San Antonio girls, tell me about the airport

rodent

My dad is flying out of the San Antonio airport. He hasn't flown in 30 years & he is in a wheelchair. He is getting worried about it. I told him I was going to send him an entire packet of stuff to help him. I'm mailing him a passport wallet that he can wear around his neck. It will have his travel documents, the navagating the cancun airport guide, his flight info, maps to san antonio airport, etc.

But, I've never been to the SA airport. Is it pretty easy to navagate? how do you know what terminal to go to? He is flying either Ryan Air or I think they have been replaced by AeroMexico.

How is parking? Is it hard to get a close spot? Is there an option for valet parking? Or someplace you can park & get bused to the door?

When you get to Cancun, is the airport wheelchair friendly?

I wish someone else was on his flight, but no one is. It's a non-stop so atleast that helps.

we decided he should stay at a hotel near the airport so he doesn't have to worry about parking & running late. He lives 1 1/2 hours from SA.

I'm going to call some tomorrow & confirm the hotel shuttle is wheelchair accesible. Then he can get dropped off at the door.

Also, I need to make sure he can leave his truck at the hotel. I'm pretty sure the hotels near airports allow that.

I'm feeling much less worried now. It's going to be a difficult trip for him. I can't wait to be in Mexico so I can stop planning!

They are remodeling right now so it is a mess...but easy to navigate. Terminal 1 holds certain airlines and Terminal 2 holds the other airlines.

The aiport is right off of 410, and there are plenty of hotels right around the area...not sure about leaving the truck there though. It is pretty expensive to leave the car at the airport, so hopefully you have good luck at leaving it at the hotel. But, if he does need to leave the truck at the aiport, the parking garage is right across from where he would need to enter. It might be a little of a walk for him if he is used to a wheelchair. I do not think they have valet. I could be wrong, but I have never seen any....

Once inside the airport it is still easy to navigate. I actually haven't been inside since they started remodeling but I drop Jay off there all the time and he never has any problems.

I don't know if Ryan Intl or Aeromexico are in Terminal 1 or 2..but the signs are easy to see...

I guess my answers didn't help you out too much....

I hope someone can give you some info on the Cancun airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Martha View Post
They are remodeling right now so it is a mess...but easy to navigate. Terminal 1 holds certain airlines and Terminal 2 holds the other airlines.

The aiport is right off of 410, and there are plenty of hotels right around the area...not sure about leaving the truck there though. It is pretty expensive to leave the car at the airport, so hopefully you have good luck at leaving it at the hotel. But, if he does need to leave the truck at the aiport, the parking garage is right across from where he would need to enter. It might be a little of a walk for him if he is used to a wheelchair. I do not think they have valet. I could be wrong, but I have never seen any....

Once inside the airport it is still easy to navigate. I actually haven't been inside since they started remodeling but I drop Jay off there all the time and he never has any problems.

I don't know if Ryan Intl or Aeromexico are in Terminal 1 or 2..but the signs are easy to see...

I guess my answers didn't help you out too much....

I hope someone can give you some info on the Cancun airport.
Thanks! I'm think some hotels will let you leave a vehicle there. We did that in Houston once. Maybe we paid parking. I have a list of hotels to call tomorrow. I'm just glad to hear it isn't hard to navigate the airport. I'd hate for him to be in a huge airport like bush.

Getting to the airport these days is a mess with the construction going. If he will be heading west on 410, he needs to get off Broadway exit (the exit before Airport exit) and stay on the left lane. He has to make sure to stay on the left lane cuz he'll need to get back on to 410 then exiting immediately at the Airport exit.

Majority of the airlines use Terminal 1, I think Aeromexico should be there too. Terminal 2 is the smaller one and only three airlines use them, one being Air Mexican. But double check with the airport just to be sure.

We usually park at the Economy parking lot, that's $5 a day. But I am not sure if the shuttle is wheel chair accessible or not (probably not, I remember one time watching a lady trying to get a stroller up and a gentleman had to help her to lift the stroller up). There is long term parking across from the terminals but some walking is required.

