Another murder in Mexico ?! At A RIU !! Should I be worried ?

Elisa

I can understand your worry and concern for your guests wanting to back out. The reality is that robberies and murders happen everywhere (unfortunately) and I feel that usually there is a side of teh story that we are not getting. Drugs, a barfight- several things could have started this. I di think that with older people like parents and other family members that may attend the wedding there is a major fear factor when travelling to another country- especially one like mexico. Movies and media depict latin countries like my families (Colombia)to be uber dangerous. Which it can be if you are dumb and starting trouble or trying to smuggle drugs. Maybe a conversation about their fears will help put them at ease. Regardless it sucks that you have to deal with this 4 months before your weddding. I'm sorry! News like this can be defiantely be scary. I hope that your guests realize that these crimes happen to people all over the world and are rarely random and senseless.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, I'm so glad my mother hasn't heard about this. She's already a leary traveler and I'd never hear the end of it!

Honestly, at this point, I think you'd be better off without FMIL there. I know it would feel weird for her not to be there, but if all she's going to be doing is worrying and scaring the piss out of everyone during the wedding weekend, that is not going to be fun for you. You'd probably spend more time worrying about what she's doing and saying to people than enjoying your own wedding! And does she know that the more she talks about this the more her risk increases as YOU will probably kill her if she doesn't shut the eff up! Sheesh!

I love the advice your sister gave you. I need to remember that as several of "my people" can't make it either and I've been pretty down about it. (military deployments and friends who got pregnant about 9 months before my wedding date)

While the whole murder thing is scary, and someone getting murdered in their hotel room at a nice hotel is a bit odd to me, I think Mexico is one of the safest places I've traveled. I've been mugged or robbed in about 7 different countries. I almost expect it now. But when in Cancun, I've seriously felt safer there than anywhere else.

Like your sister said - keep your eye on the prize! I'm sorry about your FMIL, and I'm sorry she's so uncomfortable about traveling that she'd potentially miss her son's wedding. But in a way, I feel sorry for her. I have no idea what that kind of fear is like! But don't let her spoil this for you! hug2.gif

Thanks everyone . You guys are awesome! RIU hotels actually had someone call me . A woman named Stephanie called , right to me here at work . I am not sure from where , but it was definately long distance because I saw the number when it showed up on my screen and the line was very echo-ey . I thought it was very sweet of her to contact me directly instead of simpy replying to my email. She said " we take these matters very seriously and if one of our Brides has concerns , its our job to see to it that all her needs are met "

Impressive non ?

She went on to say that the slaying at Riu Los Cabos was tragic and indeed unfortunate but that without going into too much detail ( she was not allowed ) she can assure me that it was NOT a random act of violence. The investigation is still ongoing ...another reason why she can't say much . But she assures me that the entire Riu chain takes security quite seriously and in light of recent events have increased security in various forms at ALL of their Mexico Properties , including the Riu Palace Mexico and Riu Palace Riviera Maya . She also said that they had " added security measures that you won't see " .....I assume thats cameras but I also got the impression that they have 'undercover' ..as in disguised security officers , like dressed as if they are a hotel guest to blend in with everyone , also there .

She mentioned that although Riu wants all of their guests to feel secure they don't want to operate by having a mass amount of secuirty guardspatrolling the grounds , it makes thehotels look more like prison camps then a relaxing luxury vacation .

That makes sense .

As for my FMIL , my FI was sooooo amazing with her . I think I might have fallen in love with him that much more ( if that was possible ) LOL !

He told her straight up to knock it off ( calling of other guests ) and basically said " Listen you are my mother, of course I want you to be at my wedding , but I am not going to beg you nor try and convince you to be there , if you want to come, great , if not , no problem, no hard feelings , and I will understand ...not sure how the pictures will look for the next 50 years or what other guests will say when the Grooms only parent ( his dad is dead ) is a no show but whatever . I am getting married with or without you . Its going to be spectacular and we are all going tohave an amazing time. I hope you can be part of it but if not , ....well the party will still go on , and the celebration will still take place "

YOU GUYS , I was so proud of him , so incredibly proud . I was all " ya babes , way to man up " ..LOL..

Thanks again to all of you for the kind words of support and love .

This forum rocks !!!

xoxoxoxoxox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa View Post

As for my FMIL , my FI was sooooo amazing with her . I think I might have fallen in love with him that much more ( if that was possible ) LOL !

