See below for responses...
Originally Posted by KristaMM
Hello everyone! I am very new to this website but it has been sooo very helpful! Thanks everyone for posting, it is all great information. I am getting married at Dreams in less than a month and am feeling extremely overwhelmed. Anyone else getting married the weekend of 1/14/12?!? It would be great to meet someone at the resort from this website I do have several questions, for brides who have already been married there, and I apoligize if some the questions have already been answered in previous posts.
1. After reading through previous posts, I decided to add the sound system for the gazebo. Do they have someone who will control the music? Or is that something I need to set up?
They supply the equipment and a staff member to operate the equipment. I simply gave Claudia a CD with the songs on it. I did make sure to carefully write on the label of the CD with the disc track number, the title, artist, and portion of ceremony (guests seating, bridal party entrance, bride's entrance, recessional).
2. Any recommedations for the best location for coctail hour, so far we are having 45 - 50 people. From my emails with Cecilia, I did not realize that there were different options.
We had our reception on the beach - so I had the cocktail party on the Terrace. I was very happy with my choice.
3. Did anyone ship stuff to your resort? I will probably ship our welcome bags and maybe some clothing to avoid the extra airfare. (My fiance works at FedEx and gets a discount)
I recall reading (maybe in the planning guide online for the resort) that they discourage shipping items ahead. Two main issues with shipping ahead 1) brides on this forum have talked about boxes getting stuck in Mexican customs for a very long time and not arriving in time for the wedding, 2) the resort staff has to find a place to keep it and not misplace it.
4. We are flying delta, I still need to contact the airline, but did anyone have difficulties carrying on their dress?
I flew continental and there was no closet for my dress, so it got folded up in an overhead bin. Because the dress steaming is included in the package, I didn't stress about it.
5. How did you like the videography? I am extremely excited for the video and plan to play it at our AHR, but they said a 30 min video really isn't long enough. Any extra input?
Let me start by saying that I don't like video of myself, but I really did like my included 30 minute video. I would say that about 5ish minutes of the video is canned shots of the resort (not on your wedding day) and the rest is actually on your wedding day and your ceremony. The videographer got a few detail shots and started filming while my guests were waiting to get seated. The videographer stopped filming after getting some footage of photos taken after the ceremony (before the cocktail hour started). Because I had full photographer coverage of my cocktail hour and reception, I don't think the video would have added anything. However, if I didn't have photos from the reception, it would probably be nice to have some video of it. I did get an email from the videographers a couple of weeks or so before the wedding about their packages (in case you wanted to add on more time) and their packages are PRICEY. I still have this email if you would like to PM me with your email address I can forward it to you.
6. For our Welcome bags, I wanted to include a list of everyone in our group who was staying at the hotel with their room numbers. The conceriege said they couldn't supply that information due to privacy issues and referred me to ask Cecilia. I have asked twice now, and she just ignors the question
My guess is that they honestly have no idea who will be in what room this far in advance. Also, because the resort was not full in November, the front desk offered all of my guests that booked the Deluxe Room an upgrade for a low price (I don't remember what the deal was off the top of my head) and several took advantage of the upgrade option - so room numbers might change the day of check-in.
7. Did your bridesmaids carry on their dresses as well?
My sister packed her dress in her suitcase.
8. What was your favorite part of your wedding? Is there anything you would have done differently?
My favorite part of the wedding day was the dancing at the reception - I had an absolute blast. But honestly, my favorite part of the wedding as a whole was looking at my pictures and reliving the day. So do not cheap out on the photo (or video if you prefer) coverage....
Sorry for all of the questions, I don't seem to get much feedback from Cecilia (I know she's super busy) I just want to be prepared.