I need help please. I am using a travel agent and she reached out to barcelo. Theh told her that we cannot customize anytgj g and there are no "add on" options. Is this correct? I thought i have read where a lot kf you have done this. This was my first choice resort and now im not sure what i will do. Please help=(

Hi there,

What specifically did you want to customize exactly? Your wedding package you mean? If so there are TONS of customizable options, so I'm not sure what they are talking about? If you provide me some specific examples of what you were meaning / thinking of, we can all offer our assistance! :) 

@@KirstenChrisDW2016

Yes I apologize...the ceremony package. Since we are having a reception back in the States, I would like to customize it to where the package is more ceremony focused and not so reception heavy. What types of options do they offer?

I am not sure what my agent asked specifically but her email back to me was "Barcelo Maya said that there is no ala carte option. And you can't customize packages." I am completely happy with that, not sure if she is just saying that or if she misunderstood. Thoughts?

@@TaraW

Edited by KirstenChrisDW2016

@@KirstenChrisDW2016

Hi again!

I tried to copy and past a link to here but it wouldn't let me do it, so if you go on Google and type in "Barceló Maya Resort wedding packages 2016" you will get the wedding page and a link (second result down after the sunwing all inclusive ad ) that will show you all of the different wedding packages they offer. Click on that and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "for more information click here" and the pdf documents should come up. 

There is nothing in there that speaks to having just a wedding (not sure if you are having guests attend or not, or if it's just you are your hubby to be?) but there may be something that will fit with what you are looking for? They have a Blueberry Dream package that is a little less expensive that focusses on the ceremony and only a cocktail hour afterwards, and then you can always add things to if you wish?  If you check out the last few pages of the brochure you will see some different add on options as well.

Take a look at the document first and let me know what you think!

@barcelobride2016  - welcome to the forum!

It may seem like lots to do but you will get through it fairly quickly once it gets rolling. Definitely first things first - decide on your favorite location in the resort for your wedding! I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, it's just depends on what you are looking for and what you envision. Some of the locations book up fast so get on that part as soon as you can! I'm sure if you have questions or need clarification on some things about locations you can ask here first - we may get back to you faster than your WC! :)

Once you get started on the plans, set a location and start the process, I'm happy to send you some documents I have if you'd like. The WC will not let you proceed through to the next step until you have decided and answered her back on everything from the previous step. I can forward you the info that I've gathered throughout the process so you and your fiancé can sit down and pour over it so you can make some tentative decisions ahead of time and be more prepared as she walks you though it and not feel like you are help complete hostage to the (sometimes) lengthy delays in getting email responses. Just be prepared that it can take up to a week for them to respond, so don't be too alarmed!! :)

Happy planning!!

@@TaraW

Thanks so much I would love those documents!!  you can send it to linds_1982@hotmail.com

That would be super helpful!! :)

@@SammyMac - If you are planning on having some pics taken with your fiance before the wedding (first look) then it should be enough time?? That will be about an hour before and 90 min after. I guess it depends on how many guests will be there and what kind of pictures you are looking for.  I've put the thoughts out to my photographer to see what she thinks but i'm still waiting to hear back.

The reason we went with Playa Azul location is because it had this beautiful pristine beach area, and was far away from the action of the resort. I figured the wedding guests would be okay in the sun for a 30 min ceremony, although I did mull over the lack of shade issue. But since it will also be at 5:00pm, it shouldn't be too bad. We are having a legal ceremony, but we are also having a Shaman attend in full ceremonial dress/costume as well, so he would attract quite a few onlookers in a more populated area  of the resort!! :)  

Well THAT was weird! I just heard back from my photographer about a minute after I posted above! I wrote her a week ago! haha

Anyhow she says that 90 min should be plently of time for photos after the ceremony if we also take them before the ceremony, so I will keep my times as-is for now.  I agree that 2-1/2 hours total is enough posing :) We also only have 20 people max coming so there aren't a ton of guests photos to take.

I've also finished all of my planning with my WC!! Yay! Nothing else left to do now except the spa bookings a month in advance. If anyone is hoping to check out the dinner menu options, cocktail menu, bouquets, centerpeices, cakes, huppas, etc I have all the documents and can sent them along to your email if you'd like a peek! :)

Hello,

Could you please send me the dinner menu options you mentioned above to stasia2914@yahoo.com  thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just thought I would check in to see how planning is coming along! I took a bit of a planning vacation and am just getting back into it today. I'm currently working on the reception timeline, decorations and seating arrangement. Also, my dress came in last week and I tried it on for the first time yesterday. I was super nervous and wasn't sure if I would still love it, but when I tried it on I was so excited. Except it was a bit snug so I guess it's time to hit the gym again!