He told her straight up to knock it off ( calling of other guests ) and basically said " Listen you are my mother, of course I want you to be at my wedding , but I am not going to beg you nor try and convince you to be there , if you want to come, great , if not , no problem, no hard feelings , and I will understand ...not sure how the pictures will look for the next 50 years or what other guests will say when the Grooms only parent ( his dad is dead ) is a no show but whatever . I am getting married with or without you . Its going to be spectacular and we are all going tohave an amazing time. I hope you can be part of it but if not , ....well the party will still go on , and the celebration will still take place "

Oh my gosh - that just made me tear up a bit! I'm proud of him, too! That had to be such a hard conversation to have! So, what did FMIL say?

I think it's great that RIU called you. That's fantastic. Have you forwarded their message onto FMIL? Keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
Thanks everyone . You guys are awesome! RIU hotels actually had someone call me . A woman named Stephanie called , right to me here at work . I am not sure from where , but it was definately long distance because I saw the number when it showed up on my screen and the line was very echo-ey . I thought it was very sweet of her to contact me directly instead of simpy replying to my email. She said " we take these matters very seriously and if one of our Brides has concerns , its our job to see to it that all her needs are met "

Impressive non ?

She went on to say that the slaying at Riu Los Cabos was tragic and indeed unfortunate but that without going into too much detail ( she was not allowed ) she can assure me that it was NOT a random act of violence. The investigation is still ongoing ...another reason why she can't say much . But she assures me that the entire Riu chain takes security quite seriously and in light of recent events have increased security in various forms at ALL of their Mexico Properties , including the Riu Palace Mexico and Riu Palace Riviera Maya . She also said that they had " added security measures that you won't see " .....I assume thats cameras but I also got the impression that they have 'undercover' ..as in disguised security officers , like dressed as if they are a hotel guest to blend in with everyone , also there .
She mentioned that although Riu wants all of their guests to feel secure they don't want to operate by having a mass amount of secuirty guardspatrolling the grounds , it makes thehotels look more like prison camps then a relaxing luxury vacation .
That makes sense .

YOU GUYS , I was so proud of him , so incredibly proud . I was all " ya babes , way to man up " ..LOL..

Thanks again to all of you for the kind words of support and love .
This forum rocks !!!
xoxoxoxoxox
Wow! You've got a keeper there! He couldn't have handled it better in my opinion!

LOL !!! I think he was just plain fed up with trying to appease her , calm her down , etc . etc . ....I mean expressing some concern , ok, ya , we get it but flat out refusing to go , to participate and be part of such a huge event in her sons life AND then to add insult to injury by calling up others and telling them NOT to go and spreading the fear like the Ebola Virus !!huh.gif Ya , not so cool .

So he just got fed up....plus I know he doesn't like to see me sad and he could see I was starting to come undone over all of the phone calls from people debating on whether to cancel or not .

So far I am pleased to report that most have decided to continue on and will be coming !! smile36.gif

My hubby and I were just at Dreams Los Cabos for our honeymoon, came home on the 4th!

We never felt unsafe and we went into town several times, day and night, to hang out. Everyone in Los Cabos was actually so much nicer then anywhere else we have ever been, in our opinion.

Anyway, we went on a dinner cruise one night and we met 2 couples who were honeymooning at Riu. After dinner the 6 of us shared a taxi and at Riu they almost did not let the taxi in the gate because Mike and I were in the car and not staying there... Security is really good with people getting into resort that are not guests....

My point is... there is probably so much more... maybe this guest got into a fight with another guest and that's how the whole thing started, ya know.

I am sure that it was not even a local who committed the crime...

I am not saying this is not scary, it is... You just have to be careful no matter where you are and look out for yourself. Ya know?

That's great. I think it's fantastic that the resort contacted you. They should put their guests' fears at ease and I'm so happy to see them follow through with that.

Your FI did an incredible job confronting his mom. Hopefully she will see the error of her ways and sulk peacefully (if she still chooses to sulk.) I bet you anything, she will get tehre and realize it was stupid to worry. My grandparents (who have barely left their home state) were so afraid of Mx. Just from media hype and yada yada. The soon realized their fears were silly and had a great time.

Its very unfortunate about what your FMIL is doing but very glad that your FI had a talk with her. The Riu is actually really good when it comes to security. Ive been to the Riu in Cancun and Riu Vallarta and I have never felt unsafe. When we went to the Riu Vallarta my FI invited our tour guide(Dune Buggy) to come over to our hotel for drinks..FI was drunk already...lol but security wouldnt even let him pass the front. I seriously thought that security didnt pay attention but they actually do!!! I would walk to and from our room by myself and I didnt fell unsafe so everything should be fine. Just like everyone has mentioned that you need to be smart when you are traveling. Things happen everywhere and anything unfortunately.

Jessica