Gran Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum/Coba - POST HERE!

Thanks CarrieRN...that's good to hear!! We will be staying at Coba and really like the gazebo location. Do you have any more tips about staying at Coba? Did you use an ala carte for your dinner? If so, which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emme View Post
Has anyone booked their package with Coba?
If so, what options did you have as far as the location of the wedding? Could you choose any wedding spot within the whole hotel complex? What about restaurants? If staying at Coba, could you have your wedding dinner at Gran Torguga or Tequila?
Hi Emme,

We are booked for Coba, for May 21st, 2009. We chose Coba because it offered junior suites which we thought would be nice for our guests, as some are groups of 3. We also liked that the Coba was the newest of the 3. We knew it was off the beach but most our guests said they wouldn't mind. And I always enjoy a nice walk to the beach each morning... got to fit into that wedding dress... lol. You just need to rate what qualities are more important to the majority of the guests/ yourself, you can never please everyone.. I've tried..lol.

We were given a beach location for the wedding, we were not offered any other choices. They sent us pictures of the site and it looked beautiful. I figured if we are going all the way to Mexico, we might as well get married in the sand.

We were offered 4 different restaurants for our dinner. We have approx 26-30 guests going. The dinner is included. They were all Coba al a cartes restaurants, you are not allowed to pick one of the others from the sister hotels (so no gran torgua or tequila). The choices were Italian, Seafood, Mediterrian, and French (Le Gormet). We picked Italian. If you have more than 10 guests you must pick your menu. We picked one appy, one soup, and 2 main courses (I believe the guests choose which one), and then the wedding cake. Another reason I picked Coba is that the restaurants are air conditioned. I've heard that others in the resort are not. We are getting married in May and didnt want guests to be too hot.

After dinner we are then doing a private poolside reception, with DJ. This is not included but is available at an extra cost.

Hope this helps, Let me know if you have more questions.

Heidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi_lk View Post
Hi Emme,

We are booked for Coba, for May 21st, 2009. We chose Coba because it offered junior suites which we thought would be nice for our guests, as some are groups of 3. We also liked that the Coba was the newest of the 3. We knew it was off the beach but most our guests said they wouldn't mind. And I always enjoy a nice walk to the beach each morning... got to fit into that wedding dress... lol. You just need to rate what qualities are more important to the majority of the guests/ yourself, you can never please everyone.. I've tried..lol.

We were given a beach location for the wedding, we were not offered any other choices. They sent us pictures of the site and it looked beautiful. I figured if we are going all the way to Mexico, we might as well get married in the sand.

We were offered 4 different restaurants for our dinner. We have approx 26-30 guests going. The dinner is included. They were all Coba al a cartes restaurants, you are not allowed to pick one of the others from the sister hotels (so no gran torgua or tequila). The choices were Italian, Seafood, Mediterrian, and French (Le Gormet). We picked Italian. If you have more than 10 guests you must pick your menu. We picked one appy, one soup, and 2 main courses (I believe the guests choose which one), and then the wedding cake. Another reason I picked Coba is that the restaurants are air conditioned. I've heard that others in the resort are not. We are getting married in May and didnt want guests to be too hot.

After dinner we are then doing a private poolside reception, with DJ. This is not included but is available at an extra cost.

Hope this helps, Let me know if you have more questions.

Heidi

It great to hear some infor about Coba! There is not alot on here for Coba. I would love to see your picture of the Coba wedding location!! I was just at Coba in Feb. and I loved it. The beach is a bit far but so is everything else. It is a massive resort. It's just a short trollie ride away. Also just so you know my man and I LOVED the italian al a cart!

We went last week to the Bahia Principe. All of the resorts are nice, but it is nice to wake up and be right by the beach when you are at Tulum. We met a couple who was staying at Coba and they said they had a small pool and they would have preferred to be by the beach. Just be sure of what you want! But they are all very nice!!!

Hi ladies!

