Hello All! I'm a newly engaged Canadian Bride seriously considering the Barcelo Maya Palace for my 2012 wedding. Have read the last 100 pages on this thread and am very please to read (for the most part) that everyone's wedding has been a success at this resort. We're still considering a couple of the Dreams Resorts...and though i see how great the BMP is - I'm a little concerned about the prices of their packages compared to Dreams.
So far -I'm pretty sure i'll be hiring an outside photographer...makeup/hair..DJ...and possibly flowers/decorations  - so having said that - is it really worth even getting a wedding package? As opposed to just paying per person for a private dinner? I think thats about all thats left over other than the cake. Or maybe I'm forgetting something..lol. stupid.gif

Any input would be great! We're meeting with our TA tomorrow and hopefully finding out prices to book!

thanks all! woot.gif

Don't forget about the justice of the peace or officiant, and ceremony decor/set up. I'm not sure what Barcelo does for private parties, but I know they've doen them because I've seen some bride have a welcome or rehersal dinner set up on the beach. Another good website for Barcelo info is the Unofficial Barcelo Maya website. They have a discussion board on there with just about everything you would need to know about having a wedding there.

Originally Posted by Sunshine2680 View Post

Hello All! I'm a newly engaged Canadian Bride seriously considering the Barcelo Maya Palace for my 2012 wedding. Have read the last 100 pages on this thread and am very please to read (for the most part) that everyone's wedding has been a success at this resort. We're still considering a couple of the Dreams Resorts...and though i see how great the BMP is - I'm a little concerned about the prices of their packages compared to Dreams.
So far -I'm pretty sure i'll be hiring an outside photographer...makeup/hair..DJ...and possibly flowers/decorations  - so having said that - is it really worth even getting a wedding package? As opposed to just paying per person for a private dinner? I think thats about all thats left over other than the cake. Or maybe I'm forgetting something..lol. stupid.gif

Any input would be great! We're meeting with our TA tomorrow and hopefully finding out prices to book!

thanks all! woot.gif

Thanks! Ya - Im thinking it will have to come down to pricing everything out individually.
it just seems silly to book a wedding package that includes things that I won't be using. Like a photographer.

Originally Posted by Meggers7484 View Post

Don't forget about the justice of the peace or officiant, and ceremony decor/set up. I'm not sure what Barcelo does for private parties, but I know they've doen them because I've seen some bride have a welcome or rehersal dinner set up on the beach. Another good website for Barcelo info is the Unofficial Barcelo Maya website. They have a discussion board on there with just about everything you would need to know about having a wedding there.

Regardless of whether you book a wedding or not, you will probably have to pay the outside photographer fee if you are planning on bringing one in.

Originally Posted by Sunshine2680 View Post

Thanks! Ya - Im thinking it will have to come down to pricing everything out individually.
it just seems silly to book a wedding package that includes things that I won't be using. Like a photographer.

A question for Canadian brides - I noticed that Transat has wedding packages for Barcelo again.  Anybody have any experience with them? How much extra do they charge you to have an outside wedding? Is it the same food? The packages seems reasonable $1500 is the most expensive...

As we're budgetting for our wedding, I was just wondering how much everyone spent on tipping.  For example how much did you tip the wedding coordinator, the justice of peace, the mariachi band (if you had one), and the servers/bartenders at your reception?

Any insight is appreciated!

I just want to let everyone know I received an e-mail in regards to the French Restaurant from Victoria and it is true you must pay $10,000 to rent out the entire restaurant and also you must purchase the mint breeze or strawberry passion package. So crazy!

Michelle 2010- Can I ask what made you decide to switch from Dreams Riviera Cancun to the Barcelo Maya Palace?

It is crazy, I know i wouldn't pay it. It does look beautiful in there and i dont mind sharing it with other diners..;o)

We loved DRC but it was the gazebo that tipped the scales for us. We really wanted to get married at a beautiful gazebo and not on the beach and the DRC gazebo really wasn't for us. Other than that we loved it, It took us months to decide but the BMP just has it all and we like the fact its a bigger resort with lots going on :o) We also have two children and the rooms seem a lot more spacious at the Palace compared to the Dreams..