Gran Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum/Coba - POST HERE!

@@CindRumb great review sounds like your had a great time. Love the tequila idea lol our crowd could have some fun with that also lol

I am worried about the salon hair I hear mixed reviews, makes me nervous. What wasn't great about it? I had mine done in Jamaica for a wedding and did amazing job I was surprised. Was hoping to get the same here :(

Did you do a symbolic ceremony?

How were the decoration selection, I guess that's what I am struggling with the most at this point, trying to get organized before the fall and order some things and get out if the way. Did you have many options for colours for your decorations ? Or was everything pretty basic? We were going to order Mrs and Mr signs for our chairs but in the restaurant can you even see something like that?

We are having about 60 people renting an entire restaurant sounds better then we dont have to move after dinner I like how it's only one location......

Hello!

I just got married at the Gazebo in Tulum at 2PM and stayed at the Akumal in April.

We booked out the entire Frutos Del Mar seafood restaurant on the Akumal side for the reception (right next to the beach) and I couldn’t have been happier. (There wasn't any air conditioning, which I wish there would have been, they had the windows open and the fans on, so it's was okay) We had it from 5:30-10:30. The dinner was delicious, the staff were amazing. I brought some of my own decorations and they made the place look great! In total it was $2500 USD. That included the entire restaurant, the plated dinner and all the drinks. For 54 people. I also had the DJ from 5 hours, that was $1050. He was excellent. We had such a good party in there. After 10 30, we had a music player, walked next door to the snack bar and continued to party. No one cared that we were there, lots of drinks and music. Just put a few tables together outside the snack bar and your good to go. I didn’t go to the disco because there was no air conditioning and my dress was hot hot!

Because we booked out an entire restaurant I took down a lot of my own supplies which was not a necessity but it’s a personal choice. I had my own chair sashes, table runners, napkins, feathers which were added to the flower centerpieces that I ordered from the hotel. I also brought all bouquets and boutonnieres for the men(fake flowers)….had them made from a lady on Etsy and they were absolutely beautiful. I got a couple wrist corsages from the resort and they didn’t turn out that great. I had them provide the cake, it was two tier and they added my own decorations to it, it was $200 USD.  I brought my own CD’s for the DJ, he added them to the mix, no issues. I had plastic cups for the favors with our names on them, everyone used them at the reception. If they wanted us to kiss they had to do a shot of tequila, everyone had fun with this…maybe a little too fun haha.

The resort photographer took pictures of the ceremony. Just because so many pictures were include in my wedding package. I did have my own photographer there, and they stayed out of each other’s way.  I found the resort photographer, very nice and polite, I never had any issue with them with regards to having my own photographer. They didn’t seem to mind at all. The only downfall of having our own photographer was getting around to take pictures, I couldn’t arrange private transportation, so we just had to take the trolley like everyone else. Wasn’t a huge deal.

All 7 of us used the resort salon for hair and make-up. I didn’t care for them at all, neither did any of my girls. I also didn’t think to ask about what was going to be said during the ceremony. And it was quite religious. We didn’t care to much for that, I should have asked prior too but I totally didn’t even think of this.

If anyone has any questions just ask!

I didn't know we could rent out the whole resturant... it sounds like you had a nice wedding and im happy for you :)

I'm getting married on August 4, and we will have 33 guests total. Do you have any pictures from your wedding you can share? I am also getting married at the Gazebo.

Can I bring a CD of songs for the DJ to mix in?

Hello everyone,

I am getting married on August 16th, 2014 on akumal beach at 4:00pm.

I have been emailing back and forth with Linda but my questions are just not being answered. I was wondering if any of you could help me. If we have our reception in one of the restraunts where do I find the menus. Also to follow the dinner if we wanted to do a poolside reception with our own music about how much does this cost?? Thanks any help is appreciated!!!

I didn't know we could rent out the whole resturant... it sounds like you had a nice wedding and im happy for you :)

I'm getting married on August 4, and we will have 33 guests total. Do you have any pictures from your wedding you can share? I am also getting married at the Gazebo.

Can I bring a CD of songs for the DJ to mix in?

I don't know if renting the whole resturant is very popular because it's a little pricey but it was awesome. They set up a head table for us, a cake table, a guest book table,  the food was amazing, excellent service from all the staff. The dance floor was perfect and so much fun. Great view of the beach, I seriously can't say enough good things about it. I have a couple pictures I can send your way.

The DJ will for sure take your cd's...I brought a couple and he was very open to playing whatever we wanted.

