Dreams Cancun - Questions for those married here!

Soooo. I am totally on the fence. half of our guests are freaked out enough not to go, and the other half is willing to brave it as long as travel is still allowed.

my only concern is if we leave it to the last minute, people will not get refunds which I could never forgive myself for.

I think that barring a ban on travel to mexico -I'll be there. It may be just a few of us....but thats better than no wedding at all?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabutler816 View Post
I sent this email to all of the guests we invited to our wedding. I know you may want to change the dates or info but just in case anyone is looing for HOW to keep their guests updated to know that we are not ignoring it, monitoring it but it is still planned as usual..

I know it may not help those with wedding coming up very soon and my heart goes out to you. I hope it helps some of you...
------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Afternoon, This message is to advise our family and friends, booked wedding guests and tentative wedding guests that we are ACTIVELY working with our travel coordinator, the centers for disease control and the national government travel advisory in regards to the known Swine Flu which is going around in Mexico and the US. The Swine flu is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by a type A influenza virus that regularly causes outbreaks of influenza among pigs. Swine flu viruses do not normally infect humans; however, human infections with swine flu do occur. Public health officials have determined that this strain of swine flu virus spreads from human to human and can cause illness. The main effected area originated in Mexico City. We have been advised that it is EXPECTED for this disease to be under control by May and the travel advisory is set to be lifted at that time HOWEVER we are continuing to read, monitor and get updates from our dedicated travel agent and the Mexico and US government. Our wedding day is over 3 and a half months away and even though it is a day that we are looking forward to by NO MEANS will we jeopardize ANYONE'S health or comprimise anyone's well being in order to do so. If there is ANY harm or if the symptoms are still alive and well in August we definitely will re-access the situation. As of now EVERYTHING IS STILL SET TO HAVE A SAFE DESTINATION WEDDING ON AUGUST 16TH. IF any changes arise that may cause any, harm or possible danger, YOU WILL BE UPDATED and addressed. Our hearts go out to the people and families who have been affected with this horrible illness. We pray that this is contained suit NOT FOR OUR WEDDING but for the well-being of EVERYONE in Mexico and the US. Please feel free to contact us if YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS OR QUESTIONS. We appreciate your support and patience and hope to see you in August for a SAFE AND ENJOYABLE TIME IN CANCUN. MX. We also have been in contact with the resort itself in which, they have stated there have been no problems, outbreaks or issues within their immediate area. However, we will definitely CONTINUE to ensure that this is 100% accurate as the time draws near, hearing and praying that in August this will be an issue of the past. Love, Reginald & Adrienne

I sent out an similar email to my guests too, but not as detail and informative as yours.

My date is also in August, so I am still confident that everything should be gone by that. Most virus can't survive hot weathers~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarnes1108 View Post
Well i wanted to say we are leaving on April 30th for our May 2nd wedding and have not heard back from Claudia since late Feb. We have decided not to give a care anymore and sort out everything when we get there. Afterall the real reason we are going is for LOVE and everything will fall into place as it is meant to be when we arrive. Good luck to all!
I have the same attitude..good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummergirl View Post
just wanted to share what i'm using for my "guest book" ... i rounded up a bunch of generic photos of cancun and of the resort and made an 8x8 photo book on shutterfly. the guests can sign in the margins around the pics, sort of like how you'd sign someone's school yearbook. i figure i only have around 30 people, so they don't need a lot of room to sign. i mostly wanted to do this to check out the quality of shutterfly's books for when i do my wedding album and gift albums for parents, etc. i think it cost about $25. haven't received it yet.

