Share your ceremony script!

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I want to say that I did not write these -- I got them off of weddingbee.com from some amazing brides who shared their hand-written scripts.  There are two here; we will probably end up combining our favorite parts of both. 

Opening Words

We are gathered here today to celebrate the marriage of Rachael and Jesse. We come together not to mark the start of a relationship, but to recognize a bond that already exists. This ceremony is a public affirmation of that bond.

Rachael and Jesse, you have come here today from your varied life experiences to make public the commitment you have made to each other. You come to combine your two separate lives into one.
Although you will be sharing one life, never forget, you are two separate people. Cherish and affirm your differences. Love each other. Keep your commitment foremost in your mind and heart. Together you will laugh and cry, be sick and well, be happy and angry, share and grow.

If you will ensure a healthy lasting marriage, always, always value each other. Although you will disagree, remember to respect each otherâ€s feelings, needs and wants. And above all, never, never lose your sense of humor.

I would like to read for you a few words which I feel are appropriate on this day.

From “The Coupleâ€s Tao Te Ching: “A Sacred Spaceâ€, from the sixth century B.C.:

Your love requires space in which to grow.
This space must be safe enough
to allow your hearts to be revealed.
It must offer refreshment for your spirits
and renewal for your minds.
It must be a space made sacred
by the quality of your honesty,
attention, love, and compassion.
It may be anywhere,
Inside or out,
but it must exist.

From the Buddhist Marriage Homily:

To say the words love and compassion is easy. But to accept that love and compassion are built upon patience and perserverance is not easy. Your marriage will be firm and lasting if you remember this.

The Vows

Officiant – Jesse, do you come before this gathering of friends and family to proclaim your love and devotion for Rachael? Do you promise to support her, respect her, and care for her during times of joy and hardship? Do you commit yourself to share your feelings of happiness and sadness? Do you pledge to remain faithful to her?

[Jesse answers]

Officiant – Rachael, do you come before this gathering of friends and family to proclaim your love and devotion for Jesse? Do you promise to support him, respect him, and care for him during times of joy and hardship? Do you commit yourself to share your feelings of happiness and sadness? Do you pledge to remain faithful to him?

[Rachael answers]

The Exchange of Rings

Officiant – The rings you give and receive this day are the symbols of the endless love into which you enter as husband and wife. Such a love has no beginning and no ending, no giver and no receiver. You are each the beginning and the ending, each the giver and the receiver.

Officiant - Jesse?

Jesse - This ring symbolises my desire that you be my wife from this day forward. With this ring, I thee wed.

Officiant - Rachael?

Rachael - This ring symbolises my desire that you be my husband from this day forward. With this ring, I thee wed.

The Blessing

Officiant – [Addressing congregation]
Family and friends, this is a moment of celebration. Let it also be a moment of dedication. The world does a good job of reminding us of how fragile we are. Individuals are fragile; relationships are fragile too. Every marriage needs the love, nurture, and support of a network of friends and family. On this wedding day I ask you not only to be friends of Rachael or Jesse, but friends of Rachael and Jesse together, friends of the relationship.

[Addressing Rachael and Jesse]
Rachael and Jesse, may the love you have found grow in meaning and strength until its beauty is shown in common devotion to all that is compassionate and life-giving. May the flow of your love help brighten the face of the earth. May the source of all love touch and bless us and grace our lives with color and courage.

In closing, I would like to read to you these words from an Apache wedding prayer:

Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter to the other.
Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth to the other.
Now you will feel no loneliness, for each of you will be a companion to the other.
Now you are two bodies, but there is only one life before you.
Go now to your dwelling place, to enter the days of your life together.
And may your days be good, and long upon the earth.

The Announcement

Rachael and Jesse, having witnessed your vows for marriage with all who are assembled here with you, I announce with great joy that you are from this time on, husband and wife.

You may kiss.

Welcome

Welcome! Please be seated. My name is Joel. I am Kendraâ€s father. I feel deeply honored that Chris and Kendra asked me to officiate at their wedding ceremony. I have witnessed their relationship from the beginning, when I picked Chris up from his house for their first date together. And now, ten years later, I am thrilled to be a part of their wedding.

On behalf of me, my wife Lorrie, Chris†parents†Rebecca and Michael, I would like to thank you all for coming to affirm and celebrate the bond of love between Chris and Kendra. They both feel that your presence here today makes this occasion extraordinarily special and that the love and support from each of you has provided the stepping stones to this moment.

