Water Island/St Thomas

July09

Petunia

I think we may have been seperated at birth. I had emailed the man who owns the place on Water Island where we wanted to have the wedding to ask him if Gladys's caters. Food wise I like them about the same, but I've always gotten better service at Gladys's and I'm sure you know service on St Thomas is very hit or miss.

When I first moved to St Thomas I lived just up the hill from Cuzzins so I had lots and lots of meals there and worked them off by walking back up the hill.

Chris (my fiance) and I are probably going to end up just having who ever shows up show up. We still have quite a few friends on island and if we do get to move back then I suppose it won't be a destination wedding, but whatever.

We're now thinking of contacting a couple of different places to see if we could have our "party" there. Latitude 18 being one and Hull Bay Hideaway being another. They're both more our style. We were thinking about Sopchoppy's (I think it's been renamed, but not sure) too, but I think that might just be a little too public, but that's where we would hang out after work and holds tons of great memories.

The rumors had just been confirmed about Poor Man's being sold about the time we moved off the island. I heard they were going to try to class the joint up for the tourists.

I used to work at Pirate's Cove and I think that would be a good place if it wasn't down in the mosquito infested lagoon. I've also heard they're rebuilding.

I've been reading the V.I. newspaper online as well as some message boards and it really makes me want to move back sooner rather than later.

Do you get to go to your timeshare often?

I wish I had some plans, but I think we may be winging it as we go. But that's also why I came to this forum. Hoping for ideas and inspiration. Ehhh, I'm just not much of a planner. Besides, who really cares about a 40 year old bride prancing around in a marshmellow fluff dress? Not me!!

How come you're waiting until 2010 if I may ask?

• 3 weeks later...

petunia,

Like your plans! Sounds great!

July09,

tho Honeymoon beach is awesome, will there be someplace for the elders to cool off? Been SOOOO long since I have been over there! Go to Tickles a lot!

Good Luck with your plans!

July09,

Been away from my desk and still am! Up in Alaska visiting my fiance's kids that were born in STT, go figure that! lol!

I somehow missed the whole of post #11, must have been writing at the same time!

I will be off Island until 6/26 but the girls are in the office to help you with any questions!

Hull Bay is a nice spot! Another local I know is planning his wedding at Dorothea Condos pool- he lives there. Hull Bay would be all that you needed and not too many people around!

Good Luck!~

Hi Sherri

Thanks for taking time to reply to me while you're on vacay. That must have been quite a long flight. I'm still attempting to compose an e-mail to send to your business, but I really don't know where to start. I'll figure it out. Hope you have a great time in Alaska!

• 5 years later...

Hi All! So so so happy & thankful I found this thread! I am getting married in St John on Trunk Bay May 6th 2014. We are staying at the Marrriott Frenchmen's Reef in St Thomas. I am having trouble deciding the logistics of our actual wedding day. I originally wanted to take a private boat from st thomas to st john, get married, get pictures taken, get back on the boat and go back to st thomas for dinner at the marriott, however, I think my plans are changing.

After speaking with the marriott, I was bummed. They told me I could not make a reservation for 35 and that I would have to do a banquet in one of their event spaces. I didn't really want to use any of their spaces so I asked if they could just serve us dinner on the beach. They charge a $2000 set up fee in addition to each persons dinner and alcohol bill. It seemed very pricey to me to just set up dinner and chairs on the beach. I have a rather large budget, but I am not down to get ripped off. 

I am wondering if anyone could recommend a place in st john for a dinner. I really would prefer a "beach party" after dinner, but I haven't even suggested this to Marriott yet... thoughts anyone? 

Also, we are getting married in the afternoon. I want to get pictures done after our ceremony... what do i do with that time lapse for our guests? We didnt want to have a formal cocktail hour but does that mean they just hang out on the beach? I feel a little overwhelmed with everything and would appreciate advice!!