Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2011 View Post
Hi Brides, does anyone know if we can have our reception in the French Restaurant? Can anyone tell me which restaurants are adults only? Thanks for your help!

Loving your review Sandra, so helpful.
Unfortunately, you can't have your reception at the French Restaurant. It's used for dinner nightly. All of the restaurants allow children, being it's a family resort. The nights we went to dinner there were families that had children, but were well behaved. I guess they would know if their kids can handle a more classy environment.

Just got back from my site visit at the Barceló and I’m so happy I chose this resort for my wedding. My sister and I already had a trip to Cancun planned, so we booked a room at the Barceló Maya Caribe for Monday night and met with Claudia on Tuesday.

We had left early since we’d only have 2 days at the resort and arrived at 11am (took about 1 hour from Cancun). We received our welcome drinks and checked in, but were told our room wouldn’t be ready until 3. We were given our all inclusive wristbands and were told we could use the lockers in the gym to store our stuff in so we could go to the pool/restaurant/bar. We headed to the Caribe pool which was very nice. Plenty of hammocks and chairs were available by the pool and they had American music playing. They had a swim up and walk up bar right there which was awesome. We ate the lunch buffet at Captain Morgan’s which was pretty good. We returned to the front desk at 3pm and received our room key. Because we were staying only 1 night, we didn’t get any tickets to the ala carte restaurants, but were informed we could pay extra to eat dinner at one. We headed over to guest services, and made reservations at the Brasserie restaurant in the Palace for $20 each, since our guests will be staying at the Palace for our wedding in May and I wanted to check it out.

We then headed to our room which was in the Sayil building. The room was a little disappointing to me- just your average room, nothing special. The beds were a little hard and the room never did cool down, despite keeping the AC on the coolest settings. That had me a little worried at first, but Claudia showed us 2 Palace rooms and they are gorgeous! After getting settled in our rooms we headed to the lobby bar for some drinks before dinner. A mariachi band was playing in the lobby and they were great! We took the tram over to the Palace for dinner at the Brasserie. That restaurant is amazing- so beautiful and the food was delicious. I had the surf and turf and everything was prepared perfectly. The lobster soup was also great and had huge pieces of lobster meat in it. The waiter let us pick 2 desserts each and those were great as well! After dinner we headed back for bed.

The next morning we got up to meet with Claudia. She is so nice and does speak great English. Upon arriving, she showed us the book of flower choices. I believe I ended up picking the same bouquet Sandra did. She also showed us the options for the chair bows and I picked the shimmery orange ones since my colors are pink and orange. There was a sample table setup in the wedding coordinators office so you could see what the tables would look like. Then Claudia showed us a book of possible reception and ceremony options. We then left the office to see them in person. Because one of our groomsmen is a wheelchair user, we couldn’t look at the beach sites that had deep sand. Claudia first took us to the Palmeras Pool. I wasn’t too crazy about this location because you couldn’t really see the Caribbean Sea from there. Next stop was the Palmeras Grill. The grill is huge, but Claudia said they would section whatever wasn’t being used off. The grill had a great view of the Caribbean and was my second choice for a reception. Next we went over to the Palace and saw the gazebo which I selected for my ceremony. She then showed us the Coral beach reception area and I fell in love! The sand is packed much harder here and they said they would be able to put a ramp for our guest in a wheelchair and have a table close to the walkway for him. This location already has lights around the palm trees which look beautiful at night. We then selected a terrace in the Palace that overlooks the gazebo and Coral Beach to have our cocktail hour in.

Claudia then showed us around the Palace lobby, some of the bars and then I asked if we could see a guest room. We looked at 2 rooms, which were beautiful. Much more modern, classy and updated than the Caribe rooms. I am so happy we chose to have our guests book the Palace- that section of the resort is much newer, the décor is gorgeous, has the largest pool (absolutely enormous), and has the added bonus that guests staying there can go anywhere in the resort, but resort guests not staying at the Palace can’t come there. Definitely worth the extra money in my opinion.

Some things I got clarification on from Claudia:

•Frozen drinks are included for the receptions.

•You can decide to add the extra hour to the reception now or during the reception

•Guest names should be given to her no later than 3 weeks prior to the wedding date, so she can arrange for the guests rooms to be near each other

•She said we could have a rehearsal dinner the day before either at the Palace buffet restaurant during the first seating, or possibly the Brazilian restaurant at the 9:30 seating depending on resort occupancy for no extra charge.

•Backup location in case of rain is a banquet room for the reception.

My sister took a bunch of pictures of the resort and I’ll post them as soon as she sends them to me. I am so happy I was able to do the site visit. The resort is great and I’m sure all my guests will have a great time. I can’t wait for May! Let me know if you have any questions!