Publisher or Photoshop?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 foxytv

foxytv
  • VIP Member
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:34 PM

I love this thread!!! Tom is getting me a new laptop for my birthday so I am going to wait until then to try out the free trials of some of these programs ... but I want to customize photo books for each family with wedding photos ... so this sounds like a great place to start! I've looked at some of the photo book sites but they don't allow me the ability to do the things I want with designing it.

Keep the info coming!!!

#22 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 18,759 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by foxytv
      I love this thread!!! Tom is getting me a new laptop for my birthday so I am going to wait until then to try out the free trials of some of these programs ... but I want to customize photo books for each family with wedding photos ... so this sounds like a great place to start! I've looked at some of the photo book sites but they don't allow me the ability to do the things I want with designing it.

Keep the info coming!!!
      for photobooks I'd say definitly get lumapix (if you have a PC). It's great for making books.

#23 kevsgirl

kevsgirl
      • 1,209 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:54 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by coquetayloca
        I was also going to offer that... lol.
        Yes! Yes! Free bootlegged copies rock!

#24 beachbride09

beachbride09
        • 150 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by kevsgirl
          Yes! Yes! Free bootlegged copies rock!
          I was thinking the same thing!

I've been thinking about CS3 but wasnt sure if my patience and attention span would justify the expense.
          http://farm4.static.....3ca1220c_m.jpgJanuary 20, 2009
          Grand Cayman Island

#25 chiefscribe

chiefscribe
          • 33 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

Publisher vs. Photoshop? Photoshop, no contest! Or GIMP, as mentioned above. The menus can be daunting, but just search for tutorials for the things you need to do, and use the help menus, and you'll be fine.

(Also, for anyone who needs the functions of Microsoft Office but can't afford it, you know you can get similar functionality from the FREE and open-source OpenOffice.org. On Mac, you have to install another program called X11, and use ctrl instead of cmd key for shortcuts, but it's no big deal. Almost identical to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.--but it's an open-source project. And you can open MS Office documents in OpenOffice, or save OpenOffice docs in MS Office formats, PDFs, etc.)

#26 Hitched Invites

Hitched Invites
            • 39 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:16 PM

Hi guys as graphic designer by profession, for basic page a layout and photos, I wouldn't suggest Photoshop. All the programs I use are super expensive but thats for my job. Photoshop is not a page layout program, for extensive text you'll need InDesign, Illustrator, Quark or Freehand-which no longer exists. If you do not want to spend the money you could use Word just depends on how good you are with it, I can't use Word for the life of me, but I have seen somethings created in it that amaze me!

Currently there are no trials from Adobe for CS3 and usually they are only 30 days which means if your not sure what you are doing its going to be a busy 30 days!!!!!

#27 lhsing

lhsing
              • 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

if you really want to purchase photoshop, they give students a discount. i think it costs ~$200 for a student vs. $600. i love photoshop. you can do a lot with it, photo editing, invites, flyers, welcome bag stuff, etc... from my personal experience, i would buy photoshop again...

#28 Hitched Invites

Hitched Invites
                • 39 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:27 PM

Jason also brought up a good point, the programs are expensive and in the past people just shared serial numbers. The industry is making it harder and harder now to do that, some programs actually log into a home computer at the software company to check if you are the legal owner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users