Gran Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum/Coba - POST HERE!

While on your trip, were you guys worried about entertaining your guests on resort during your time there? My fiance is worried because we have like 50 people going, and he wants to make sure we get alone time and arent overwhelmed with running into everyone on the resort.

This was a significant worry for us.  We only had 17 people and it was exhausting trying to make sure that we met up with everyone and that everyone was happy during their trip.  Our wedding package included a private dinner on the beach and a couples massage.  We did both the night before the wedding and I am so happy that we took advantage of both.  It allowed us the time to reconnect and relax right before our big day.  And everyone knew where we were and gave us our privacy.  If you have this option definitely take advantage of it! 

After our wedding we stayed for a second week and switched resorts.  When it was finally the two of us we realized just how tired we were from our first week with our families.  If you have the means to stay longer - after everyone has gone back home (or switch resorts!) do it!!!  You will not regret it.  It gives you and your new husband that time together to relax and enjoy your new roles as husband and wife. :)

Also, the GBP is a massive resort.  I am sure you will be able to find a place where no one can find you to have that alone time!

Edited by DinaQtobe

This was a significant worry for us.  We only had 17 people and it was exhausting trying to make sure that we met up with everyone and that everyone was happy during their trip.  Our wedding package included a private dinner on the beach and a couples massage.  We did both the night before the wedding and I am so happy that we took advantage of both.  It allowed us the time to reconnect and relax right before our big day.  And everyone knew where we were and gave us our privacy.  If you have this option definitely take advantage of it! 

After our wedding we stayed for a second week and switched resorts.  When it was finally the two of us we realized just how tired we were from our first week with our families.  If you have the means to stay longer - after everyone has gone back home (or switch resorts!) do it!!!  You will not regret it.  It gives you and your new husband that time together to relax and enjoy your new roles as husband and wife. :)

Also, the GBP is a massive resort.  I am sure you will be able to find a place where no one can find you to have that alone time!

We already booked our trip....  our wedding is august 4, and we plan to stay there from Wednesday July 30 to thursday August 7.... about 50 people are going - which is WAY more than we anticipated! I was thinking that around 30 would attend. it is causing me A LOT of anxiety and I almost feel like calling off the entire thing and just do a courthouse or something. 

Also, one of my bridesmaid's sister is friends with my sister... and obviously I didnt invite her because I wanted to keep guest list small, but she kept complaining... my sister asked if she could come as her guest and I agreed to it, but now this girl invited her boyfriend, his brother, and another girl and her boyfriend to all come down! She said they wont be coming for the wedding, but just to "hang out." Are you serious? This is causing me even more anxiety. I wanted a destination wedding to escape, not be surrounded by people. 

My fiance and I are worried that it won't be like a vacation and that we will have to surround ourselves around everyone the entire time... like beach, meals, activities, etc.... I told him just to be assertive and tell them we want to spend alone time together, but he doesnt want to offend anyone. 

We already booked our trip....  our wedding is august 4, and we plan to stay there from Wednesday July 30 to thursday August 7.... about 50 people are going - which is WAY more than we anticipated! I was thinking that around 30 would attend. it is causing me A LOT of anxiety and I almost feel like calling off the entire thing and just do a courthouse or something. 

Also, one of my bridesmaid's sister is friends with my sister... and obviously I didnt invite her because I wanted to keep guest list small, but she kept complaining... my sister asked if she could come as her guest and I agreed to it, but now this girl invited her boyfriend, his brother, and another girl and her boyfriend to all come down! She said they wont be coming for the wedding, but just to "hang out." Are you serious? This is causing me even more anxiety. I wanted a destination wedding to escape, not be surrounded by people. 

My fiance and I are worried that it won't be like a vacation and that we will have to surround ourselves around everyone the entire time... like beach, meals, activities, etc.... I told him just to be assertive and tell them we want to spend alone time together, but he doesnt want to offend anyone. 

