Share your ceremony script!

Love it...LOVE what you did with the hand ceremony!!!  I'm trying to figure out how, in the hand ceremony, we can include a reference to our passion to travel...something to the effect of "these are the hands that will hold/guide/keep you safe on your journeys thru life/around the world"...but it's early in the morning and I'm not so creative.  Anyone have any ideas?

Originally Posted by britb618 View Post

HI All! Below is my ceremony for my December 9th wedding! Our wedding song is "My first, my last my everything" by Barry White so that is why its in the vows... :)

Marriage Ceremony

Welcome

On behalf of Brittanee and John, I welcome you and thank you all for gathering here on this beautiful day to witness their marriage ceremony. The fact that you all have travelled such a great distance to be here today is a testament to the amazing amount of love and support they have. All of you have given them much happiness, love, warmth, and guidance through the various stages of their lives. They would like to sincerely thank you all for being here to celebrate their big day.

"We open this ceremony with a symbolic gift of beauty and gratitude to the women who gave the bride and groom life---their mothers."

then give the roses to the bride and groom who then present them to their mothers with a hug and kiss.

A special and respectful acknowledgement must also be made to those friends and family members who were unable to attend, or who have passed on, but whose spirit remains alive and strong in all of our hearts. (Moment of Silence).

Opening Prayer: Father Victorâ€s words

Reading

Officiant: Now, John and Brittanee request that Gerry and Anthony Oranges come up to say a few words. 

Big Ant:
"You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way.

Gerry:

All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks - all those sentences that began with “When weâ€re married†and continued with “I will and you will and we willâ€- those late night talks that included “someday†and “somehow†and “maybeâ€- and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart.

Big Ant

All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding. The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things weâ€ve promised and hoped and dreamed- well, I meant it all, every word.†Look at one another and remember this moment in time.

Gerry:
Before this moment you have been many things to one another- best friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these last few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this- is my husband, this- is my wife."

FATHER VICTORS Comments

VOWS

Brittanee:

I love you. You are my best friend. Today, I choose you as my husband. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle.
I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort. I promise to cherish you and be your faithful wife, for all the days of my life. I am forever yours. Youâ€re the first, the last, my every thing.

John:
I love you. You too are my best friend. Today I choose you as my wife. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort. I promise to cherish you and to be your faithful husband for all the days of my life. I am forever yours. Youâ€re the first, the last, my every thing.

HAND CEREMONY

The vows which have been exchanged are but words that are fleeting and the sound of them is soon gone. The wedding rings are an enduring symbol of the promises which have been made.

John and Brittanee, please
join hands.

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever.

These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as together you build your future.

These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other.

These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind.

These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow, and as in today, tears of joy.

These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it.

And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

Our prayer for you today is that both of you will use these hands to build a marriage where all your dreams come true.

Now please turn to one another and repeat after me.

John, with this ring, I thee wed.

Brittanee, with this ring, I thee wed.

The engagement ring is a symbol of promise and intention. Now the intention is realized and the promise fulfilled. John, place the engagement ring on Brittaneeâ€s finger over her wedding band to symbolize that the love that brought you together will always protect and sustain your marriage.

Commitment of family and friends

Ladies and Gentlemen, Brittanee & John have demonstrated in your presence today, their belief in their love, and their desire to live together in matrimony. If you also believe in their love, and wish to add your blessing on their marriage today, please respond now by saying……………WE DO

And are you all willing to sustain and strengthen this marriage, by giving Brittanee and John the public commitment of your love and support, through all the ups and downs ahead of them…If you are willing, please say……….WE ARE

John, you may now kiss your Bride.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I now present to you Mr. and Mrs. John and Brittanee Donley!

• 1 month later...

Thank you soooooo much for starting this thread!

I am Asian-American and have only been at a handful of American weddings and this is helping me out tremendously!

Originally Posted by aeroo View Post

I wanted to start a thread with everyone's ceremony scripts. I don't think such a thread exists yet does it? This would have helped me when I was putting together ours. I got ours from a few different sources and just copied and pasted the parts that I loved and edited it together so that it flowed.

So here is ours. I really loved it and it definately reflected who we are as a couple. It's non religious and lasted about 20 minutes. We had a friend officiate the ceremony and it was amazing.