Chris and Kendra, on this, one of the most important days of your lives, you stand within a wondrous circle of love. You are surrounded by your dearest friends and family who are here to witness and participate in your marriage, as well as by the thoughts of those who cannot be here and would have greatly loved to share this experience with you.

We are gathered here today to witness and to celebrate the coming together of two lives. We have come to join this man, Chris, and this woman, Kendra, in marriage. This is a beautiful and joyous occasion because it acknowledges their commitment to each other in deep friendship and love. This union is the result of a ten-year relationship that has been tested, matured and evolved over time.

Family Thanking

Today represents not only the joining of Chris and Kendra, but also the joining of their families. They would like to say a few words of gratitude to their families.

Kendra: Rebecca, Michael, thank you for raising Chris to be the kind, inquisitive and passionate man that I have fallen in love with. Lauren and Alexis, thank you for protecting Chris and for being the other two peas in the pod.

Chris: Lorrie and Joel, thank you for the wonderful job you did raising Kendra. She is the most caring, loving and supportive person I know and she means the world to me. Kevin, thank you for looking after her and helping mold her into the woman she is today.

Prayer

I would like to invite Chris†grandfather, Felton, to say a prayer for this occasion.

{Chris†grandfather

gives a prayer he wrote in advance}

Thank you for those beautiful words.

Words on Marriage

Marriage symbolizes the intimate sharing of two lives. This sharing must not diminish, but enhance the individuality of each partner. You do not shed your individuality, for that is what brought you together in the first place. Marriage is the loving declaration that you should be no other than yourself.

A lasting marriage is not stagnant. The relationship and each individual are continually growing and developing. Your understanding of each other deepens and evolves. It is not this ceremony or the state of being married that will truly join and hold you together, but your ongoing commitment to your relationship and to the kind of life you wish to make together. In this way, your marriage will not be just a symbol; it will be more than that. It will be an action, something you work actively on every day.

In marriage, we give ourselves freely and generously into the hands of the one we love, and in doing so, each of us receives the love and trust of the other as our most precious gift. But even as that gift is shared by two people who are in love, it also touches the friends and family members, who, in various ways, support and contribute to the relationship.

All of you are Chris and Kendraâ€s community, and each of you has played some part in bringing them to this moment. The gathering together of this community is an important part of a wedding ceremony. Chris and Kendra are now taking a new form as a married couple, becoming part of their community in a new way.

Family & Friend Vows

Chris and Kendra, you do not enter into this marriage alone or without support. I have a special request of all those gathered here today. I call on everyone here to make a promise to support Chris and Kendra as they enter into marriage, to supply them wise council and words of encouragement if called upon by this beautiful couple.

As I ask the following questions, if you can make the promise to the couple, please respond with words, “We will.â€

Will you, gathered here today, support and aid in any way asked, to the best of your ability?

Will you guide them, the best way you can, using your accumulated wisdom?

If asked, will you supply them with words of encouragement and affirm your belief to them that they can overcome any and all obstacles that might come in their path?

Thank you all for your vows of commitment to this couple.

Words of Love

As a first demonstration of this commitment, Chris and Kendra have asked a few members of their friends and family to share their thoughts on love and marriage. These people have helped shape and mold this coupleâ€s ideas of love.

{Chris†sister, Kendraâ€s best friendâ€s mom and Kendraâ€s mom read pieces they had each previously written about love.}

Reading

Vows

Chris and Kendra will now state the vows that they have written for one another.

{Vows to be discussed in another post . . .}

Exchange of the Rings

The ring is an outward and physical sign of the vows you have made today and of the inward bond that you share. Let these rings be a sign that love has a past, a present and a future, through you and within you.

Chris, take Kendraâ€s ring. Place it on her finger and repeat after me:

As a ring has no end, neither shall my love for you. With this ring, I thee wed, and bestow upon thee all the treasures of my mind, heart and hands.

Kendra, take Chris†ring. Place it on his finger and repeat after me:

As a ring has no end, neither shall my love for you. With this ring, I thee wed, and bestow upon thee all the treasures of my mind, heart and hands.

[Guest photo]

We will commemorate this union with an Apache Wedding Blessing:

“Now you will feel no rain,

For each of you will be the shelter to the other.

Now you will feel no cold,

For each of you will be warmth to the other.

Now there is no loneliness for you,

For each of you will be companion for the other.

