Gran Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum/Coba - POST HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swocanadianbride View Post
Hi Gals... Havnt been here for awhile. Just came back home yesterday. Everything was 100%. The wedding coordinator, Karla was superb. Same as the the resort photographer, pictures that he captured on our wedding day are beautiful and prices are not that bad...Dont worry about tables, flowers and all those little things... Just think about it, your going to a different country, culture. The mexican culture will out do us at any given time, as they sure know how to set up a wedding. Right from the beginning of ur wedding day, until the end...

In the end, think about what matters... your getting married in a beautiful country with beautiful people...
Well said Elena!! This was a big reason why we wanted to have a destination wedding. We didn't want to get caught up in the "details" of chosing flowers, decor and interviewing vendors. This way, we're given A, B or C, choose and we're done! We're fully confident that we can just show up and it'll be perfect.

CONGRADULATIONS and like everyone else, can't wait to see pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight24 View Post
congrats elena...always refreshing to here another bride with a positive experience.

just curious of any ontario brides who had the legal ceremony. what requirements did have to do? i keep get mixed info. just want to be prepared.
Thats what we did and all you need is your passport, tourist card and 2 witnesses for both bride and groom.

Now they even have the marriage licence translated and apostiled for you. I'm still waiting for mine but I was told it takes 2 to 3 months. I still have a little waiting left.

Thanks Gals...Your wedding will be everything you could imagine. We had an outside DJ, DJ Bob. He made our reception rock. His charge was $450.00. USD. Also had poolside reception. Our dinner was at the Gourmet, excellent food. Our menu was chicken or steak.Karla had us in a separate room, beautiful decorated with name tags and mexican wedding favors. Our wedding cake was a 3 layer tres leches with rose petals and we chose red and white roses for our cake topper instead of a traditional one since we did not have a traditional wedding, mexican/ husband and canadian/ myself. My bouquet was white and red roses.

Seriously brides to be, you dont have any worries. The resort photographer is excellent,the wedding coordinators know exactly what their doing. They will be with you all thru the day...

Take in every moment of your wedding day...

I had my hair,make up and french manicure done at the bahia spa, the gals were great... If any one of you need prices or are interested in seeing my bouquet, or need pricing on the hair, makeup and manicure or just questions in general i would be happy to respond...

My email is ninafehr@yahoo.ca

I too am confused about the cost and lagalities involved with the wedding certificate coming from Mexico. A friend of mine was married in Mexico last year and says that technically she isn't married in Canada because they haven't paid some other fee that is required in canadahuh.gif? Makes no sense to me.... I guess I better go to city hall and get this figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raykel View Post
Welcome back Elena! Congratulations:)

Keira...quick question....how much was it to have your marriage license translated and certified? Was it included in package you chose, or was it extra?
I was included in the package. When I was there the package had just been changed and wasn't yet offered. They decided to honour the new pricing and the inclusion of the translation and apostle.

Once I have the translated certificate I can go get a new license, change my banking info, etc. etc.

Thanks Keira. That is the only part I am still confused about...I know a couple of people who told me they just left their marriage certificates in Spanish, dropped them off at AMA and voila. Another friend who just got married in the Mayan last year said that they had to get the marriage certified in Mexico and then translated and registered somehow here...it was so much hoopla they decided to do the legal marriage here and vow renewel there.

Just getting the whole thing done at once like you are sounds so much easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee147 View Post
Thats what we did and all you need is your passport, tourist card and 2 witnesses for both bride and groom.

Now they even have the marriage licence translated and apostiled for you. I'm still waiting for mine but I was told it takes 2 to 3 months. I still have a little waiting left.
ok great...that's what we were told we needed to do too. i had some info with the old way too, so i just wanted to make sure. sounds like they are making things easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raykel View Post
Thanks Keira. That is the only part I am still confused about...I know a couple of people who told me they just left their marriage certificates in Spanish, dropped them off at AMA and voila. Another friend who just got married in the Mayan last year said that they had to get the marriage certified in Mexico and then translated and registered somehow here...it was so much hoopla they decided to do the legal marriage here and vow renewel there.
Just getting the whole thing done at once like you are sounds so much easier!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeNeil View Post
I too am confused about the cost and lagalities involved with the wedding certificate coming from Mexico. A friend of mine was married in Mexico last year and says that technically she isn't married in Canada because they haven't paid some other fee that is required in canadahuh.gif? Makes no sense to me.... I guess I better go to city hall and get this figured out.
I may be able to help you ladies from Alberta out with this dilemna because I have just been dealing with all of this over the last month.

I did not have to do any extra work or spend any extra money to get everything "legalized" here. I chose to bring everything (official marriage certificate) back home with me so I could have it translated and certified here.

Before I went to all of the trouble to translate...I thought I would just bring it in to the motor vehichle / registry branch to see what they would say. It turns out that they see so many Mexican marriage certificates and as long as they can make out the location of the wedding (Tulum, Quintana Roo, Mexico)...we were good to go!! I was so impressed!!

The first step for me was the name change on my drivers licence and my vehicle registration. One tip that I found out AFTER I did this at one business...is that if you are an AMA member...they will do this all for free. I wish I would have known before I paid for it.

Now that I have recieved my new drivers licence...I can go ahead and start changing everything else. Some places just need a verbal change...others need a copy of the licence and marriage certificate.

The only thing that has been even a bit difficult is doing a land title name change. We owned our house before we got married so the land title is in my maiden name. This process has me filling out a form, having it signed by a notary public (free for AMA members), and sending it all along with my original marriage certificate (yikes!) to Edmonton, AB for them to be able to do this change. Unfortunately I cannot change my home insurance information until the land title is changed and states my new name.

I must say that it has been much easier and certainly cheaper than I thought it would be :)

As far as "legalization" goes...the way that I think about it and rationalize it...is that if you and and your husband lived in Australia and were married in Australia...and then you moved to Canada...you're still "legally" married...and your marriage certificate is still not a Canadian marriage certificate. I believe that the certificate is the thing that makes your marriage legal...no matter what country your marriage took place in. That's just my own logic to the whole deal...

TeNeil...I haven't heard anything about a "fee" to make things "legal" here...seems odd but I am curious...

Hope this helps everyone out :)