Photo

DR Vaccinations?!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 Copita

Copita
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:25 AM

I go to DR yearly and have never had shots/vaccinations.

#12 FYB87

FYB87
    • 976 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

Great info. in this thread!

#13 S2BLennon

S2BLennon
      • 668 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:33 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by cmmdee
        I go to DR yearly and have never had shots/vaccinations.
        Good to know - how about the water issue?

#14 Copita

Copita
        • 979 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:12 AM

^^ DON'T drink the water from the faucets, LOL. :)
          Just stick to bottled watera nd you will be fine. The resort will provide plent of it for you and always have it at the bar and in your hotel room and at the restaurants :)

#15 Robyn Louise Photography

Robyn Louise Photography
          • 2,171 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:56 AM

I got a Havrix vaccination before I went... and have to get the booster six months after the initial vaccine, so sometime this fall. Havrix covers one of the Hepatistis strains, not sure which one, but I had already been vaccinated in school for the other strain. Twinrix is recommended to cover both.

I came back from the DR with no issues what so ever though, so it probably isnt necessary as everyone else says!

#16 EricaG

EricaG
            • 1,915 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:19 AM

It isn't a bad idea to get Hep A &/or Hep B. The combined shot is Twinrix. This will cover you if you do any other travelling as well. I myself would prefer to get the vaccine to protect my liver than to regret not getting it, but everyone has their opinions on vaccines.
              As for the malaria medication, you start taking it a week before you go and finish taking it a week after returning home I believe. The medication is called, Chloroquine. It is pill form for adults and liquid for shildren. Both forms taste awful too. This medications is recommended if you are travelling to the Punta Cana area but not Puerto Plata.
              You could always put the info out there for your guests and let them decide if they are going to do anything with it.
              http://i141.photobuc....DSC_0038-1.jpghttp://i141.photobuc....DSC_0463-1.jpg
              My wedding review of the Grand Palladium Palace, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
              http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t35125

Our Professional Wedding and TTD Pictures by Photo Souvenirhttp:...

#17 S2BLennon

S2BLennon
              • 668 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:05 AM

Thanks so much for the specific names of the meds-this will make me sound a bit more educated for my guests and they can decide if they want to do it.

#18 Christi

Christi
                • 1,905 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

Bump:

Hi,

My hubby and I are sepnding our 1 year anniversary in Punta Cana and I was wondering about bug spary...do you think it's necessary?

#19 EDSROSA

EDSROSA
                  • 510 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

I went last May and I bought some and barely needed it. My friend went last November and she said she used 2 bottles. Do u have sensative skin?

#20 shellb

shellb
                    • 533 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:49 AM

I was there in late April and was bitten a few times (I attract them), but barely used bug spray. I think a small bottle should do just in case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users