But I will say that at 10 30 we had to shut it down, there was no staying later than that.

@@CindRumb great review sounds like your had a great time. Love the tequila idea lol our crowd could have some fun with that also lol

I am worried about the salon hair I hear mixed reviews, makes me nervous. What wasn't great about it? I had mine done in Jamaica for a wedding and did amazing job I was surprised. Was hoping to get the same here :(

Did you do a symbolic ceremony?

How were the decoration selection, I guess that's what I am struggling with the most at this point, trying to get organized before the fall and order some things and get out if the way. Did you have many options for colours for your decorations ? Or was everything pretty basic? We were going to order Mrs and Mr signs for our chairs but in the restaurant can you even see something like that?

We are having about 60 people renting an entire restaurant sounds better then we dont have to move after dinner I like how it's only one location......

I think what frustrated me about the salon was that I brought a couple pictures of what I wanted and my own hair extensions and what she did looked nothing like the picture, she tried 2 times. And the English was seriously lacking. I tried to explain a couple times what I wanted but it wasn’t going great. Finally my MOH came over and well pulled my hair to side and pinned it. It did turn out awesome but it was for sure frustrating. And my other girls had pictures and their hair wasn’t what they wanted either. They didn’t have a big barrel curling iron, just a tiny one and my hair was curled with a flat iron. I’ll admit I am a make-up snob and wasn’t impressed with their brands. I should have known better!

I did do the symbolic ceremony and I didn’t expect religion to come into play but it totally did. There weren’t tradition vows either, I should have asked exactly what was going be said. I would like have liked to actually say “I Do”. Again that was my fault for not clarifying.

There were white bows on the chairs for the ceremony. Because I brought my own decorations for the reception, I have no idea what their options are. I don’t think anyone would see the Mrs and Mr signs. They did us a beautiful head table and all our guests tables around us and a separate dance floor. It was perfect.

I don't know if renting the whole resturant is very popular because it's a little pricey but it was awesome. They set up a head table for us, a cake table, a guest book table,  the food was amazing, excellent service from all the staff. The dance floor was perfect and so much fun. Great view of the beach, I seriously can't say enough good things about it. I have a couple pictures I can send your way.

The DJ will for sure take your cd's...I brought a couple and he was very open to playing whatever we wanted.

But I will say that at 10 30 we had to shut it down, there was no staying later than that.

I think what frustrated me about the salon was that I brought a couple pictures of what I wanted and my own hair extensions and what she did looked nothing like the picture, she tried 2 times. And the English was seriously lacking. I tried to explain a couple times what I wanted but it wasn’t going great. Finally my MOH came over and well pulled my hair to side and pinned it. It did turn out awesome but it was for sure frustrating. And my other girls had pictures and their hair wasn’t what they wanted either. They didn’t have a big barrel curling iron, just a tiny one and my hair was curled with a flat iron. I’ll admit I am a make-up snob and wasn’t impressed with their brands. I should have known better!

I did do the symbolic ceremony and I didn’t expect religion to come into play but it totally did. There weren’t tradition vows either, I should have asked exactly what was going be said. I would like have liked to actually say “I Do”. Again that was my fault for not clarifying.

There were white bows on the chairs for the ceremony. Because I brought my own decorations for the reception, I have no idea what their options are. I don’t think anyone would see the Mrs and Mr signs. They did us a beautiful head table and all our guests tables around us and a separate dance floor. It was perfect.

I saw the pics... thanks for sharing... your dress was GORGEOUS! I  am doing the legal ceremony, but we are having my sister and fiances friend do a short reading after our vows. I am really looking forward to it.... its less about 5 weeks away!! :)

Is there a gym on the Tulum resort?

Did you have a cd or guitar trio play music for you when you walked down the aisle?

Do we have to have our wedding party (bridesmaid and groomsmen) stand by us during the ceremony? I was hoping to have them sit throughout it.

Hello!

I just got married at the Gazebo in Tulum at 2PM and stayed at the Akumal in April.

We booked out the entire Frutos Del Mar seafood restaurant on the Akumal side for the reception (right next to the beach) and I couldn’t have been happier. (There wasn't any air conditioning, which I wish there would have been, they had the windows open and the fans on, so it's was okay) We had it from 5:30-10:30. The dinner was delicious, the staff were amazing. I brought some of my own decorations and they made the place look great! In total it was $2500 USD. That included the entire restaurant, the plated dinner and all the drinks. For 54 people. I also had the DJ from 5 hours, that was $1050. He was excellent. We had such a good party in there. After 10 30, we had a music player, walked next door to the snack bar and continued to party. No one cared that we were there, lots of drinks and music. Just put a few tables together outside the snack bar and your good to go. I didn’t go to the disco because there was no air conditioning and my dress was hot hot!