Opening

This beautiful setting should remind us that, like the ocean, human life is an ebb and flow- The life of the spirit and emotions- moves in cycles. To be in a relationship does not guarantee an eternal summer. To make a sincere and honest commitment does not promise, an end to all struggle. What a good relationship does offer, much like this ocean, is the opportunity for renewal. It recognizes the abiding, shared hope that after every fall and winter, spring and summer will come again.

On behalf of XXX and XXX, I welcome you and thank you all for gathering here on this beautiful day to witness their marriage ceremony. The fact that you all have travelled such a great distance to be here today is a testament to the amazing amount of love and support they have. Many of you have given them much happiness, love, warmth, and guidance through the various stages of their lives. They would like to sincerely thank you all for being here to celebrate their big day. A special and respectful acknowledgement must also be made to those friends and family members who were unable to attend, or have passed on, but whose spirit remains alive and strong in all our hearts.

I have also been asked by XXX and XXX to thank their parents for the wonderful lives they have given them, for the hard work and guidance they have provided, for their everlasting love, support, and encouragement. It is from them that they have learned the true meaning of love, friendship and family.

Ceremony

For XXX and XXX marriage is an affirmation of life, an undying commitment, a spiritual, emotional, and intellectual bond between two people. It is created from the purest of friendship, respect and love. The institution of marriage is not entered into lightly, because it symbolizes commitment on every level. Together you will continue to meet the challenges and obstacles of life head on.

Marriage is an adventure in the most intimate of human relationships. It is the mutual commitment of two people sincerely in love who share the same dreams about life. But more than that, it is the intimate sharing of two lives. It is a sharing that does not diminish but enhances the individuality of each partner.

The marriage between XXX and XXX does not mark the beginning of a new relationship; rather, it is an acknowledgement and celebration, of a relationship that has been flourishing since they met.

For XXX and XXX, love is the longing two people feel for one another. It is the need to share, in body and spirit, the warmth, serenity and peace two people can give to one another. A simple touch, a hand held at a time of uncertainty. This is what it means to be intimately human. It is the intention behind the kiss that says, “ Despite the vastness of this earth, despite the chaotic details that make up our lives, despite the hundreds of people we will meet in our travels, you are mine and I am yours forever.â€

Love is lifeâ€s highest emotion. It makes us less selfish, it makes our personalities grow, and it makes our lives more meaningful. It is caring about the welfare and happiness of your partner as your own. Love makes burdens lighter because you divide them. It makes joys more intense because you share them. And it makes you stronger so you can reach out and become involved with life in ways you dared not risk alone.

A successful relationship takes more than just love. It takes trust, to know in your hearts that you want only the best for each other. It takes dedication, to stay open to one another, to learn and grow, even when it is difficult to do so. And it takes faith, to go forward together without knowing what the future holds for you both.

You have chosen to walk through life together. There is no truer statement of love. The choice was not made by any one moment, but by being together you grew to realize that you belonged together and that you fulfilled each otherâ€s needs. You have come to thrive upon each otherâ€s presence, loyalty and wisdom. The foundation of your love is profound friendship. A friendship you have nurtured until at last you realized that you wanted to be together always. The commitment you make today will be the foundation on which you will build your life together.

HAND CEREMONY

As an expression that you are joined together in love - will you please hold up your hands and hold one another, so you may feel the gift that you are to each other.

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever.
These are the hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future.
These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other.
These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind.
These are the hands that will wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow and tears of joy.
These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it.
These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children.
These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one.
And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

VOWS

Your wedding rings represent the unconditional love that you have for one another and are a symbol of the vows that you will make today. ____, take this ring, put it on ___'s finger and repeat after me:

I, __________, take you, ____________, to be my wife/husband,
my partner in life and my one true love.

I will cherish our friendship
and love you today, tomorrow, and forever.

I will trust you and respect you,
I will laugh with you and cry with you.

I will love you faithfully and unconditionally
through the best and the worst, the difficult and the easy.

Whatever may come, I promise I will always be there for you.