Have you found any hotels that will let you leave the car there? How long will he be leaving the truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonie View Post
Getting to the airport these days is a mess with the construction going. If he will be heading west on 410, he needs to get off Broadway exit (the exit before Airport exit) and stay on the left lane. He has to make sure to stay on the left lane cuz he'll need to get back on to 410 then exiting immediately at the Airport exit.

Majority of the airlines use Terminal 1, I think Aeromexico should be there too. Terminal 2 is the smaller one and only three airlines use them, one being Air Mexican. But double check with the airport just to be sure.

We usually park at the Economy parking lot, that's $5 a day. But I am not sure if the shuttle is wheel chair accessible or not (probably not, I remember one time watching a lady trying to get a stroller up and a gentleman had to help her to lift the stroller up). There is long term parking across from the terminals but some walking is required.

Have you found any hotels that will let you leave the car there? How long will he be leaving the truck?
Thanks for the info. I got him a room at a hotel by the airport. They will drive him to the terminal & pick him up. He can also leave his truck there. And it was only $70 a night. I think it will be worth it so he can relax. Otherwise he'd be leaving his house before 4am.

I mapquested the directions & it's a breeze. There were two options 37 (281) right through SA or the 410 loop. Both are about the same distance. Which would you suggest? I'm not sure the time of day he'd be going.

Where is he traveling from, south or north? There's no construction right now going 281 southbound, but I am not sure about northbound. 410 typically is very easy and if he's going west bound, just make sure to follow the instruction mention previously. Texas highway is pretty easy to turn around if you miss the exit so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Depends on the hour of the day he travels, rush hour both route will be pretty hectic.

morgan, the main job i have been doing for my airline the last 4 years is wheelchair services!

my best advice for dad is to call ahead to the airline and make sure they put a special code in his reservation that requests wheelchair services. when he gets to the airport to check in he needs to let the agent know he will need a pusher to get him thru security and to his gate. (im assuming he has his own manual power wheelchair?) if he has a battery operatied wheelchair or scooter, he can take care of himself, but you should still let the airline know he needs aislechair assistance on the aircraft (if he can't or really has trouble walking or being mobile himself), also that he has this type of his own mobility device (again im assuming he has his own mobility device and wont be needing to borrow one at the airports.)

once he arrives at his gate after going thru security, tell him to let the agent know he needs early boarding so they are aware he is there and ready to go, and also to double check that he will have wheelchair assistance waiting for him upon arrival in cancun.

after that, it's up to the airline agents to make sure he gets priority boarding and settled on the plane.

oh yeah, dont forget to tell him if he does want early boarding to get food and or use the restroom prior to the early boarding time to ensure he is at the gate ready to go when the agents are best able to assist him.

hope that helps, let me know if you have any more Q! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougsGirl View Post
morgan, the main job i have been doing for my airline the last 4 years is wheelchair services!

my best advice for dad is to call ahead to the airline and make sure they put a special code in his reservation that requests wheelchair services. when he gets to the airport to check in he needs to let the agent know he will need a pusher to get him thru security and to his gate. (im assuming he has his own manual power wheelchair?) if he has a battery operatied wheelchair or scooter, he can take care of himself, but you should still let the airline know he needs aislechair assistance on the aircraft (if he can't or really has trouble walking or being mobile himself), also that he has this type of his own mobility device (again im assuming he has his own mobility device and wont be needing to borrow one at the airports.)

once he arrives at his gate after going thru security, tell him to let the agent know he needs early boarding so they are aware he is there and ready to go, and also to double check that he will have wheelchair assistance waiting for him upon arrival in cancun.

after that, it's up to the airline agents to make sure he gets priority boarding and settled on the plane.

oh yeah, dont forget to tell him if he does want early boarding to get food and or use the restroom prior to the early boarding time to ensure he is at the gate ready to go when the agents are best able to assist him.

hope that helps, let me know if you have any more Q! :)
thanks! it's great to have an expert around :) It's on his funjet e-ticket that he needs wheelchair assistance. He will be taking his own manual wheelchair. Should he also call ahead? Or should it be taken care of now that it's on the ticket?

Morgan! Is he a disabled vet? I heard on the news or read somewhere a few days ago that disabled vets get free parking at the airport...I don't know if there is a certain amount of days they get for free, but if he is, it might be worth looking too.....is the hotel charging $70 a night to keep his car there??