Sign in to follow this  
azhuskergirl

Has anyone had plantars fasciitis?

I've recently developed pain in my heel the day after running. At first I thought I just needed new shows, but the pain didn't go away after getting new running shoes. Has anyone else had it/treated it?

There's not much you can do, just sort of tough it out.

You can buy a splint thingy at most drug stores that will keep the ligament stretched while you sleep. If you know you are going to be doing heavy activity, you can also tape/wrap your foot to give you some more stability. There is the old heat and ice routine to ease the muscle and reduce swelling. You could also check into some orthodic insoles to be sure you have enough arch support.

I would check with your doctor to be sure it isn't a bigger problem (bone spur, stress fracture, etc) and see what the recommended treatment is.

I have all kinds of problems with my right foot, it was crushed in a car accident and I broke 7 bones. I'm looking into a new product called YogaToes that is supposed to help stretch, exercise, and re-align your foot. I'll let you know how they work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinB View Post
I have all kinds of problems with my right foot, it was crushed in a car accident and I broke 7 bones. I'm looking into a new product called YogaToes that is supposed to help stretch, exercise, and re-align your foot. I'll let you know how they work!
please do!

I need to make an appointment to rule out the stress fracture. Ugh!

My fiance had that a few years ago while playing college football. It was so bad he had to be on crutches for a week. He stayed off of it for a long time and it finally got better.

I have heard Yoga Toes work wonders too. I have been wanting to try them forever! Hope your foot gets to feeling better!

one trick to help is to get a frozen can of juice (orange juice, limade, whatever) and roll your foot over is for 10 min 3x/day. also rolling your foot over a tennis ball helps too.

I suffer from it, it's torturous because it never really goes away.

I am in the process of doing physio for mine. It flared up last October and I tried to tough it out and ended up making it worse because the tissue/tendons in my right heel got all tightened up. I've been limping around like a 90 year old on and off since last October. At one point I could barely stand when I got out of bed in the morning.

I thought I needed new orthotics because it was hanging on so long, went to a pedorthist, bought 2 different new pairs of really good sneakers, but nope, ended up having to see a physiotherapist to try and fix it. I haven't been able to go to the gym for almost 2 months which really sucks. She does ultrasound therapy to loosen the tissue/tendons, gets me to use a tennis ball, hot and cold, tape, massage and stretches. Thankfully, I am almost back to normal because it's getting pricey and I am almost out of coverage.

Make sure you get it checked because it is a PITA if you do have it and you are doing yourself more harm in the long run if you ignore it. I know wish I didn't wait so long before getting it checked out.

Oh and a hint when you ice, dampen the towel you wrap around the ice pack to make it more effective and only leave it on for about 8-10 minutes. I also use an ace bandage to hold the towel wrapped ice pack on.