Closing:

XXX & XXX, remember to treat both yourself and each other with respect, and remind yourselves often of what brought you together. Give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves. When frustration, difficulty or fear assail your relationship – as they threatened all relationships at one time or another – remember to focus on what is right between you. In this way, you can ride out the times when clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives – remembering that even if you lose sight of it for a moment, the sun is still there. And if each of you takes responsibility for the quality of your lives together, your life together will be marked by abundance and delight.

Give to one another new experiences of joy. Challenge one another so that you may grow. May the love you hold for each other, now sealed in marriage, continue to mature with the passing years. May you never take each other for granted, but always experience the wonder of your union. Be slow to anger, quick to forgive, leaving no tracks of resentment behind each day.

We who are present today, hope that the inspiration of this moment will never be forgotten. May all your days and years to come be filled with vision, joy and passion. May the love you now share continue to grow, and may the happiness you bring to each other be a continuing part of your life together. May you continue to laugh often and enjoy each other every day, steadfast in hope and confidence, believing in yourself and believing in each other. May your love be a sanctuary and a source from which you draw strength to live your lives with enthusiasm and imagination. May the people you touch in your lifetime know how much you love and care for one another and may you love one another forever.

With friends and family, along with the sun, the moon, and the sea, I have the pleasure of announcing you as husband and wife.

You may now kiss the groom!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is our ceremony script from our wedding on 11/5/11! 

It is secular and contains two readings and a sand ceremony!

I. PROCESSIONAL

“Yellow†by Vitamin String Quartet.

Seating of grandparents, parents, then David.

“Viva la Vida†by Coldplay.

Wedding party intro, Chris intro.

“One and Only†by Adele

Shawna enters with parents.

II.WELCOME    (David)

Good evening everyone, and welcome to this wonderful ceremony of marriage!

We have gathered here today to celebrate the wedding of Chris and Shawna.  They are delighted that you, their most intimate family and friends, are here to share in the love that has already become a reality within and between them.  By your presence, you show your support of their decision to commit themselves to a lifelong relationship.

Marriage is the bonding of two individuals, to be entered into only after considerable thought and reflection.  Over the years, Chris and Shawna have developed a love and friendship that they believe cannot be broken.  They support each other in the worst of times and rejoice together in the best, constantly encouraging the other to make the most of all life has to offer.  Chris and Shawna acknowledge that their union affects all of you, and they believe they have more to give you as partners than as individuals. They are marrying each other with the firm belief that it will be for life and are overflowing with happiness.  Let us be happy with them.

III. BLESSING FROM PARENTS

David :  Would the parents please stand?

All parents stand. Chris and Shawna face parents.

David :  Chris and Shawna would like to thank you for all the love and support you have each given them throughout their lives.  You have given them the foundation to be successful, the morals to be righteous, and the confidence to forge their own path in life.  Chris and Shawna ask of you:

Will you continue to help them grow as individuals and as a couple?     We will.               

Do you offer your full love and support to their marriage?                          We do.

Thank you parents, you may now be seated.                         

IV. FRIENDSHIP (David)

It is often said that it is love that makes the world go round. However, without a doubt, it is friendship which keeps our spinning existence on an even keel.

True friendship provides so many of the essentials for a happy life - it is the foundation on which to build an enduring relationship, it is the mortar which bonds us together in harmony, and it is the calm, warm protection we sometimes need when the world outside seems cold and chaotic.

True friendship holds a mirror to our faults and failings, without destroying our sense of worthiness. True friendship nurtures our hopes, supports us in our disappointments, and encourages us to grow to our best potential.

Chris and Shawna came together as friends. Today, they pledge to each other not only their love, but also the strength, the warmth and, most importantly, the fun of true friendship.

V. FIRST READING (Jessica & Nicole)

David:  At this time, I would like to invite Jessica and Nicole, two ladies whom are very dear to Shawna and Chris to recite a poem that I think weâ€ll all agree could have been written just for them.

“He Never Leaves the Seat Up†by Pam Ayres

Jessica:                                                                                     Nicole:

He never leaves the seat up                                           He says he loves her figure
Or wet towels upon the floor                                         And her mental prowess too
The toothpaste has the lid on                                         But when gravity takes her over

And he always shuts the door!                        Will she charm with her IQ?

Sheâ€s very clean and tidy                                                  She says she loves his kindness

Though she may sometimes delude                            And his patience is a must

Leave your things out at your peril                               And of course she thinks heâ€s handsome

In a second theyâ€ll have moved!                                   Which in her eyes is a plus!