Since your wedding is  closer to the end of your trip, take the day after for just the two of you.  Make this very known to your guests prior to even leaving.  Tell people that you need the time together, they should understand.  Honestly, the stress of our guests was more our own fault - we wanted to make sure that everyone was happy and be able to visit everyone.  They weren't actively seeking us out, we were seeking them out!  We live far from both of our families and the DW was a way for us all to see eachother for a week - which never happens!  We definitely put the stress on ourselves.  If you go down with the mentality that you are there on vacation for yourselves I don't think you will have a problem.

I just returned from my wedding trip to Grand Bahia Principe Akumal. It was the best vacation and wedding I could have ever asked for! Eugina and her assistant Gina were awesome! The day went off without a hitch. It started with the hair and makeup duo arriving at the resort to do myself my mom and my sisters hair. http://www.yucatanhair.com/ Michael and Martina were amazing! They both work at the same time so you are finished hair and makeup in what feels like no time. They were more then willing to try and get around the resort fee of $90 per person.. we tried to be sneeky but didnt work.. very high security. I didnt mind paying because they have very reasonable prices! After that Gina brought the flowers to my room they were beautiful... although do watch.. some flowers that were supposed to included in my package we paid for up front...  i knew this at the time just didnt speak up. We paid almost $200 for flowers. 
Next I received a call that the cart was ready to pick us up... we were running late.. which i never do... and i watched a wedding hte day before that was 1/2 hour late and i thought how does that happen... well it happened! Just the three of us getting ready takes a lot of time! 
Anyway cart drove us to location... Eugina and Gina were there waiting for me! they gave us a quick run down on the way the walk where to stand ect.... then the music started and she ushered us when to walk.
I only had one bridesmaid so we made it down before the music was finished which was fine because they had turned it off at the right time.
We ended up having our own officiant which read our own speach/reading... it was perfect for a destination wedding.. (I can send it to whomever may want to use it) It was perfect they had a table with flowers for him and a cordless microphone.
As the ceremony finished we kissed and walked down the isle to a champagne toast and mariachi band they didnt stay for the 45 mins it says in the wedding package but that was fine... 45 mins is a long time and i wanted to get along with photos.
The photos the resort photographer took are amazing.. we went with the 15 package.. they took almost 200 and then met with us a few days later so we could choose.. they try to sell you on more.. but we had a couple photographers in the group who took 100's of photos so we didn't need more then the 15 from the resort.. even though they were amazing.
We went to La Hasienda for some photo ops and around the resort and beach... it was perfect..
Then attended dinner at Dolce Vita.. at first i thought 2 hours for dinner would be plenty but it seemed to go so fast! We didnt do any speeches or anything just a quick thank you to the group and it was already 2 hours! everyone was having such a great time! :) We then headed steps outside to the poolside for the outdoor reception.. i didnt realize we were getting a DJ and went ahead and made a playlist myself... so when Eugina said i did get one included i was very happy! I had already done all the work with the playlist so i just asked him to play what i had on my list and then it was great because the guests could also make requests. We had a full bar but only paid for the lower option one!!! 
At 10:30 it was all over and it was the best day :) everyone had a blast and most importantly my husband and I. 
I had so much help from people in this community if anyone has any questions please email me
amandaherrling@@gmail.com I am more than happy to help any brides who have any questions! :)

For any brides uncertain about the poolside reception, just thought I would let you know in case you didn't know like I did but you HAVE to choose a bar option in order to have a poolside reception.The lobby bar is literally through a set of doors right in front of the pool so we thought why should we pay $2600 for a bar when its free and really close to where the reception is set up..We were wrong, they wont allow you to have a reception without choosing a bar option which I guess is how they charge you for it in the first place, but they don't even offer you premium booze either in these packages.

Like how can they justify $1400 and then almost $3000 for a different kind of booze..You don't get more service just because you bought the more expensive bar, your still getting the chairs, tables, soft lighting and DJ ur just choosing to have all booze options instead of 4 Special Cocktails.