Now you are two persons,

But there is one life before you.

Go now to your dwelling place to enter into the days of your togetherness.

And may your days be good and long upon this earth.â€

Closure

If anyone knows any reason why these two should not be joined in marriage, speak now and risk being thrown in the pond, or forever hold your peace. And now, Chris and Kendra, by the authority vested in me by the state of California, but more importantly, by the authority vested in me by the fact that I believe in the power of your agreement this day and the seriousness with which you make this commitment, it is my honor to pronounce you husband and wife.

Chris, you may now kiss your bride.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you the happy couple, Chris and Kendra!

Thanks to everyone on this thread!  There were so many ideas, it was hard to trim them down.  I sent this to the minister at my resort and he said it would take 20-25 minutes.  I wanted to incorporate some cultural wedding traditions as well, so we are doing the coin/veil/cord ceremonies.

Opening Words

You may be seated.

Love? Be it man. Be it woman.
It must be a wave you want to glide in on,
give your body to it, give your laugh to it,
give, when the gravelly sand takes you,
your tears to the land. To love another is something
like prayer and can't be planned, you just fall
into its arms because your belief undoes your disbelief.

On behalf of GROOM and BRIDE, I welcome you and thank you all for gathering here in Mexico on this beautiful day to witness their marriage ceremony.  The fact that you have all traveled such a great distance to be here today is a testament to the amazing amount of love and support they have.  Many of you have given them much happiness, love, warmth, and guidance through the various stages of their lives.  They would like to sincerely thank you for being here to celebrate their big day.  A special and respectful acknowledgement must also be made to those friends and family members who were unable to attend, or have passed on, but whose spirit remains alive and strong in our hearts.

I have also been asked by GROOM and BRIDE to thank their parents for the wonderful lives they have given them, for the hard work and guidance they have provided, for their everlasting love, support, and encouragement. It is from them that they have learned the true meaning of love, friendship and family.

Marriage is an affirmation of life, an undying commitment, a spiritual, emotional, and intellectual bond between two people. It is created from the purest of friendship, respect and love. The institution of marriage is not entered into lightly, because it symbolizes commitment on every level. Together you will continue to meet the challenges and obstacles of life head on.  You have chosen to walk through life together.  There is no truer statement of love.  Before this moment you have been many things to each other – best friend, companion, lover, partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another over the years.  Soon you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you.  For after the vows, you shall say to the world, this – is my husband, this – is my wife.

Giving of the Bride/Groom

Would Mr. and Mrs.  XYZ and Mr. and Mrs.  ABC please stand.  It is traditional for the father of the bride to give her away.  However, both sets of parents share in the giving and receiving.  Therefore, Mr. and Mrs. XYZ, do you not only give you daughter, BRIDE, to be GROOMâ€s wife, but also joyfully receive GROOM as your son?

Response, “we doâ€

And Mr. and Mrs. ABC, do you not only joyfully give your son GROOM to BRIDE as her husband, but receive BRIDE to be your daughter?

Response, “we do.â€

Readings

Now, we will have our first reading.
Now, we will have our second reading.

Charge to the couple

The covenant of marriage is not to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly; only by persons who are both legally and spiritually free offer themselves to one another. So I ask you:

GROOM, do you come of your own free will and with a conscious desire to be united in marriage with BRIDE? Yes.

Do you promise to give to this woman the love of your person, the comfort of your support and companionship, and the patience of your understanding? I do.

BRIDE, do you come of your own free will and with a conscious desire to be united in marriage with GROOM? Yes.

GROOM, do you promise to give to this woman the love of your person, the comfort of your support and companionship, and the patience of your understanding? I do.

GROOM and BRIDE, do you promise to care for each other in the joys and sorrows of life, come what may, and to share the responsibility for growth and enrichment of your life together? We do.

Wedding Vows

GROOM, as I say these words, would you please repeat after me…

I love you, BRIDE. You are my best friend. Today I give myself to you in marriage. /
I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. /
I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, /
when our love is simple, and when it is an effort. /
I promise to cherish you, and to always hold you in highest regard. /
These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life. I am forever yours… …faithfully.

BRIDE as I say these words, would you please repeat after me…

I love you, GROOM; You too are my best friend. Today I give myself to you in marriage./
I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. /
I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, /
when our love is simple, and when it is an effort. /
I promise to cherish you, and to always hold you in highest regard. /
These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life. I am forever yours……faithfully.