Heâ€s a very active person                                                 Theyâ€re both not wholly perfect

As are all his next of kin                                                     But who are we to judge?

Where as she likes lazy days                                           He can be pig headed

Heâ€ll still drag her to the gym!                                         Where as she wonâ€t even budge!

He romances her and dines her                                     All that said and done

Home cooked dinners and the like                              They love the time they spend together

He even knows her favorite food                                 And I hope as Iâ€m sure you do

And spoils her day and night!                                         That this fine day will last forever.

Sheâ€s thoughtful when he looks at her                       Heâ€ll be more than just her husband

A smile upon his face                                                         Heâ€ll also be her friend

Will he look that good in 50 years                                  And sheâ€ll be more than just his wife

When his dentures arenâ€t in place?                             Sheâ€ll be his soul mate ‘til the end.

VI.  WEDDING LOCKBOX  

David:  You might be able to sense a theme Chris and Shawna have to this celebration – friendship.  One of the most important things in life is to have friends to celebrate good times, vent frustrations to, provide honest opinions, and give and receive encouragement.  Chris and Shawna have created an anniversary box as a future present to remind them of the most important thing they have in one another – true friendship. 

This box will contain a letter that they have written to each other with anything from inspiring words, personal feelings, memories, and so on.  This box may only be opened on their anniversary, at which point they may read the letters it contains.  Each November 5th, they will reflect on their previous year and add a new letter into the box.  In this way, they hope to never forget a step they take in the journey that will be their marriage.

Chris and Shawna, please place your first letters into the lockbox.

We take letters our of our pockets and place them into the anniversary box.

VII. OFFICIANTâ€S THOUGHTS

VIII. SECOND READING (Amy & Julie)

David:  I would now like to invite two of Chris†sisters, Amy and Julie, to deliver a reading. One that is fit to precede their upcoming vows.

“Union†by Robert Fulghum

Julie:   You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making commitments in an informal way. All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, “When weâ€re marriedâ€, and continued with “I will†and “you will†and “we will†– all those late night talks that included “someday†and “somehow†and “maybe†– and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.

The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things that weâ€ve promised, and hoped, and dreamed – well, I meant it all, every word.â€

Amy:   Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another – acquaintance, friend, companion, dancing partner, even teacher, for you have learned much from one another these past few years. Now you shall say a few words that will take you across a threshold of life, and things between you will never quite be the same.
For after today, you shall say to the world –
This is my husband, and This is my wife.

IX.  EXCHANGE OF VOWS / RINGS

David:  The time for the exchanging of rings has arrived.  These rings will serve as a daily reminder of the love Chris and Shawna share for one another.  As they present one another with these symbols of their love and devotion, they have chosen to each share their own, personal vows.  Until this moment, they have entrusted the care of these wedding rings to their most honored attendants.  Jimmy, would you please hand Chris the ring.

Chris hugs Jimmy and then takes ring. 

Shawna, I love you for everything you are. I think I first fell in love with your spunkiness. It was those times when you would make a weird face or a garbled, nonsensical sound that I knew you could bring out a fun side in me. I knew you were someone special the night in Rodes when I shared something with you that only one other person has ever heard.  As I cried in your arms, I felt safe.  I knew you were someone I could share everything with.  More than that though, you challenge me to think for myself so that Iâ€ll grow each and every day.  You have taught me to question everything in life – not from a pessimistic standpoint, but from a rational one.  You have helped me to grow into a person I love; someone who loves life and lives solely for it.  I feel that you make me someone who enjoys getting the most that each day has to offer.  You give me a wonderful hope for a future full of adventure and fun.  Thatâ€s why I love us.  I will push you just as you push me.  You are my best friend and greatest competition, and I love you for it.  Itâ€s not that we complete each other; for we are each complete and unique individuals.  It is how well we complement each other.  I enjoy that we got to spend the adventure of Europe together.  It showed us many things about each other; especially that in terms of navigation, you will always lead and I'll follow.  Shawna, you are the cheese to my sprinkles, the chocolate to my strawberries, and the peanut butter to my jelly.  Shawna, I promise I'll always be there for you whenever you need me.  I promise to push you to become a better person and challenge you to grown just as you challenge me.  I promise to go on adventures with you, whether it's a trip to New Zealand or simply across town. Shawna, I promise to try and make you laugh, to cheer you up when you are sad, to give you surprises, to give you everything that I am.  I love you deeply, and I promise that you will always have that love.  And with these promises, I thee wed.

