Photo

Chicago Botanic Garden?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TammyB

TammyB
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:52 AM

Has anyone been too the Chicago Botanic Garden? DH and I are planning a trip to Chicago for our anniversary and I was wondering if it would be a worth it to stop there. Also if you recommend it, how many hours do you think it would take to go through it?

BTW, we leave for Chicago in June 4th, not sure if that will make a difference, maybe it would be too early for most flowers to be in bloom.

#2 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 5,752 posts
    • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:24 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyB
    Has anyone been too the Chicago Botanic Garden? DH and I are planning a trip to Chicago for our anniversary and I was wondering if it would be a worth it to stop there. Also if you recommend it, how many hours do you think it would take to go through it?

BTW, we leave for Chicago in June 4th, not sure if that will make a difference, maybe it would be too early for most flowers to be in bloom.
    hey tammy :)

the botanic garden is beautiful. i especially love the japanese & english gardens. as long as you are driving here, i say its fine to go - just because it's a bit of a drive, its about 30 mins north of the city with no traffic, but theres currently major construction on the main highway you'd need to take, so it could take up to an hour. if you do go, i would say dont spend more than 2-2.5 hours there max. theres a lot to see but its owerwhelming and its a LOT of walking around that will poop you out quickly if you do too much. i love the indoor greenhouses as well. i grew up just a few miles from there so ive been many times.

#3 TammyB

TammyB
    • 10,630 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:39 AM

Maura, is there a trolly or something that can get us there? We are taking a train into Chicago (well From Michigan city into chicago) and are staying in a hotel about 2 blocks away from Navy Pier. We are only going to be in Chicago for a few days so I'm not sure if they have limited transportation on a weekday.

#4 lucy106

lucy106
      • 2,880 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:53 AM

I love love love the Botanic Gardens! I do not believe there is transportation from the city to the Gardens (it is actually in the town of Glencoe). So if you will not have your own transportation may need to save it for another trip cuz that would be an expensive cab ride. But once you get there they have a tram tour to show you around the Garden in a more timely fashion.

#5 Monique

Monique
        • 415 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

Tammy, here is a link for the Metra...you could take the Metra in to the Glencoe station and catch a trolley from the station to the garden... Just make sure the times and dates are within your range!

Chicago Botanic Garden

#6 TammyB

TammyB
          • 10,630 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

Where would the Metra pick up at? I was looking at that earlier but I couldn't figure it out.

#7 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 5,752 posts
            • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

not sure which train you need to take to get to glencoe... let me find out and get back to you

#8 Monique

Monique
            • 415 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:31 AM

Tammy, the metra station is on Madison and Canal which is a few miles from Navy Pier...you can take the bus to the Metra and hop on the train from there... here is the link for the train station.

Metra / Union Pacific District North Line

let me find out which bus you can take...what hotel are you staying at?

#9 TammyB

TammyB
              • 10,630 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:32 AM

Thanks Maura.

#10 lucy106

lucy106
                • 2,880 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:32 AM

The metra station in Chicago is at Madison and Canal St (Ogilvie Transportation Center) to go to the Glencoe station you would get on the Chicago to Kenosha Line here is the link to the weekday schedule to go to Glencoe from Chicago... Metra / Union Pacific North Monday - Friday Outbound The metra station is about a mile from Michigan Ave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users