Hi Everyone,

I'm getting married at the Maya Beach Resort on January 18, 2017. The resort is completely sold out and I am scrambling to find spots for some guests who decided they would wait and wait and now here we are. Here are our choices:

- Mint Breeze Package

- Wedding Planner: Yasmin

- 4pm symbolic beach ceremony

- 6pm reception in the banquet room

- dinner: sea scallops salad, asparagus soup, beef tenderloin, creme brulee

- about 51 guests in total

I do have some questions that I didn't see in the posts above:

1. During your reception program, do you still do the introductions and that if you have a small group? Most of the guests are friends and there will be one table of 6 of my mom's aunts and uncles. Everyone else will know everyone else. 

2. On the spreadsheet that they make you complete, it says this beside our choice of having a minister: 

$300 usd deductede from the wedding package 

Yasmin and I don't always understand each other and she hasn't been able to explain this. She just keeps saying it is included in our package.

3. Does anyone have an uneven wedding party? Did all of your bridesmaids stand on your side and the groomsmen on your hubby's side, traditionally? We have 4 bridesmaids and 9 groomsmen. Long story.

4. I don't really want to have to pay for a DJ. $700USD is so outrageous in my opinion. Did your reception do ok without one?

5. For those brides who brought their own decorations/centerpieces, what sorts of things did you bring? I can only go on pinterest for so long before my brain gets scattered lol

6. My daughter will be 2.5 years old and can be a little unpredictable. She'll be our flower girl/ring bearer. Any tips for her walk down the aisle?

Thanks for all your tips and the ones to come :)

Hola @@carolynbauto congrats on your upcoming wedding. Barcelo is an absolutely beautiful resort. 

Have an uneven bridal party isn't a problem and you shouldn't worry for a second. When it comes to standing during the ceremony it really comes down to how traditional you are. We've always experienced the bridesmaids on one side and the groomsmen on the other but it's your wedding do you do what ever will make you happy! <3

post-287055-0-08123800-1475093557_thumb.jpg

@@carolynbauto

I am getting married a little after you on March 3rd, 2017 at 4pm as well :)

I heard the minister is included in your package but then also heard you need $300 cash for him.  I am confused on this as well, sorry I couldn't help here.

As far as the wedding party goes, I also have an uneven amount of people.  What I am doing is having two guys walk one girl down.  Maybe have one one guy walk alone or with your mom and the other ones walk with one girl.

I am having the Strawberry Package which includes a DJ but yes $700.00 is ALOT!

I am working on center pieces as we speak.  I am looking on Pinterest also.  I wanted something simple yet pretty but it makes it hard to have glass items especially when flying.  I'll keep you posted on things I find :)

I will be having my niece as the flower girl and she is 3.  I am giving her a bucket and filling it with flowers to throw on the aisle.  I'm hoping this will keep her entertained on her walk lol.  You can also have someone walk with her too.

I hope this helped a little bit.

I have a few additional questions for you :)

1) What are you doing for a photographer?

2) Have you decided on a hair salon or are you doing your own?

Stacy!

@@carolynbauto

I am getting married a little after you on March 3rd, 2017 at 4pm as well :)

I heard the minister is included in your package but then also heard you need $300 cash for him.  I am confused on this as well, sorry I couldn't help here.

As far as the wedding party goes, I also have an uneven amount of people.  What I am doing is having two guys walk one girl down.  Maybe have one one guy walk alone or with your mom and the other ones walk with one girl.

I am having the Strawberry Package which includes a DJ but yes $700.00 is ALOT!

I am working on center pieces as we speak.  I am looking on Pinterest also.  I wanted something simple yet pretty but it makes it hard to have glass items especially when flying.  I'll keep you posted on things I find :)

I will be having my niece as the flower girl and she is 3.  I am giving her a bucket and filling it with flowers to throw on the aisle.  I'm hoping this will keep her entertained on her walk lol.  You can also have someone walk with her too.

I hope this helped a little bit.

I have a few additional questions for you :)

1) What are you doing for a photographer?

2) Have you decided on a hair salon or are you doing your own?

Stacy!

Thanks @@smfahey !!

We are flying our own photographer down. Apparently this is going to cost us an extra $500. I've heard some horror stories about pictures from local photographers, the quality of the photos and the amount. At least if we bring our own photographer down, we know the quality of the photos that we are getting and he'll be photographing our entire group for the week - candid shots and everything.

One of my friends growing up (who happens to be my hubby's cousin) will be doing hair and make up. I'm hoping it won't take too long since there's only 4 of us in total. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I want to know that a lot of things are gonna be ok before we get down there. The more I can handle beforehand, the better.

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting married at the Maya Beach Resort on January 18, 2017. The resort is completely sold out and I am scrambling to find spots for some guests who decided they would wait and wait and now here we are. Here are our choices:

- Mint Breeze Package

1. During your reception program, do you still do the introductions and that if you have a small group? Most of the guests are friends and there will be one table of 6 of my mom's aunts and uncles. Everyone else will know everyone else.

2. On the spreadsheet that they make you complete, it says this beside our choice of having a minister: $300 usd deductede from the wedding package

Yasmin and I don't always understand each other and she hasn't been able to explain this. She just keeps saying it is included in our package.

3. Does anyone have an uneven wedding party? Did all of your bridesmaids stand on your side and the groomsmen on your hubby's side, traditionally? We have 4 bridesmaids and 9 groomsmen. Long story.

4. I don't really want to have to pay for a DJ. $700USD is so outrageous in my opinion. Did your reception do ok without one?