@@TaraW I'm pretty sure we are doing both the ceremony and reception at Playa Azul so if I get any information on lighting there I'll let you know! :)

Also, trying to think of awesome bridesmaid gifts and maybe even a welcome package for guests. If anyone has any ideas let me know! :) Happy planning everyone!!

Lighting at Playa Azul was great! We had paid extra to have the palm trees lit up! Great idea, and I think only like $40 for 8 trees? Which is fine because the guys have to stay after their shift to put them up. 

As far as a welcome bag, I bought each room a beach bag. Inside the beach bag I had room key holders with a plastic zip cover and arm band so they could wear while swimming.. also I bough bubba mugs with personal labels that had our wedding logo printed on it. Also, I put in a beach ball and cheap sunglasses. They were such a great hit, without spending a ton of money! Most of it I found off amazon. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JF812M?keywords=arm%20band%20key&qid=1446342823&ref_=sr_1_15&sr=8-15

http://www.amazon.com/Heavyweight-Vertical-Holder-Resealable-1815-1110/dp/B004APYQI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446342858&sr=8-1&keywords=badge+protector

http://www.amazon.com/SySrion-Brand-Sand-Away-Beach/dp/B00LBUYZK4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1446342924&sr=1-1&keywords=beach+bags

* Bought the bubba mugs off their website. Also, if you join their email list I think they will send another discount! (15%) 

Happy Planning! 

Ps It goes by so quick, so enjoy your time planning I got married on January 7th, last year and can't believe how time flies!

*I guess I am having trouble uploading the photos. 

Let me know if I can be of any help! 

Hi everyone, just thought I would check in to see how planning is coming along! I took a bit of a planning vacation and am just getting back into it today. I'm currently working on the reception timeline, decorations and seating arrangement. Also, my dress came in last week and I tried it on for the first time yesterday. I was super nervous and wasn't sure if I would still love it, but when I tried it on I was so excited. Except it was a bit snug so I guess it's time to hit the gym again!

@@TaraW I'm pretty sure we are doing both the ceremony and reception at Playa Azul so if I get any information on lighting there I'll let you know! :)

Also, trying to think of awesome bridesmaid gifts and maybe even a welcome package for guests. If anyone has any ideas let me know! :) Happy planning everyone!!

Bridesmaids Gifts, I gave each a bag (link below) Inside I put lip balm, mints and a handwritten thank you personalized to each girl. Also, paid to have them get their nails done at the salon. Which I had put in the note :) Giving that you are most likely flying you might not want to bring anything to big!. ;) 

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Floral-%26-Wedding/Wedding/Favors/Black-%26-Rhinestone-Bridesmaid-Cosmetic-Bag/p/4115-TE0235

P.s With the hobby lobby they almost always have %50 off their wedding supplies.  Hope this helps 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!!!

I wish I found this forum a long time ago. I saw other various ones from previous brides but not of those anticipating 2016! I saw someone's comment saying everyone in this chat is so helpful and will reply quicker than the resort WC. I sure hope so!!!

Here is my situation, I am planning to marry May 21st, 2016. Of all resorts, I like Barcelo Palace (my fiancé and his family has been there and they all loved it), and Azul Fives by Karisma (I stayed at their adult only hotel and it was very nice, the food was great too).

Anyways, I have my date "on hold" however I need to confirm with them by making my reservation at the hotel. This needs to be done by early next week or the date is gone! I have been working with Christian regarding questions I have to gauge approx how close to my budget I'll be, how many guests ideally we would want, and what to expect from the packages and the resort.

Currently I am planning to have the Mint Breeze package. Ideally I would love to have the reception on the beach but right now we have 70 ppl (we are waiting for everyone to rsvp), and I'm trying to find stay within a budget just as everyone else. If there are much less guests (in the end I am hoping about 30) then I will change to the Strawberry Breeze package. I'm undecided at this point... It depends on guest count. ????

I was wondering if anyone went to the resort, has any information as far as where the reception could be (photos of the beach areas and/or the banquet hall options). I noticed a lot of posts saying Azul Beach, or some other restaurant options.

The resort wedding coordinator has been very helpful so far, however I was hoping to have a lot more information by now. I'm indecisive because I don't want to make a meh decision for the resort, something overly expensive after putting the down payment, plus I need a photographer (the resort photographer is too pricey and the reviews aren't that great), etc. I am going for something simple, nothing too over the top... I never thought it would be this difficult and I would be so indecisive (this is really unlike me!).

Please give me any input you may have! I would love to hear suggestions, comments and any information you may have. So far I have the package lists, the menu options, I'm not sure how the extras cost as for decorations and such. I'm hoping it's not an arm or a leg. Also please tell me why you chose Barcelo! I know a lot of you have done much research on this ????????

Thank you everyone, I'm excited to make new friends on this forum! -- April