David:  Jennifer, would you please hand Shawna the ring.

Shawna hugs Jennifer and then takes ring. 

Chris,  When we first met that night in Rodes, I was instantly entranced by you.  I didnâ€t know when or if it would happen, but I hoped that we would turn into something special. Iâ€ve been trying to think back to the specific moment when I realized I was in love with you, but I canâ€t do it.  I donâ€t think there was any one moment….I just gradually fell in love with you because of a million tiny things you never even knew you were doing.  Whenever anyone needs a helping hand, you are the first to volunteer.  Whenever a challenge or problem arises, you wonâ€t rest until itâ€s solved.  Whenever someone suggests a game of soccer, basketball, tennis, etc…you are out the door and ready to play.  Before I knew what was happening, I was completely in love with everything about you. From what interests you, to what you believe in, to how much jelly you prefer on your peanut butter sandwiches...which is way too much.  You are giving, intelligent, energetic, considerate…and you possess a self-confidence that cannot be shaken.  Over these past five years, we have grown so close that I sometimes forget where I end and you begin.  Approximately 95% of the time, we are completely on the same page.  The small amount of time when we disagree, I always try my very best to convince you to change your mind…but you stand your ground.  You are just as stubborn as I am, and I wouldnâ€t have it any other way.  You have been my best friend, mentor, confidant, and my greatest challenge. But most importantly, you are the love of my life. You make me happier than I could ever explain, and you make me feel more loved than I ever thought possible.  I promise to love and care for you, and I will try in every way to be worthy of your love.  I will always be honest with you- kind, patient, and forgiving. I promise to attempt to keep up with your cleanliness standards and to maintain a sense of humor.  I promise to encourage your compassion, nurture your dreams, and to help shoulder our challenges.  But most of all, I promise to forever be your most true and loyal friend.  And with these promises, I thee wed. 

X.  SAND CEREMONY

Chris and Shawna move to platform with vases and each pick up their respective vase.

David:  Shawna and Chris have chosen to commemorate their marriage through the celebration of the Sand Ceremony.  The white and black sands symbolize their separate lives, their separate families; they represent all that they are and could ever be as an individual.  The purple sand represents the love they share for one another; a love that will surround and protect their matrimony.  They will now begin the pouring of the sands into this new vessel. 

Chris and Shawna pour sand. Background music-“Without You†– David Guetta ft. Usher

Chris and Shawna move back in front of David when finished pouring sand, music then fades out.

David:  Chris and Shawna have now created a visual representation of their marriage.  They have not blended their individual sands together, but have poured them in layers, showing they will each maintain their individuality and all the traits that make them unique.  Nevertheless, encompassed with love, they have chosen to join together; to form a new union. Just as these white and black sands may never again be separated, so their marriage shall be.

XI.  CONCLUSION/PRONOUNCEMENT/KISS

David:  Chris and Shawna, you have made your vows to one another, witnessed by your closest friends and family.  You have sealed these vows with the giving and receiving of rings, and now by the power vested in me, I pronounce you husband and wife.  Chris- You may kiss your bride.

Smooches.

Family and friends, it is my deepest honor to introduce Mr. and Mrs. Chris and Shawna Hodgkins!

XII. PROCESSIONAL

**Music plays** -  â€œHold My Hand†– Hootie and the Blowfish.

Chris and Shawna hug wedding party, then exit, followed by wedding party.

David:  I invite you to now make yourselves comfortable; grab a drink if youâ€d like.  The happy couple and their wedding party will be joining us very shortly.

David exits.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I realize, in looking at the date of your posting, that your renewal happened a while ago.  However, I found this site, and found your post.  What a lovely, lovely ceremony you had.  I am assuming you've had a lot of other people compliment you, so let me do the same.

I especially love the Apache Wedding Blessing.  For our original wedding, ten years ago, the officiant who performed my ceremony ignored my request to read certain things I had given him, including the Apache Wedding Blessing that you printed.  I always thought it was so beautiful and meant so much to me.  I plan on having this read for our Renewal.