5. For those brides who brought their own decorations/centerpieces, what sorts of things did you bring? I can only go on pinterest for so long before my brain gets scattered lol

6. My daughter will be 2.5 years old and can be a little unpredictable. She'll be our flower girl/ring bearer. Any tips for her walk down the aisle?

I can answer some of these!

1) I had a small wedding and almost everyone knew each other. We still did a quick intro just for the bride and groom.

2) My uncle was our officiant but I do know that the $300 cash has to be paid directly to their officiant. The reason why Yasmin says it's included is because they won't waive the $300 for bringing your own officiant (I tried!). Assuming that you pay the officiant directly, the $300 will be deducted from the overall price.

3)I've been to weddings where they had uneven numbers. Actually, they had almost double the number of groomsmen than bridesmaids. One bridesmaid walked down with two groomsmen and nothing seemed wrong with it at all!

4)I didn't have a DJ, only because most my guests were elders. I did have a bunch of children and they had a blast dancing to the playlist I plugged in to their speakers.

5) I took two large luggage filled with decorations and they were perfect! You can find my post in the "Post your centerpieces here" thread by clicking on my username. I took everyyyything I needed except for sheer fabrics for the gazebo.

6) I had three kiddos in my wedding party, and one 2.5 yr old walked down with a 5 yr old so they was fine. They practiced a few times during the rehearsal but I can see kids getting confused because it's a pretty long walk! And the 2.5 yr old forgot about the flowers until later so she dumped it all but that was the real highlight of their walk! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @@smfahey !!

We are flying our own photographer down. Apparently this is going to cost us an extra $500. I've heard some horror stories about pictures from local photographers, the quality of the photos and the amount. At least if we bring our own photographer down, we know the quality of the photos that we are getting and he'll be photographing our entire group for the week - candid shots and everything.

One of my friends growing up (who happens to be my hubby's cousin) will be doing hair and make up. I'm hoping it won't take too long since there's only 4 of us in total. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I want to know that a lot of things are gonna be ok before we get down there. The more I can handle beforehand, the better.

You are much better off with your own photographer! I heard the horror stories as well and hired my own. When I saw the resort photographer's photos there I was soooo glad that I spent the extra $$$ and the resort fee of $500. No regrets at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone,

- Mint Breeze Package

2. On the spreadsheet that they make you complete, it says this beside our choice of having a minister: 

$300 usd deductede from the wedding package 

@@carolynbauto

@@TaraW

RUN!!!!!!

My wedding date is January 14, 2017 and I have just found out why the resort has sold out.  There is a 3 day Phish concert during my wedding.   This is bringing in over 5,000 people for 3 days in a row.  It is not only the Barcelo resort, but they are also bussing in people from 6 other resorts. What a nightmare.  And what makes it worse....Barcelo is not disclosing it to their brides.

@@carolynbauto

Google Clah My Playa.  If you want your wedding to be overpowered by a bunch of country music stars with their concerts and a bunch of random people, then by all means keep your wedding on that date.  

And for those getting married a few days after that, there is a music festival of ex-Grateful Dead bandmates.

So if you want a resort who doesn't care about your wedding and doesn't even tell you about these events that are happening at the same time that will overtake your "spotlight" then by all means keep on planning.  Otherwise, RUN!!!!!!!!  I am not having my 40+ guests paying all that money for their vacations to just be ruined by thousands of roudy drunk people.  It is not spring break.  It is not Woodstock.

I have just been in touch with my agent and we are now switching resorts.  My guests don't deserve this.

@@yooyooo

Thanks for all of this! So what you're saying though is that if I leave it as is, they will take care of paying for the minister?

I think I'm going to have them all walk but have them sit in the front row instead of everyone standing. This could still change. I've changed my mind so many times but it seems right.

@@vida

I knew there had to be a reason that it was booked for a solid two weeks! I will definitely discuss this with our agent and wedding planner. We went to an all inclusive this past January where the entire complex was sold out and it was a nightmare. From beginning to end. Thanks for the info!!

Wow that's terrible news about the concert.  So sorry for the brides looking to get married around this time! I'm glad my wedding is over and done with!! :)

For those brides wondering about a DJ, I say if you have a small group DON'T spend the money!!  I brought down my iPod and plugged it in to their fabulous sound system and danced the night away with my guests for a cost of 8.95   ..... the amount I paid for the "wedding DJ" app! :)  It was awesome! You can build play lists for different parts of your wedding (dinner music, first dance, reception, etc) and program it to pause and do different time delays between the songs. SOOOO glad I didn't hire a DJ for my intimate wedding and spent the money on other things my guests enjoyed way more. We also skipped having a dance floor, kicked off our shoes and danced on the sand without any regrets!  If we had a much larger group we would have hired a dj and had a dance floor, but anything under 20-25 people I wouldn't bother. But different things are important to different brides so this is just my opinion! :)

@@yooyooo

Thanks for all of this! So what you're saying though is that if I leave it as is, they will take care of paying for the minister?

I think I'm going to have them all walk but have them sit in the front row instead of everyone standing. This could still change. I've changed my mind so many times but it seems right.

@@vida

I knew there had to be a reason that it was booked for a solid two weeks! I will definitely discuss this with our agent and wedding planner. We went to an all inclusive this past January where the entire complex was sold out and it was a nightmare. From beginning to end. Thanks for the info!!

@@carolynbauto

starting on January 19th is another music festival called Crash My Playa.  It's a country music festival.  I think people are arriving prior to that to the resort so will be pretty packed again.  No concert on the night of your wedding but the resort will still be pretty full.  We scrambled and have found a new resort that is available on relatively short notice. Thankfully they don't have anything going on like the Barcelo.  Phew!