Dreams Cancun - Questions for those married here!

Rose-

The feedback from Claudia Rodriguez has been fantastic! I have e-mailed her on several occasions about things not even really related to photography (like florist and reception site recommendations) and she has always been VERY helpful. She also worked with us to customize a package to fit needs. I am not at home right now, but I will make sure to post the DJ info tomorrow. It should be somewhere in this thread (I think a couple of times), if you want to do a little searching. I can also give you the e-mail address of my contact with the company, Lola.

I've been stringing my OOT bag tags and helping a friend with her invites all night...I'm off to bed!

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi -

We decided to go with a live band vs. a DJ at Dreams. Claudia provided me with Kiko and Carlos Band. They have a website and cover all songs! It's definitely more expensive than a DJ but another option if you are interested.

Here are the details they provided as to cost when I contacted them.

Our rates are: $800 US per set of 45 by 15. Minimun 2 hours.

If you hire the band for at least 3 hours, we will include a super DJ for free to play before, or to alternate with the band and after the band is done for 2 o 3more hours.

Our web is: ..:: Kiko & Carlos Band ::..

I posted this in another thread, but thought it would be more useful over here: (the question I started out answering was regarding the deposit)

My TA told me the same thing, but it still made me nervous, so I talked to Claudia and she told me that if it made me more comfortable I could send 50% and just pay the rest when we get there, which is fine with me. I think it will make me feel better to pay something towards it.

She also sent me a contract today and I need to go through it and make changes. A couple of things I noticed:

Included in the package, I thought it said a champagne toast for 20, but in the contract it says, 1 bottle of champagne, which serves 4, so what am I supposed to do, either not have a toast or cough up the money for 4 more bottles which are $35 each plus a 15% service fee, okay, I just looked at the packages and it says, "wedding cake and 1 bottle of champagne for 20 guests" obviously 1 bottle isn't enough for 20 ppl, but I think they worded that wrong.

Also, I had emailed her a picture a long time ago of a bouquet I wanted, but she said she'd have to get a quote and it would be more money. So, I decided I'd just go with something included. well in the contract she had the pic of the bouquet I wanted, but doesn't have any additional price next to it, so do I just shut my mouth or take the chance that she's going to tack on more money, lol!

She has my reception from 6-10, I can't remember how many hours we thought we would get charged extra for, but there were no extra charges on there for that.

What I liked about the contract is that it does list out all your options and the prices, like for chair bows, or extra champagne, BM bouquets, etc...

I didn't realize before either that you could have cocktail hour and reception in different places (at least thats how it looks on the contract) so I think I might do cocktail hour in the garden and then the reception on the terrace.

She also included a charge for the sound system for the ceremony, but we are using our IPOD and docking station, I bought a microphone yesterday, just need to make sure its loud enough (the music is really loud, but want to make sure the mic is too) so watch for that so you don't pay for something you're not using.

All in all it looks like she's done a pretty good job keeping things in line with what we want. Now I just have to figure out what we don't need so I can sub in some things we do need!

Jilly, when I was in Cancun with Claudia she said there's no charge for me to have my reception from 7-11. I only wanted a reception from 7-10, but she suggested because of the large size of the party, we should have it from 7-11pm.

My cocktail hour (6-7pm) will be at the Terrace (both indoor and outdoor) and reception in the ballroom so you can definitely have your parties in different parts of the resort.

A contract is suppose to list all prices and description in great detail of what you're paying for. Not having the costs in the contract may be good or bad, either she won't charge you at the end or she can charge you whatever she wants. Personally, I'd prefer the detailed breakdown so I won't be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoSean View Post
Jilly, when I was in Cancun with Claudia she said there's no charge for me to have my reception from 7-11. I only wanted a reception from 7-10, but she suggested because of the large size of the party, we should have it from 7-11pm.

My cocktail hour (6-7pm) will be at the Terrace (both indoor and outdoor) and reception in the ballroom so you can definitely have your parties in different parts of the resort.

A contract is suppose to list all prices and description in great detail of what you're paying for. Not having the costs in the contract may be good or bad, either she won't charge you at the end or she can charge you whatever she wants. Personally, I'd prefer the detailed breakdown so I won't be surprised.
She had mentioned to a couple of girls before that if you wanted extra hours for the reception that you had to pay an extra fee, I think it was for the staff or something. I think what I'll do is when I send the contract back, I'll remind her that the pic of flowers I sent her, that I want it to be in shades of deep pink and fuschia, not red like the picture, and I'll see what she says. If she says I have to pay extra for it then I'll just tell her I'll go with the bouquet included, because its not really that important to me to pay more for flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan101207 View Post
Jilly-
Did Claudia e-mail you the contract? Then are you going to make any changes and/or additions and e-mail it back to her? Any idea when she wants it back by?
Thanks!
Yes Susan, she emailed it to me and because I said I wanted to send a deposit she noted that I needed to pay 50% by september 20th. I also emailed her back to tell her I'd get back to her in the next few days with changes and she emailed right back that that would be fine. She was very quick.

She must have been going through old emails the other night because remember when I was having trouble with emails going through, well yesterday she repsonded to all 3 of my email addresses with the contract, and responded to some old emails, lol, better late than never right!

Does anyone know if you can get any flavored fillings in the cake?

How large is your party Rosean?

We are thinking 40-50 people and they alloted 3 hours for my reception.

Any thing over that is extra per hour for the staff.

I had a contract she sent to me early on in the process and I have been asking her questions ever since. I don't know if she was updating the contract along the way.

So I sent both her and Daniella an email early this week with items to specifically to update, to send me a new contract so I can send a deposit. After the discussions we were all having I think I will feel better about sending a dep soon.

Hey Paula,

We're expecting between 70-100, same size as Susan's wedding. I put the 50% deposit while I was in Cancun. I don't have a contract yet, but Claudia should be sending me one soon. I'll double check the contract to make sure she doesn't try to charge me for the extra hour of reception.

Although, if their staff cannot serve your party in the allotted 3 hours (due to the size) and would have to go overtime, then maybe they'll just eat the costs. Whereas if you requested for an extra hour to party, then they'll probably charge for the extra time.

I guess it's best to play it by ear and see which party extends the time...