Thank you again!

Elizabeth

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread over the past few years.

I was able to find some great ceremony scripts from this site as well as the internet and piece together a very meaningful ceremony, and for me the most important part of the wedding day. 

I just wanted to contribute mine to the thread .....in case anyone is looking for a more Christian-based ceremony (non-legal)

OPENNING WORDS

Minister:  Dear friends and family, it is with great affection for Nathan and Kerri that we have gathered here today to witness and bless their union in marriage.  Nothing is sweeter than love, nothing more courageous, nothing higher, nothing wider, nothing more pleasant, nothing fuller or better in heaven or earth, because love is born of God and cannot rest but in God; it is above all created things.  Love is the reason we are here today.

Nathan and Kerri are filled with gratitude to each and every one of you here today for the love, friendship and support that you have given them throughout their lives, and they would like to thank you for making the effort to be here today.  You are all a very important part of who they are.  Each of you holds a special place in their hearts, and they would not have wanted to make this important commitment without your being here to share it with them.

VOWS OF SUPPORT

(Minister calls both sets of parents forward)

Minister:  To the parents of Nathan and Kerri, although they have embarked on this marriage through personal choice, their marriage will be enriched by the families from which they come.  With this in mind, I ask you John and Jill, to take this man Nathan into your hearts, that he might live from this day as your son.  If so answer “we doâ€.

Brideâ€s Parents: We Do

Minister:  And to you Jon and Lynnel, I ask the same, that you take this woman Kerri into your hearts, that she might live from this day as your daughter.  If so answer “we doâ€.

Groomâ€s Parents: We Do

Minister:  We now ask that the mother of the bride and the mother of the groom step forward and each pour a layer of sand representing the foundations of your lives and marriage.

(The mothers take the white sand and pour a small amount into the larger container.  Parents take their seats and bride and groom face Minister)

CHALLENGE TO THE BRIDE AND GROOM

Minister:  Nathan and Kerri, our God of love has established marriage as the symbol of Christâ€s perfect relationship to His Body, the Church.  We have come to bring you as one before Him. 

Nathan, God has ordained the man as the spiritual head, as the responsible provider and as the initiator of love in this human relationship

Kerri, it is Godâ€s purpose that you be a loving wife, that you respond to Nathanâ€s love in tenderness with a deep sense of understanding, through a great faith in Christ who brought you together.  .

Nathan and Kerri, Christian marriage is not living merely for each other; it is two uniting and joining hands to serve God.  Seek His kingdom first, and His righteousness, and He will add all other things to you.  Do not expect perfection from each other.  Perfection belongs solely to God.  You need not minimize each otherâ€s weaknesses, but always be swift to praise and magnify each otherâ€s points of comeliness and strength and see each other through kind and patient eyes.  God will lead you into such situations and will bless you and develop your character as you walk together.  He will give you enough tears to keep you tender, enough hurts to keep you compassionate, enough failure to keep your hands clenched tightly to His, and enough success to make sure you walk with Him.

Minister:  Nathan, have you in the quiet hours of your companionship considered what is your Christian duty as a husband?

Groom:  I have.

Minister: Kerri, have you in the quiet hours of your companionship considered what is your Christian duty as a wife?

Bride:  I have.

Minister:  Nathan and Kerri, you stand before us as children of God, redeemed through Jesus Christ.  Is it your purpose to establish a home that is truly Christ-centered, where the Word of god is read and obeyed; a home that is welded together by prayer in which the Holy Spirit is your constant guide?

Bride and Groom:  It is.

Minister:  Nathan and Kerri, as an expression that you are joined together in love would you please face each other and join your hands.

BLESSING OF THE HANDS

Minister:  Kerri, please hold Nathanâ€s hands palms up so you may see the gift that they are to you.  These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that they are holding yours on your wedding day, as he promises to passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.  These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as together you build your future, as you laugh and cry, as you share your inner most secrets and dreams.  These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow and tears of joy.  And these are the hands that when wrinkled and aged will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

Minister:  Nathan would you please hold Kerriâ€s hands palms up so you may see the gift that they are to you.  These are the hands of your best friend, smooth, young and carefree, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as she promises to passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.  These are the hands that will hold you tight as you struggle through difficult times.  These are the hands that will comfort you when you are sick or console you when you are grieving.  And these are the hands that will give you support as she encourages you to chase down your dreams. 

