Jump to content

Photo

Dreams Cancun - Questions for those married here!


  • Please log in to reply
6684 replies to this topic

#2251 sunitam

sunitam
  • Newbie
  • 124 posts

    Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:59 AM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SIMBASIM
    I don't think that they know this forum exists because they would be a lot more consistant in their pricing.



    I think the point of the cocktails between the ceremony and reception is so when you and your bridal party are taking pictures you do not miss time at your reception. Moving the cocktail party before defeats this purpose. If you were just going to have cocktails before why not go to the bar and do it for free That is my 2 cents! LOL!

    I am actually skipping the cocktail party all together. I find it a big fat waste of money. There is a 45 min gap between my ceremony and reception so while I am taking pictures, my guests will go to the bar until the reception starts. I got a credit for the cocktail party which I applied to the reception.

    hey simbasim! I was wondering how much of a credit did you get for not having the cockail hour? depending on how many people we end up having come (we arent getting married til jan 2010 and have NO idea how many ppl will book by then!) i might not have the cockail hour either. I mean, 3 hot appetizers, 3 cold appetizers followed by a 4 course meal! thats a lot of food! plus all the drinking and the cake! i agree that it kinda is a waste of money and maybe even food! i think if we need to cover a lot more ppl for dinner, i wont miss the cockail hour. by my calculations, you should get a credit of $550 for this. how many extra ppl did they say you get for dinner??

    if i do keep the cockail hour im going to have an hour between the cockails and reception so everyone can digest! plus ill have more time for pics before the reception :)

    #2252 lanalovesyou

    lanalovesyou
    • Newbie
    • 52 posts

      Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

      I am getting married in less then two weeks at Dreams Cancun. To tell you guys the truth, I have only picked out the locations of the ceremony/coctail hour/ and the reception. Everything else I'm going to do down there. I think its a lot better to bargain for deals and discounts when you get there because Gaby and Claudia will forget what you want and what you bargained for if you do it over email a few months before. They deal with so many girls that I doubt they even know what they say to all of us. So for whoever is getting married later on this year or next year - hold off on lots of details. Dont worry. Its such a beautiful resort, we've all heard and seen so many beautiful photos come out of it from all sorts of photographers.......I am just going to take picutres of what I want everything to look like...from cakes to hair&makeup to table arrangements.... Hopefully it all works out. *cross my fingers*

      #2253 SIMBASIM

      SIMBASIM
      • Jr. Member
      • 466 posts

        Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by sunitam
        hey simbasim! I was wondering how much of a credit did you get for not having the cockail hour? depending on how many people we end up having come (we arent getting married til jan 2010 and have NO idea how many ppl will book by then!) i might not have the cockail hour either. I mean, 3 hot appetizers, 3 cold appetizers followed by a 4 course meal! thats a lot of food! plus all the drinking and the cake! i agree that it kinda is a waste of money and maybe even food! i think if we need to cover a lot more ppl for dinner, i wont miss the cockail hour. by my calculations, you should get a credit of $550 for this. how many extra ppl did they say you get for dinner??

        if i do keep the cockail hour im going to have an hour between the cockails and reception so everyone can digest! plus ill have more time for pics before the reception :)
        I think the cocktail hour is all about preference. I know most of my peeps would prefer to drink rather than eat twice. Not to mention my FI thought it was absolutely insane that we have to pay for a cocktail hour when we have an all inclusive package. So in order to make everyone happy this seemd like the best solution. Like I said though, it is all about preference.The best thing I found to do with Claudia is bargin and trade. Rather than asking for a "credit" I suggested to add 10 people to my reception and she ok'ed. This eliminated me from having to pay extra money for both the cocktail party and reception for my extra guests.

