Photo

how much are you budgeting for the trip? (not the wedding)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 Sapphire723

Sapphire723
  • 888 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:46 PM

I think $2k should be fine as well.

#12 Jenn

Jenn
    • 1,557 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:12 PM

We totally splurged on our honeymoon and I think 2k still covered everything except hotel. We had already paid for the hotels, so I sort of put that cost out of my mind - lol. We didn't really hold back on anything we wanted... 3 massages each, SCUBA certification, a tour, etc. We did stay mainly at AI's, so that helped, but food and drinks were cheap when we weren't AI.

#13 SAM

SAM
      • 542 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

2k should be enough. Gas is usually more but then again how far can you drive on the island.

#14 aramintha

aramintha
        • 53 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

Well we had to cut back on some of our wedding stuff because we realized that this is about us and we needed to have money for the honeymoon. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us....

Wedding Package - $3,900
          Romance Package (condo, car rental, couples massage, round trip limo transfer to/from airport w/ open bar, etc.)- $2,800
          Spending Money - $1,500 cash/$500 credit card

#15 Alyssa

Alyssa
          • 11,793 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

Ok, so now i am scared about spending money for the 2 weeks we are going to be in HI.

i was watching a show on CNN and they were comparing the cost of everyday things here in the states to the cost of them in HI

here are some examples...

a jar of Jiffy PB
            avg in states $3.85
            avg in HI $6.99

a gallon of OJ
            avg in states $2.99
            avg in HI $6.50

#16 Jenn

Jenn
            • 1,557 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:05 AM

Ouch Alyssa! That's crazy! I wonder if they were comparing things that need to be shipped from the Continental US though... like Tropicana and Skippy. Fresh squeezed OJ might be cheaper (and more delicious!). Whenever we travel, common products from the states are much more expensive than local stuff (obviously).

#17 Alyssa

Alyssa
              • 11,793 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:16 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Jenn
                Ouch Alyssa! That's crazy! I wonder if they were comparing things that need to be shipped from the Continental US though... like Tropicana and Skippy. Fresh squeezed OJ might be cheaper (and more delicious!). Whenever we travel, common products from the states are much more expensive than local stuff (obviously).
                i was thinking the same thing but they gave a bunch of other examples that were local stuff, like fruit, etc.

a 16oz bottle of poland spring
                here $1
                there $3

i am thinking of going to trader joe's and stocking up on a lot of dried fruit, raw nuts and protein bars to bring - that is CRAZY!

#18 aramintha

aramintha
                • 53 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:16 AM

Yeah I am not looking forward to that either. Drink water!!!!!! :)

#19 Chiquita

Chiquita
                  • 2,674 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

Hmm.. yes I've heard that too. I think we are going to try and go to Costco as soon as we get there so we can buy stuff for the two weeks we are there. But if you can bring some of that stuff with you, I would Alyssa

#20 Davematthews16

Davematthews16
                    • Banned
                    • 1,051 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:47 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Alyssa
                      Ok, so now i am scared about spending money for the 2 weeks we are going to be in HI.

i was watching a show on CNN and they were comparing the cost of everyday things here in the states to the cost of them in HI

here are some examples...

a jar of Jiffy PB
                      avg in states $3.85
                      avg in HI $6.99

a gallon of OJ
                      avg in states $2.99
                      avg in HI $6.50

I lived on St. John for 4 months and the price thing is exactly the same as what you mentioned. They triple the prices on most of the stuff because it costs so much to ship! I know you can't pack parishables, but it might not hurt to bring your own PB, and snack items if you have room. It will definetely save you a few bucks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users