Small Vent...

Jenn

I feel your pain, I have 5 beings to pick up after and my dh is the worse. Everton is a great cook but when he is done I could cry, he uses every pot, all the cupboards are open and he puts nothing awaysad.gif If he cleans the kitchen he seriously doesn't know how to wipe a counter or clean a sink. Oh yeah did I mention he also puts his dishes in the sink with food still on itwtf.gif and I don't mean the crumbs.

I can't even begin to tell you my frustration when it comes to laundry, I never know what is clean and what is dirty because he takes the laundry out and throws it in baskets in the laundry room next to the dirty stuff.

I think most men are just great big kids, it drives me nuts!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh, ooooh - can I play on this thread toohuh.gif

Actually I have to say, Brendan is pretty good when it comes to keeping the house clean and neat. I'm an OCD freak about the house. EVERYTHING has it's place and it's ALWAYS in it's place. I swear, people must think we live in a museum. And Brendan is VERY good about never leaving anything around and he cleans up after himself. He does his own laundry. He loads his dishes (and mine) in the dishwasher. And he will even run it and empty it if it's been awhile or if I'm too busy. We also have a cleaning lady so we never have to worry about dusting or deep cleaning. We also agreed that if one of us cooks, the other cleans and he's good at both of those.

My vent is that certain things in the house will NEVER get done unless I ask him to do it. A long time ago we decided that since Brendan doesn't think about the things that need to get done, but I do, then I will just tell him when something needs to get done and he will do it. Sounds simple enough, right?

Well, I get home tonight and one of the light bulbs are burnt out. And I KNOW, if I don't ask him to change it, it's not going to get done. He just doesn't think that way. Last week was his Brother-in-laws birthday and I had to remind him FOUR times to get and send a gift. It's STILL not done. This frustrates me more than anything. We agreed that since he knows he's not good at knowing what needs to get done, he's ok with me just telling him what to do and he'll do it. But that's just it, if he doesn't do it right away (and GOD forbid he should write something down) then he forgets and it doesn't get done. And then I have to remind him 10 times. DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!

My FI helps out around the house alot, but we do things very different. Sometimes he gets on my last nerve with leaving the cupboards open. I mean seriously how hard is it to shut them. Also, he doesn't throw things away in the trash can, he rather use our garbage disposal. Ugh!!! I hate going to the sink when he is cooking and there is all this stuff waiting to be grounded in the garbage disposal.

SERENITY NOW!

I don't mind cleaning, so I'm not upset if DH doesn't clean, it's more of the fact that he sees me scrubbing the whole house, will wait until it's spotless, then in 45 minutes flat will destroy the whole house. That is when I freak out about him not cleaning up after himself!

This is exactly what happens. I will have the whole house perfect, he will wake up (he works the night shift, so I clean while he's asleep) go into the bathroom, leave pee ON THE SEAT OF THE TOILET, leave chunks of toothpaste in the sink, splash water all over the mirror, take a shower and somehow get 90% of the water on the floor and leave the towel and his clothes on the floor NEXT to the laundry basket. Then he will go into the bedroom, sit on the bed I just made (and it's not just normal sitting, I swear by the time he gets up it looks like a whole slew of kids were jumping on the bed), pull out clothes and leave all the closet doors and drawers open. He then goes into the kicthen, makes a snack, leaving crumbs all over the counter, dirty dishes in the sink and a half glass of juice on the freaking counter. He then plays with Aiden, leaving a trail of bibs and bottles behind and then goes and watches tv where he will build a collection of soda cans and half empty boxes of crackers on the coffee table. Then he goes to work and on his way out the door it takes all of my willpower not to throw something heavy against the back of his head because now I have to clean up AGAIN.

He's lucky I love him.

Too bloody funny!

The whole "stacking the dishwasher the right way?" As some others here said, I guess we should count our blessings and be thankful for the fact that our FI's do SOMETHING!