anyway, here it is (let me know if this doesn't work): Shutterfly | View share

if anyone wants this for themselves, i'd be happy to share and then you could just change the cover and title page to suit your wedding and be done with it, lol!
The pictures are great..very beautiful set up. Mac.com also offers soemthing similiar to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimmer View Post
anyone freaking out like me about this "swine flu"?
I hate Pigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
After a year and half of planning, now we have to contend with not only the drug cartels, earthquakes, now the swine flu. What could possible be next? My wedding is May 17th in Cancun at Dreams. Hopefully, this will be cleared up by than. The news station reported only a few new cases of flu in Mexico today. Could this possibly be contained? Good luck to all the girls who have weddings in the next few weeks and that this mess is resolved.
I was thinking the same thing. I just got finished defending mexico because of the kidnappings from the Drug Cartels and now this!!!AHHHHHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackquack View Post
My wedding is May 30th and I am not going to worry myself. The only thing that is driving me crazy is the negativity that are coming from relatives, stating that they might cancel. I am very hopeful that this will change, I have been praying about this and do not have a plan B. I spent too much time on this wedding to give up! I will work on plan B if nothing changes a week before the wedding. I am hoping that we can reschedule but what a mess if so, everyone has already scheduled their vacation time at work.
Stay positive ladies:)
My Plan B....Get married while Jumping out of a plane in Vegas with Elvis. I figure planning a wedding in Mexico is more dangerous than that these days! I am gettting married with or without Mexico. I am just so sorry for those whose hearts are set on Dreams. Hang in there girls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn3878 View Post
hey girls....we are scheduled to go to Cancun on May 6th for our wedding on May 8th....but at this time I dont think we are going the #1 reason is that I am pregnant and a little scared to travel at this time with all that is going on? sad.gif
I am so completely heartbroken I cannot think straight. How is everyone else doing??
I got tears in my eyes when I read this. I am sooo sorry. I am sure when and wherever you decide to take your vows it will be wonderful! I guess this is your first sacrafice as a new parent. You are in my thoughts! smile03.gif

this is my correspondence with diana (dc22173) who just returned from her own beautiful wedding at dreams. i asked if i could share it with all of you to help put minds at ease, and she said yes of course:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc22173

We just got back about an hour ago. Everything was wonderful. I am glad this flu thing did not become a big deal until after my wedding on Saturday!!! It has not reached Cancun yet and no one at the resort seemed too concerned with it. I did notice the cooks wearing face masks on Sunday... I guess to put the guest at ease. For everyone else it was business as usual. I hope that this has not ruined any of your plans to go there.

I had 18 people come and not one has gotten sick. Most of them came back to the US on Monday. I had my two kids ages 11 and 18 at the wedding and so far nothing. I think that the media has escalated this thing a bit too much. I was reading the paper in Cancun and they even said that Cancun has no incidences of the flu. Most of the people that have gotten it live in Mexico City which is hours away from Cancun.

We kept our hands clean with anti bacterial lotion and did not drink the water unless it was from a bottle. We even brushed our teeth with bottled water. I would not hesitate to go back next week if asked :)

Diana

I know everyone is really stressed about this whole situation but no one I encountered at the resort seemed really worried about this. I was checking out this morning and speaking to some of the employees and none of them seemed very concerned. The kitchen staff is wearing masks to put the guests at ease but for everyone else it was business as usual. I was hearing from other guests that at the airport everyone was wearing masks but when we arrived this morning I saw maybe two people with mask on and they were returning to China. There was a girl on my flight from Atlanta to Richmond wearing a mask and I asked her if she just came from Mexico. She said no but she wanted to wear the mask so that she would not catch anything in Atlanta. I thought that was kind of silly but to each it's own :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummergirl View Post
this is my correspondence with diana (dc22173) who just returned from her own beautiful wedding at dreams. i asked if i could share it with all of you to help put minds at ease, and she said yes of course:

diana, i'm sure everyone is grateful for your first-hand knowledge of the current situation in mexico, but don't let all this swine flu nonsense make you think for a moment that we aren't still dying to see your pics and review! you don't get off that easy! LOL. do you at least have a teaser pic or a non-pro one of your wedding day that you can share? wink.gif

I certainly dont mean to sound insensitive...but for those of you whose wedding isnt any time soon, has anyone thought about trying to cash in on this swine flu deal. It sounds like some hotels are going to be losing a lot of business. May be a great way to renegotiate the prices a little bit. Just curious if anyone has thought about it.

Of course, my heart goes out to all who have been affected by this. I cant imagine how difficult it would be to cancel a wedding or move all of your reservations elsewhere. I hope it gets under control very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorlack76 View Post
I certainly dont mean to sound insensitive...but for those of you whose wedding isnt any time soon, has anyone thought about trying to cash in on this swine flu deal. It sounds like some hotels are going to be losing a lot of business. May be a great way to renegotiate the prices a little bit. Just curious if anyone has thought about it.

Of course, my heart goes out to all who have been affected by this. I cant imagine how difficult it would be to cancel a wedding or move all of your reservations elsewhere. I hope it gets under control very quickly.
it's ok to "go there" ... we're all friends here, and i'm sure anyone who knows you from discussions in this thread knows you don't mean anything by it. if you were a noob it might come off worse. i have to admit even i was thinking if i had just waited to book airfare i would have saved hundreds. however, as far as the resort is concerned, i doubt they will budge an inch on money matters. i was surprised (pleasantly) to see that they would even offer to move a wedding to a different resort.