Photo

How to spend gifts of money?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AmandaR

AmandaR
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

Even though DH and I had a really small wedding, we've accumulated more than $2k in checks and cash. For those that received cash gifts, how did you spend it? DH wants to pay it all to the student loan gods and I think we should buy something for the apartment (i.e. new furniture, curtains, etc). I don't want to be frivolous with such generous gifts.

Amanda

#2 1elephant

1elephant
    • VIP Member
    • 15,998 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

most of my friends used the money to buy something for their home, or as a down payment for their homes. we used it to pay for part of our wedding.
      i'd splurge - when are you ever again going to have a spare $2k?

#3 Alyssa

Alyssa
      • 11,793 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

oh Amanda that one is easy - you paypal them to me ROFL!

#4 jajajaja

jajajaja
        • VIP Member
        • 9,794 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:31 PM

I vote you splurge. It's a gift. I bet the gift givers would be so disappointed to see it go towards something unfun such as student loans. Plus student loans have such a low interest rate. Why bother?
          Happily married since 2008

#5 Samantha S

Samantha S
          • 369 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:22 AM

I agree! At least splurge part of it.

#6 AmandaR

AmandaR
            • 241 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:00 AM

I agree - I think we should definitely splurge with part of it! I'll show DH these posts to help back-up my argument!

Another idea came to me last night. We could use the money toward a 1-year anniversary trip, that would be amazing!

Amanda

#7 Alyssa

Alyssa
              • 11,793 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:02 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Asteff2001
                I agree - I think we should definitely splurge with part of it! I'll show DH these posts to help back-up my argument!

Another idea came to me last night. We could use the money toward a 1-year anniversary trip, that would be amazing!
                that is my favorite idea!!! i love it :)

#8 foxytv

foxytv
                • VIP Member
                • 7,740 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:07 AM

We got about $3500 in cash and checks. Tom had me pay off my car and start getting rid of some small, older debts still haunting my credit report. Not necessarily how we wanted to spend the money, but it made sense since we are going to put his house on the market and build new this fall. This way, hopefully my credit will finally be cleaned up so we can add my income to the loan.

Some of the money we are using to make photobooks for our parents and print pics for guests that we will include for them in Thank You Cards.

And we got plenty of gift cards for Macy's, BB&B and Home Depot so all of that is going into the house -- as it should!

#9 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 18,759 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:39 AM

I would do both. Put some towards student loans & some into the house.

Our registry is full of stuff for the apartment so we won't use our gift money for house things. I'm putting it in a high yield savings account for a down payment on a house once we are settled somewhere. If we had debt from the wedding I'd first pay that off.

#10 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
                    • VIP Member
                    • 18,452 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:45 AM

I would do both if you can like morgan suggested.

We are planning on paying some credit card debt off and if we have enough maybe getting hardwood floors or new carpet (most likely) in our family room.
                      ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
                      Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
                      Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users