I just don't get it and I don't think its reasonable at all..We trying to negotiate on the price cause they have changed the price around like 3 times so we don't even know which price is the correct one. But regardless we wont be paying $3000 for booze that's free.

National Bar
Beer, Rum, Vodka, Tequila, Cocktails, Gin, Whisky                             $2680

Special Cocktails
Beer, Pina Coladas, Margaritas, Sparkling Wine                                  $1400

• VIP Member

we went with the cheapest package and there was a full bar there anyway.  This has happened for many people.  So if you don't mind walking to the nearby bar anyway, then the cheapest option would be fine, even if they didn't include everything like they have for others.

I've seen it done both ways, but the cake cut at the poolside reception didn't get eaten.

I've seen it done both ways, but the cake cut at the poolside reception didn't get eaten.

Tlseege did you say you had the bbq?if so what is the earliest time you can have this,and also did you have ur reception/drinks at the same time?

Hi everyone!

My review of my wedding at this resort is a few weeks late but thought I would share my experience with all you brides that are still planning.

We got married on January 30 at 4:30pm on Akumal Beach. We had the Remember Symbolic wedding package. 
We stayed at the COBA resort for 10 days.

We had 40 guests from all over Canada attend our wedding.

We had Maria as our wedding coordinator.

We bought the 3 hour package from Arrecife (Tropic One Studios) Luis was our photographer and he was amazing. He was fun, organized and really made everyone have fun with the pictures. We got 80 "finished" pictures. The day before we left we met him in the Tropic one office, he turns on a slide show of all the finished pics he took and then shows you how to select the 80 you want. Within 2 hours he had the disc ready to go for us.

We had a poolside reception at the Arrecife Jaccuzi pool on the Coba resort.

We paid for just the basic package for the reception and EVERYTHING was served, even made us different types of shots. The area was so beautifully decorated and we made a playlist on our iPad but they had a person working the sound controls and mic. We did our speeches before the first dance started.

I sent pictures of the flowers and cake I wanted ahead of time and both the cake and flowers were exactly what I wanted. 

All in all it was a great week. Leading up to the heading down there I was nervous about the communication with my WC and the photographer, but trust me when I say that when you arrive, they are available any time, for anything. 

If you are looking for a timeline of events...

Picked up guests and groom from COBA lobby at 3:50

Picked up bride and bridesmaids from room at 4:20

Ceremony started at 4:30

Ceremony lasted approx 15 minutes.

There was sparking wine available for a quick toast.

Group Pictures and family pictures took about 15-20 minutes.

Then a shuttle brought our guests back to the lobby while the wedding party/bride/groom did their pictures.

Dinner at the Portofino Italian Restaurant at 6pm. We did a little introduction to the wedding party as they entered. No speeches. though. We could have though because we were the only people in the restaurant until almost 7pm. We had to pick a set menu because we had over 30 people. We had the italian sampler which is basically a buffet. Then Minestrone soup and for the main course it was Chicken Gorgonzola.

Cut the cake around 7:30. We had a 3 tier chocolate cake. 

Our guests then headed across the path to our poolside reception which was from 8-11.

We brought down some small decorations and the WC set it up for us no problem. If you are wanting things done a particular way then maybe designate someone to go help the WC.

We also brought down gift bags for our guests. The bag itself was a beach bag, inside we put in 2 drinking mugs, homemade soap, some SPF lipblam, sunscreen wipes, small packets of aloe, we bought a magnet for each bag from the Hacienda, and then a bunch of snacks/halloween sized candy. Our guests loved it!

My advice to brides.... be patient with the Wedding Co-ordinator. Generally they don't start to take you serious until your final payments are due with your travel agent which is generally 2 months before your wedding. When you get there, they are super organized, always available and they really went above and beyond my expectations with lots of little extras thrown our way.

If I can answer any questions for you, please feel free to contact me. I will try my best to help!

Cheers!

Sara