I was planning on making them a photo album of the wedding and that was going to be their gift. I have been reading articles about buying parents gifts and most of them suggest photo albums or pictures.

I guess since we won't have the photos until after you could do one of those gift certificate books you used to make when you were younger and tell them to pick out certain pictures and you will make them a book?

My parent's are footing the bill for Dreams set-up fee for the ceremony/reception and my FMIL is doing the same for the welcome dinner. I had originally budgeted 1000. for all 3. I really wanted to treat them since my Dad and FMIL will be 50 and they've spoiled us thus far. Budget no longer really allows for the 1k splurge but this is what we're doing.

Dad: his wedding suit and shoes probably a putter/driver

Stepmom: Pendant probably some gemstone to match her dress

FMIL: Pearl necklace and bracelet set

We were also thinking about just sponsering a boat ride and dinner since they will arrive a day before the remainder of our guests.

I think it's nice to acknowledge the parents at the welcome/rehearsal dinner with a gift. Whether it's a hankie or pin, just something.