Gran Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum/Coba - POST HERE!

Well, reading these has made me realize how annoying this whole sitution really is. I was a BP bride set to leave May 1st for our wedding May 12th. Last week was so rough and I barely remember it! We are going to Jamaica May 8th and our wedding is May13th! So many months of planning for the Mayan and I have managed to whip up something at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach!

Hi Everyone,

I've just returned from GBP 4 days early due to Air Transat's overreaction to the flu situation. Liam and I were lucky enough to have celebrated our wedding on April 28th. We didn't hear about Air Transat's decision to rescue us until Claudia told Liam midway through our photo session. He told her not to tell me and I couldn't figure out why he was being so grumpy until he finally told me when we sat down to dinner. All the other guests had heared about it during the break between the ceremony and dinner so the dissapointment and speculation dominated dinner conversation a bit. ( I hope his grumpiness doesn't show in our photos!) By the time we were at the poolside reception everyone was in party mode and we had a really great time. The wedding was truly beautiful and Yuritzia was amazing. It really is as easy as sitting down with her for 45 minutes 4 days before your wedding and POOF it happens just as you expected it too.

As for Air Transat- We tried to leave early so that we could spend our second week in Mauii instead but we couldn't get out. They were HIGHLY uncommunicative and the details of when we would be "rescued" changed daily. We finally found out Sunday that we would be leaving on Tuesday. They said it was a direct flight to Vancouver but in fact we stopped in PV for an hour to pick up more passengers. If it was a true rescue they would have gotten us out earlier before the resort filled up with Mexican guests from Mexico City, Veracruz and Cancun. My view is that because people in Canada were cancelling trips and they would have had to dead head flights down to pick us up they rounded up passengers for 4 days worth of flights and two destinations as the most economical way to bring us home. We left the resort at 8:30 am yesterday and arrived home at 1:00am Cancun time. From April 28th to yesterday we had a difficult time relaxing and enjoying what was left of our wedding and honeymoon.

We feel very grateful that we actually got to have our wedding and 29 of our 30 guests were able to attend. (Although 6 guests had to fly down on West Jet because Transat didn't inform our TA about a schedule change and they missed their flight!) When we hear about what other couples have been through we know that it could have been far worse. There was one couple that we heared of where the bride and her family flew down a few days before the groom and his family were due to arrive and he was unable to make it down. Imagine spending what was supposed to have been your wedding week without your groom?

Anyhow, dispite our experience I would still recommend GBP as an ideal place for a destination wedding. I hope those of you who have had to change your plans have beautiful days wherever they may be and a lifetime of love and happiness to come.

Maggie

maggie, im so happy you were able to have your wedding, thats wonderful news! you brought tears to my eyes tho when you mentioned the couple where the groom wasnt able to make it, i would just die, the poor girl! it must have been so horrible for her.

i hope you post a review and lots of pictures! cant wait!

hey guys.. going to Gran Bahia Principe Akumal January 25 2010 is the wedding.. ahh can't wait... lots of planning left to do.. anyone had any great photophraphy from the photographers at Akumal... trying to c my photo's from the photographer but unable too.

Hi Ladies.... I hope all travel starts in June like promised to you all. I was one of the devastated brides that had her dream wedding crushed on April 28 and spent the day scrambling to find another flight and place to be legally married. I ended up in Cuba at Bella Costa in Veredero, a year of planning down the drain to only having 1 day and not one picture to go by! Honestly someone was looking out for me! I’m very fortunate to be married at the moment. It wasn’t as lavish the Bahia, it wasn’t my dream but it was legal! I wish I could have been a Bahia Bride. My husband has promised me that we can go to Tulum for our 5 year anniversary and do a renewal of vows. I can tell you Jazmin at Tulum is the best!!! She is very quick with the e-mails, at least once a week she would get back to me! I wish you all the best!

I am so excited....we are "officially" booked!!

The date, time, and location has been reserved...the deposits have been applied to our travel packages...now comes the planning!!

I've been following the thread for a couple of months...but will have to go back to the beginning and start taking notes along the way. It took me a full weekend to read through the first 140 pages and now there's even more...yikes!!

Hey Emme! Congratulations on booking! I haven't been to the Bahia Principe yet, but I just got an RSVP from my uncle and uncle who said they can't come, but they've been before and thought it was a great choice!

I'm so glad most of the ladies on this board were able to re-book in different locations or on different dates. It's such a relief. Best wishes to all of you!

Ok... I just got an email from Paloma saying the DJ is now $170. When they sent the price list before it was $150. $20... not a big deal, but do all the prices change like this? And if so, when?