It's a guy-thing. Plain & simple! They just don't think like we do. I love Matthew... and will want to ring his neck at times (!) But better he is a sloppy, helpful, 'wanting to make sure I'm fed' knucklehead... than some other kind of arsehole that I don't want to even think about!

You gals are not alone! LOL!

p.s. Matt is THE worst time keeper I have EVER had the misfortune of meeting in the flesh (!) and falls asleep on the couch, every now and then - though not very often... wink.gif Something that drives me absolutely NUTS! He's learning... wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNDerek View Post
Does anyone else have a fi that leaves glasses and dishes everywhere in the house? We even have seperate walk-in closets and he somehow manages to leave his glasses in my closet not too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNDerek View Post
When fi did actually fill the dishwasher on maybe 2 occassions in the almost 2yrs we've been in the house, i was so annoyed by how he put things in the dishwasher. i have to load things a certain way, drives me crazy when he puts dishes where there should be glasses or glasses where there should be dishes. I hate that.
Argh... that is so what I live with!!! I'll come home after a 3am shift and find a collection of glasses, a bowl, and some dirty silverware on the coffee table - with chocolate or other unidentified food product smeared on the top of it. And I'm so with you on the dishwasher! If DH actually stacks it, the dishes are all in the wrong place and covered with caked on food - because somehow he thinks our 20 year old dishwasher can get dried on cheese off the plates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLovesBrian View Post
leave pee ON THE SEAT OF THE TOILET, leave chunks of toothpaste in the sink, splash water all over the mirror, take a shower and somehow get 90% of the water on the floor and leave the towel and his clothes on the floor NEXT to the laundry basket.

Jay is pretty clean and almost always washes dishes when he is on break from work (he works out of state for 6-8 weeks at a time) but he does ALL the above!

DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!

He grew up with sharing a bathroom with 2 sisters, so instead of lifting the toilet seat and then having to remember to put it back down for his sisters, he just leaves it down. He usually aims right, but sometimes he misses and since I am pregnant, I tinkle a lot at night and dont turn the light on. Ya, my rear gets his pee on it sometimes. UGH!!!! SO GROSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaprincess View Post
OMG! Do we live with the same person? I have one of those at home too! He says he's 'afraid' of the dishwasher so he'll put his dishes in (sometimes) but would never dare turn it on or empty it unless I asked him. He could care less about where he finds his clothes, in a dirty basket, off the floor or hung on a hanger..its all the same to him!smile35.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I love my DH. He does a million little things that make me smile, and I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world. But, why is it that when it comes to our house he only does things 90% of the way?

He'll put his dishes in the sink, but neither rinse them nor put them in the dishwasher.

He'll remember that cans and bottles get recycled, but apparently they get recycled from our kitchen counter! (Its about 5 more step to our recycling bucket in the mud-room)

He'll do laundry, dry it, and then take it out in a huge ball and leave it next to the dryer so that by the time I find it everything is wrinkled! Or, he'll manage to put the ball of laundry into a basket, bring it upstairs and leave it... and then he throws dirty stuff into the same basket!

Its like living with a child! If I don't do his wash, fold it, and put it in his drawers, he'd be perfectly content with pulling wrinkled shirts out of a ball of laundry that's co-mingling with the dirty stuff in a laundry basket!
My turn, My turn! I want to chime in that I'm in the same boat too!
Erik is wonderful to me (though I do complain that he doesn't take me out a lot, we had a conversation about this last weekend....I want a date)
but I have to say it is like I'm living with a child. I have been doing his laundry, which I don't mind but come on!!!!! how hard is it to fold your clothes and put them away rather than leave them in the basket for 3 weeks. I'm not joking.
Why am I the only one throwing away the trash and taking the trash out on trash day while he is on his computer working or playing his game.

I'm sorry but wiping up the sink with a piece of toilet paper and doing the same thing to the toilet is not called cleaning. I'm making him clean it really well this Sat, since we are having a bbq on Sunday (that Yari and Brian will be at smile159.gif)
oh the list can go on and on and on and on........I'm married to a child sometimes :)