Another murder in Mexico ?! At A RIU !! Should I be worried ?

Elisa

in addition to putting it in god's hands, you should make your FI deal with his inappropriate mother!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maura , your last post made me smile ...first real one of the day !

Especially since I love Chicago ...best sour Apple Martini's are still at the Fairmont Hotel , as far as I am concerned ...lol..

All of that being said . I told my future mother in law that her chances of being killed , murdered or whatever , are more likely in Toronto than in Mexico , and WE have a pretty low rate considering the size of the city .

Anyway , she is just being unreasonable . She was quick to point out that in the last few years there has been 'several ' Canadian slayings , her words , not mine . And if my memory serves me correct there has been 5 in total , hardly a HUGE amount in comparison to the amount of tourists , Canadian tourists that travel down .

I am trying hard not to let her get to me , lord knows I have enough on my plate to worry about , but this is just yet another thing for me to have to deal with . My FI told me that he would speak to her this morning and tell her to lay off with the calling of the other guests .

It breaks my heart to know that so many of 'his side' is thinking of cancelling . I would hate for us to get down there and have it be all of my family ...especially since most are flying in from Germany !!

Pictures will not look right without his peeps ya know . But I hear what all of you are saying ....and hey , what more can I do or say then what I already am .

I have emailed Riu directly this morning asking what their security is like on the actual resorts in light of the recent events . I am hoping that with a little more , " detailed " information I will be able to use it and stregthen my argument to my FI's Mom .

Since I know that there are other Riu brides here, I will let you all know what they email me back ....just in case you encounter any 'fraidy cats ' in your group as the date draws nearer.

Having just got back from the Riu Vallarta (Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico) I thought I would chime in. I did not at any time during my visit feel unsafe. I like to think that I'm fairly cautious and try to not put myself in dangerous situations but I walked around the resort by myself on numerous occasions (ie back to the room to get something, to the front desk, out to the beach). I even walked a fair distance down the beach by myself (in daylight).

We did have a a couple of little things happen (such as guys trying to grind on my younger daughter in the disco and her boyfriend was trying to protect her and it could have got ugly but we all left together, and some guy put his arm around me at the buffet) but they were all from other guests. I also heard from some of the young guys in our group that there were some other guys trying to entice them into some kind of rivalry thing but they were other Canadians from another city from us. I also heard that the Riu Vallarta called the police one night on some of the rowdy guests that were causing trouble and being loud in the courtyard one night (they had an airhorn!).

We saw tourist police all over the place and were told that as tourism is the main source of income for the area that safety is taken very seriously.

I hestitate to mention the couple of things that happened to us as I don't want them taken out of context. Overall we had a fantastic time and these things did not riun our vacation but rather alerted us to the fact that you do have to be careful where ever you are.

I was also in the Mayan Riviera January 2007 and my experience was very similar there (we actually stayed at the same resort as the couple who were murdered whilst there for their daughter's wedding).

I do understand people's hesitation but these things can happen anywhere!

I understand your concern, but frankly we don't know they cause of the situation. I heard a rumor that the man shot was shot by another tourist... who knows. However, Cabo is very safe. Mexico City on the other hand, has become very dangerous. But as you have seen several comments... what are you going to do? If you were going to Brazil, I would say be extremely careful. We were there 3 years ago and I can honestly tell you that I felt we were going to be mugged several times. However, we were careful and had a great time. Unfortunately crime will always be around us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra E. View Post
However, Cabo is very safe. Mexico City on the other hand, has become very dangerous. But as you have seen several comments... what are you going to do? If you were going to Brazil, I would say be extremely careful.
i agree, and coming from a mx city "expert" i would say even there in mx city, ive only ever been slightly nervous in some outdoor places with crowds (like the zocalo, because the gypsy kids with the stickers freak me out, and the open air markets make me a little nervous because there are so many people and some of the aisle are small and there are lots of instances where people can brush up against you; however, ive not been nervous about my safety really, more the chance that i'd get pickpocketed, but im always extremely careful and never go anywhere alone).

Cabo is WAY WAY safer because its so populated by tourism. there really truly is no reason to worry.

God some inlaws boil my piss!!! and trust me I'm including mine in that lol

Ignore the witch, she's just looking for an excuse not to go. FI will handle her and if he doesn't well its their loss.

You only need 2 people to get married the rest are nice but not a requirement lol

I was in Toronto a couple of years ago and our tour bloke told us to be careful of pickpockets so tell her to can it lmao

Personally, I would tell her that if she does not want to go and witness her son getting married, fine, you will send her pictures :-) she will feel stupid for having let fear miss her son's wedding while everyone else enjoyed it...like your sister said it is your wedding, you are marrying the man of your dreams and this is the most important.

She is probably hoping you will change your mind and have the wedding at home....don't do it, otherwise, she will rule your life.