Minister: Together as a team, everything you wish for can be realized.  Our prayer today is that both of you will use these hands to build a marriage where all your dreams come true.

PRAYER

Minister:  Let us bow our heads in prayer.  Heavenly Father, please guide Nathan and Kerri and walk beside them together as husband and wife.  Give them enough grace and love to forgive each other during those turbulent times in their relationship.  Grant them also the gift of celebration so they can enjoy the many happy times they will share together.  Lord, grant their love for each other be as beautiful as it is in this hour, and may it grow deeper and stronger in the years ahead.  Amen.

VOWS

Minister:  Nathan and Kerri will now share the vows they have written to each other……

BLESSING OF RINGS

Minister: The wedding ring traditionally is a symbol of the unbroken circle of love as it has neither beginning nor end.  It should always remind those who wear it of the sacredness of marriage and of the love that feeds it.

Minister: Lord, please bless these rings that Nathan and Kerri are about to exchange. May these rings forever remind them of their covenant with one another, as well as the circle of love they have publicly created here today. May their compassion and kindness for one another always be like these rings, with no beginning and no end. May the precious metal remind them of their precious commitment, and if either begins to tarnish, may they joyfully undertake the sacred duty to make it shine brightly again. May their relationship always be like these rings, separate but close, simple but beautiful.  May these rings always belong to their hands, and their love always belong in each otherâ€s hearts. Amen

Minister: Nathan as you place this ring on Kerriâ€s finger please repeat after me:  “Kerri, with all that I am and all that I have, I give you this ring as a symbol of my everlasting love.â€

(Nathan repeats)

Minister:  Kerri, as you place this ring on Nathanâ€s finger please repeat after me: “Nathan, with all that I am and all that I have, I give you this ring as a symbol of my everlasting love.â€

(Kerri repeats)

SAND CEREMONY

Minister:  Nathan and Kerri, you have just sealed your relationship by the giving and receiving of rings.  But although you will be sharing one life, never forget that you are two separate people. Cherish and affirm your differences. Love each other. Keep your commitment primary. Together you will laugh and cry, be sick and well, be happy and angry, share and grow. Grow sometimes together, sometimes separately.  Nathan and Kerriâ€s mothers have already poured sand into the vase to represent the support of the individual families.  Now, Nathan and Kerri will pour separate containers of sand into the vase.  Nathan and Kerri, these containers of sand symbolize your individual spirits.  As you each hold your separate containers of sand, know that this represents your lives to this moment, individual and unique. 

(Nathan begins pouring a little sand, and then Kerri pours a little sand…then pause…)

Minister:  Now please pour your sand together. 

(Begin pouring remainder of sand together)

Minister:  Nathan and Kerri, just as these grains of sand can never be separated and poured again into the containers, so will your marriage be a molding of two individual personalities, bonded together forming one heart, one life, and one family.  Nathan and Kerri you have just given your hearts completely to one another. From this day forward, your lives are intertwined and nothing will ever separate you.

CLOSING WORDS

Minister:  Let us pray.  Bless this marriage, as Nathan and Kerri begin their journey down the road of life together.  May they respect each otherâ€s likes and dislikes, opinions and beliefs, hopes and dreams and fears, even though they may not always understand.  May they rest in the knowledge that no matter what happens, by relying on God, things will work out for the best.  Most of all, Lord, bless and protect them as they embark on lifeâ€s journey together.  Amen.

As we prepare to end the ceremony, let us hold in our hearts the joy and love we have shared with Nathan and Kerri here today.  Let us take a bit of this love to the rest of the world and let it rekindle the flames that are held within our own hearts.

Nathan and Kerri, you have declared before God and all of us here today that you will now live your lives together in marriage.  You have made special promises to each other, which have been symbolized by the joining of hands, taking of vows and giving and receiving of rings.  By the authority vested in me, in beautiful Puerto Morelos Mexico, I now pronounce you husband and wife.  You may seal your marriage with a kiss.

Minister: May I have the pleasure or presenting to you, for the first time as husband and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Brewster.