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. My husband and I are renewing our vows at the Bahia Principe Akumal on Aug. 15, 2009. Technically, we're already married, but we never got to do a reception when we had our civil ceremony last year, so this will basically be like a wedding. I'm pretty excited, and I was even more excited when I found this forum. You all have done such a fantastic job getting all this information and answering other member's questions and planning your own weddings. I'm so impressed! And thank you! I feel better booking at a place I have never seen before knowing that it's backed by all your great reviews.

Oh, so my first question - my date is in August. How worried should I be about hurricanes or bad weather?

See you all on the board :)

Thanks for all of the great information Heidi!! As Erica said, there is not a lot of information that is specific to Coba...so this really helps!!

We stayed at this resort (in Coba) a few years ago and it was beautiful. I absolutely agree with you about the rooms. I believe that our guests would rather have the newer rooms with the ammenities that they offer compared to being close to the beach. Every situation is different and the brides really need to know their groups.

Can you please tell me more about the private reception that you're having? This is what we're looking at as well...and although there are alot of posts in this forum about this...I think you would probably have the most current pricing and information. Mainly, I am curious about the location? price per adult? price per child (if you're having any children there)? price of DJ? what type of drinks are offered? if they have an alternate (inside) location in case of rain? Anything else that might be helpful...

Everything about your wedding sounds exactly how I have things "planned" in my head as well...right down to the number of people attending and everything :)

We had our reception at the Mediterranan restaurant. We were the only ones there for most of it and occupied half the restaurant. It worked out perfectly. At Coba, there was a quiet pool, the activities pool and two jacuzzi pools. All with bars. We didnt have anyone complain about taking the trolley to the beach.

Ok so I just spent 3 days reading this entire thread all 133 pages ha-ha! I feel much better and very well informed. After all the reading I think I’m leaning towards the Coba. It looks like they do not have their own Beach wedding location they use either the Tulum’s or the Akumal’s depending on which one is free. They are both great as far as I’m concerned. I love the Jr. Suite’s at the Coba and all of the a la carts. (I was just their in February). I feel much better now that I have made that decision. It sucks that there are not many Coba brides to chat with but I’m sure most of my question will be general so I hope I can still find help on here!

I just have to tell anyone who is going here and like a good adventure to go to Hidden Worlds Cenotes Park!! This was by far our favorite excursion when we went to Mexico in February. This attraction includes a unique SkyCycle (A cable bicycle suspended at treetop level over the abundant Mayan rainforest),the thrilling jungle and cenote splashdown(an invigorating water landing inside the cenote itself) Zip Lines (600 foot long) and Rappel (descend straight down through the collapse in the jungle floor by rope into the concealed wonders of the cenote system below, using rock-climbing harnesses), as well as Snorkeling and Cavern Diving expeditions along the Yucatan Peninsula. Hidden world is located about 15 minutes away form our resort, It’s a must do!

Hey I just thought I would pass on the info I just got from Paloma.

My question: If we have a Thursday wedding can we book the disco or will it be unavailable because of the Mexican fiesta night?

Her Answer: THE DISCO IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO RENT FOR PRIVATE EVENTS.

So ladies what should I do? I need to have a reception with first dance etc.

Erica, why dont you see if they can accomodate a poolside reception after then dinner? that is what we are doing. you pay $17 for the DJ per hour and depending on what drinks you want served$5, $12 and up per guest per hour (the 2nd & 3rd hours are cheaper BTW) we are doing that, they set up lights, chairs, DJ& your own bar with own bar tender and you get to dance the night away beside the pool under the stars. ours for 18 people will cost$550 USD i think it is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica_Bellerive View Post
Hey I just thought I would pass on the info I just got from Paloma.

My question: If we have a Thursday wedding can we book the disco or will it be unavailable because of the Mexican fiesta night?

Her Answer: THE DISCO IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO RENT FOR PRIVATE EVENTS.

So ladies what should I do? I need to have a reception with first dance etc.