Exchange of Rings
May I please have the rings?

The ring is a symbol of the unbroken circle of love. Love freely given has no beginning and no end, no giver and no receiver for each is the giver and each is the receiver. May these rings always remind you of the vows you have taken.

GROOM as you place this ring on BRIDEâ€s finger please repeat after me:

I give you this ring as a sign of my devotion and love /
 with my all my heart I promise to you all that I am. /
With this ring I marry you and join my life to yours.

BRIDE as you place this ring on GROOMâ€s finger please repeat after me:

I give you this ring as a sign of my devotion and love /
 with my all my heart I promise to you all that I am. /
With this ring I marry you and join my life to yours.

May the sacredness of this moment and the vows and rings you have exchanged ever remain as a priceless memory in the heart of each of you and may you have perfect love and peace together.

The engagement ring is a symbol of promise and intention. Now the intention is realized and the promise fulfilled. GROOM, please place the engagement ring on BRIDEâ€s finger over her wedding band to symbolize that the love that brought you together will always protect and sustain your marriage.

GROOM and BRIDE have consented together in these promises and have symbolized this by the giving and receiving of the rings.  Whom God has joined together, let no man or institution separate.

Blessing of Rings and arrhae

Exchanging of the arrhae
The Priest/Minister then drops 13 pieces of coins (silver or gold) called arras into the Groom's waiting hands, who in turn drops it into the Bride's hands. The Bride then puts her hand above the Groom's then drops the arras into his hands again. The Groom allows the coins to then be dropped into a plate.

Veil Ceremony
Veil sponsors will come up to the bride and groom

Cord Ceremony
The Cord Sponsors come up to the Bride and Groom

Signing of Marriage Certificate

HAND CEREMONY

As an expression that you are joined together in love - will you please hold up your hands and hold one another, so you may feel the gift that you are to each other.

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever.
These are the hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future.
These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other.
These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind.
These are the hands that will wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow and tears of joy.
These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it.
These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children.
These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one.
And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

Blessing by the Audience

Ladies and Gentlemen, BRIDE and GROOM have demonstrated in your presence today, their belief in their love, and their desire to live together in Holy Matrimony. If you also believe in their love, and wish to add your blessing on their marriage today, please respond now by saying “WE DO†….. “We doâ€

And are you all willing to sustain and strengthen this marriage, by giving BRIDE and GROOM the public commitment of your love and support, through all the ups and downs ahead of them…If you are willing, please say, “WE ARE†  “We areâ€

Closing

GROOM and BRIDE, if there is anything you remember of this marriage ceremony, may it be the love that brought you here today, it is only love which can make it a glorious union, and by love which your marriage shall endure. Today your separate lives with your individual memories, desires, and hopes merge into one. You are now taking into your care and keeping the happiness of the one person in the entire world whom you love above all others. You are adding to your life not only the affection of each other, but also the companionship and blessing of a deep trust as well. You are agreeing to share strength, responsibilities and to share love. May you be a blessing and comfort to each other, sharers of each otherâ€s dreams, consolers of each others sorrows, helpers to each other in all of life's challenges. May you encourage each other in whatever you set out to achieve. May you trust each other, trust life and be unafraid. May your marriage bring you all the exquisite excitements a marriage should bring, and may life grant you patience, tolerance, and understanding.

Final Blessing
Let us bow our heads in prayer –

Lord, bless this marriage, as GROOM and BRIDE continue their journey down the road of life together.

May they respect each otherâ€s likes and dislikes, opinions and beliefs, hopes, dreams and fears.

And even though they may not always understand or agree with one another, may they rest in the knowledge that no matter what happens, by holding on to each other, things will always work out for the best.

Most of all, Dear God, help them to keep the torch of love burning with the fire that they now share in their hearts.

Amen

Pronouncement of Husband & Wife
With friends and family, along with God, the sun, the sand, and the sea, I have the pleasure of announcing you as husband and wife.

You may now kiss your bride!

First Kiss as Husband & Wife

Introduction of the new couple

It is my pleasure to introduce to you for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. ABC

Recessional

Glad that I found this thread! So much inspiration here. Thank you to everyone who posted their ceremony scripts, beautiful words. Have always loved the hands ceremony. I think I might have been inspired to include additional vows as many of you have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These have been so helpful in trying to write our ceremony script.  We are doing a legal ceremony and just curious about when we do the signing of the marriage certificate?