Because we booked out an entire restaurant I took down a lot of my own supplies which was not a necessity but it’s a personal choice. I had my own chair sashes, table runners, napkins, feathers which were added to the flower centerpieces that I ordered from the hotel. I also brought all bouquets and boutonnieres for the men(fake flowers)….had them made from a lady on Etsy and they were absolutely beautiful. I got a couple wrist corsages from the resort and they didn’t turn out that great. I had them provide the cake, it was two tier and they added my own decorations to it, it was $200 USD.  I brought my own CD’s for the DJ, he added them to the mix, no issues. I had plastic cups for the favors with our names on them, everyone used them at the reception. If they wanted us to kiss they had to do a shot of tequila, everyone had fun with this…maybe a little too fun haha.

The resort photographer took pictures of the ceremony. Just because so many pictures were include in my wedding package. I did have my own photographer there, and they stayed out of each other’s way.  I found the resort photographer, very nice and polite, I never had any issue with them with regards to having my own photographer. They didn’t seem to mind at all. The only downfall of having our own photographer was getting around to take pictures, I couldn’t arrange private transportation, so we just had to take the trolley like everyone else. Wasn’t a huge deal.

All 7 of us used the resort salon for hair and make-up. I didn’t care for them at all, neither did any of my girls. I also didn’t think to ask about what was going to be said during the ceremony. And it was quite religious. We didn’t care to much for that, I should have asked prior too but I totally didn’t even think of this.

If anyone has any questions just ask!

Did you have to request the two tier cake? Did it cost you extra?

I made programs for the ceremony. Do you think that These could be taped to the chairs for the ceremony for guests?

I also brought candles for the ceremony.... will these be set up if I bring them?

Great thanks so much !!! Lots to think about :)

Hello everyone,

I am getting married on August 16th, 2014 on akumal beach at 4:00pm.

I have been emailing back and forth with Linda but my questions are just not being answered. I was wondering if any of you could help me. If we have our reception in one of the restraunts where do I find the menus. Also to follow the dinner if we wanted to do a poolside reception with our own music about how much does this cost?? Thanks any help is appreciated!!!

Check the official gran bahia thread everything is there !!! At the very start of the thread. :)

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/63282-official-gran-bahia-principe-riviera-maya-thread/

I saw the pics... thanks for sharing... your dress was GORGEOUS! I  am doing the legal ceremony, but we are having my sister and fiances friend do a short reading after our vows. I am really looking forward to it.... its less about 5 weeks away!! :)

Is there a gym on the Tulum resort? -  I stayed at Akumal and yes there was a gym

Did you have a cd or guitar trio play music for you when you walked down the aisle? -  I used a CD for myself and bridesmaids to walk down the aisle. The guitar trio played for the guests before the wedding, I didn't get to see them but heard there were good.

Do we have to have our wedding party (bridesmaid and groomsmen) stand by us during the ceremony? I was hoping to have them sit throughout it. - I had a huge wedding party, 6 bridesmaid and 6 groomsmen, they all stood up there with us. The whole thing probably lasted 15 minutes. I'm sure if you wanted them to sit that wouldn't be an issue. Just ask to have extra chairs for them to sit.

Did you have to request the two tier cake? Did it cost you extra? -  I did request a two tier cake and it was $200, which was expensive. I think the standard cake is free with a package? You can add your own decoration to any cake.

I made programs for the ceremony. Do you think that These could be taped to the chairs for the ceremony for guests?

I also brought candles for the ceremony.... will these be set up if I bring them? -  The wedding coordinator can place them on the chairs for you, just make sure she doesn't forget, I had fans for everyone...she forgot to put them on the chairs but did hand them out after the ceremony.  The wedding itself was so windy I wouldn't bring candles to the ceremony. Unless you got those flameless ones? I think they would set up anything you asked though!

hi, has anyone recently had a bbq themed buffet dinner/reception? if so roughly what time does this start and how are the tables set up? is it self service? and has anyone any pics they canshare with me please? 

• VIP Member

I had it, but in 2008 when I got married.  At the time it was dinner from 6-7:30 and then dancing from 7:30-10:30.  It was self service and a long row of food options.  Very delicious.