        #2254 SIMBASIM

        SIMBASIM
        • Jr. Member
        • 466 posts

          Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:58 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by lanalovesyou
          I am getting married in less then two weeks at Dreams Cancun. To tell you guys the truth, I have only picked out the locations of the ceremony/coctail hour/ and the reception. Everything else I'm going to do down there. I think its a lot better to bargain for deals and discounts when you get there because Gaby and Claudia will forget what you want and what you bargained for if you do it over email a few months before. They deal with so many girls that I doubt they even know what they say to all of us. So for whoever is getting married later on this year or next year - hold off on lots of details. Dont worry. Its such a beautiful resort, we've all heard and seen so many beautiful photos come out of it from all sorts of photographers.......I am just going to take picutres of what I want everything to look like...from cakes to hair&makeup to table arrangements.... Hopefully it all works out. *cross my fingers*
          After numerous emails and freaking out a year ago, I have decided to do exactly the same thing. This is great advice. After reading the posts from past brides, they have recommended this as well. Unless, it is absolute special request most things can be handled onsite.

          #2255 lanalovesyou

          lanalovesyou
          • Newbie
          • 52 posts

            Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

            Yeah I think it is embedded in us as brides to worry and know every little tiny detail of what is going to happen. But with a destination wedding NOTHING happens until you get there anyways. We will all have a few days to be with and talk to Gaby/Claudia and it will all fall into place. I love this forum because it has given me so many ideas and answered so many questions that I didnt even bother with Gaby! haha.. But yea, I think we will all have our own unique weddings and when we actually get there we will change our own minds from what we planned to have a year ago over email.

            #2256 stacey

            stacey

              VIP Member

            • VIP Member
            • 4,853 posts

              Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

              Lana, That is a great way to do it. i wish I hadnt stressed about all the little details for months. BUT just so you know, im not sure who you WC is, but Claudia had every single email that I had ever sent. SO keep that in mind.
              Stacey & Ely 10.14.2008

              #2257 Kat81

              Kat81
              • VIP Member
              • 7,615 posts

                Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

                I made all my arrangements when I got there.

                Jill- If you need any help with this thread let me know.

                #2258 leasauceda

                leasauceda
                • Newbie
                • 19 posts

                  Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:04 AM

                  Thank you so much for the advice ladies, I'm absolutely not going to worry about little details anymore...our "reception" is really just going to be dinner and cake and drinks on the beach, after that we're planning on going to a club to continue the party.
                  I will see what Gaby says about the outside photographer if we're willing to pay the day pass, otherwise I think it will be ok no matter who our photographer is. After having a meltdown about our original date being booked I'm not letting anything get to me anymore. I think this destination wedding has made things a lot simpler. I like that I can choose package A, B or C and it will be done.
                  Lana let us know how everything goes, can't wait to hear from another winter bride!

                  #2259 mc5363

                  mc5363
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 315 posts

                    Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:14 PM

                    I am getting married in November 2009 and Gaby said that it was ok for me to bring in an outside photographer. She also said that all I have to do is send her the photographer's name and he/she wouldn't have to pay for a day pass. If anyone is looking for a photographer, I have been compiling a list of packages and prices.

                    In terms of the cocktail hour, I traded mine for 15 more people at dinner. Many brides have said that the lobby bar is great and that their guests hung out there for an hour while the bridal party took pictures.

                    #2260 destination

                    destination
                    • Jr. Member
                    • 215 posts

                      Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by SIMBASIM
                      I don't think that they know this forum exists because they would be a lot more consistant in their pricing.



                      I think the point of the cocktails between the ceremony and reception is so when you and your bridal party are taking pictures you do not miss time at your reception. Moving the cocktail party before defeats this purpose. If you were just going to have cocktails before why not go to the bar and do it for free That is my 2 cents! LOL!

                      I am actually skipping the cocktail party all together. I find it a big fat waste of money. There is a 45 min gap between my ceremony and reception so while I am taking pictures, my guests will go to the bar until the reception starts. I got a credit for the cocktail party which I applied to the reception.
                      I am doing pics before the ceremony because it will be dark after, so we don't have to worry about missing anything. Frankly, I might go with your idea and skip it all together. Good thinking




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users