Gran Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum/Coba - POST HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubya View Post

And if you have a 12 or 1pm ceremony, fight that!!!! Fight that until you are absolutely certain there is no other option. Change the location if you have to! We saw several brides in their full on hair and make up sitting in the heat at the snack bar just cooking in their dress...waiting, waiting, waiting for dinner. We also talked to some other guests who reported that had to get ready for the ceremony, then change back into their swimsuit or whatever, then later get ready all over again for the rest of the wedding. Plus, it leaves more time for people to get TOO drunk.

My ceremony is at 3 pm - I wanted a later time, but they said no other options were available.

We plan to do a cocktail hour from 5 to 6 with guitar trio, and dinner from 6 to 8... then poolside from 8 to 10:30...

Do you think 3pm is an ok time? :-/

Also, do you recommend DJ or Ipod for reception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubya View Post

The DJ was $630 USD. I think the lights are fun, I think they just helped the party. Our reception was in Akumal and the loud pool. There was ample room for dancing for all 53 of us.

Dinner was in Frutos Del Mar but the menu was from Dolce Vita. We had the truffle chicken and it looked boring but people loved it. Very tasty and nothing too weird for picky guests. We had the 3 milks cake. Other brides on this site recommended it and it was delicious!

All in all we paid $4800 CAN for 53 guests. The package was Unforgettable at $1620. That included the ceremony, extra bottles of Moët (which went over large! Excellent choice), and a full bar reception. No extra fliers or decorations from the resort. We provides seashells for the dinner table decoration and they looked great but next time is probably save my money there. We also provided 20 disposable cameras at dinner for our guests, gave everyone a 20oz Bubba keg, and handed out glow-in-the-dark necklaces, brackets and aviators at the reception. The photos are AMAZING with everyone lit up.

Photography was $3100 additional - which is know is ridiculous. However, I'd rather pay more than organize a photographer in Canada coming down with us. It was more than the original package but I chose to buy ALL the photos the photographer took and unknown I was swindled but don't care. I used the resort photographer. I had Martin who was great, and helped contribute to the party.

Just to be clear:

Unforgettable package $1620
Reception: $2680
Extra champagne: $225
Photography: $3100

I'd post pics but I'm having internet problems right now. I can only use my phone. When I get it fixed, hopefully ASAP, I'll post. :)

My ceremony is at 3 pm - I wanted a later time, but they said no other options were available.

We plan to do a cocktail hour from 5 to 6 with guitar trio, and dinner from 6 to 8... then poolside from 8 to 10:30...

Do you think 3pm is an ok time? :-/

Also, do you recommend DJ or Ipod for reception?

I think 3pm is fine. But the cocktail hour is more money. Why such a short reception? Where's the other 1/2 hr? I recommend paying for the DJ and doing your own playlist on the iPod. The music the DJs played was terrible, Nd hardly anyone danced at any of the receptions I saw. But it's nice for the lighting and for guests to be able to make requests. One of my guests requested "Home for a Rest", a Canadian staple that I missed on my list, and it got everyone dancing in a circle and jigging and whatnot

I think 3pm is fine. But the cocktail hour is more money. Why such a short reception? Where's the other 1/2 hr? I recommend paying for the DJ and doing your own playlist on the iPod. The music the DJs played was terrible, Nd hardly anyone danced at any of the receptions I saw. But it's nice for the lighting and for guests to be able to make requests. One of my guests requested "Home for a Rest", a Canadian staple that I missed on my list, and it got everyone dancing in a circle and jigging and whatnot
What did people do if they didn't dance at the receptions?? I'm starting to worry about our coba poolside reception. From the photos it just looks like a walkway next to a pool with a bar. It looks like even a first dance there would be akward. Anyone who's seen the space and can speak to it let me know. Thanks

The DJ was $630 USD. I think the lights are fun, I think they just helped the party. Our reception was in Akumal and the loud pool. There was ample room for dancing for all 53 of us. Dinner was in Frutos Del Mar but the menu was from Dolce Vita. We had the truffle chicken and it looked boring but people loved it. Very tasty and nothing too weird for picky guests. We had the 3 milks cake. Other brides on this site recommended it and it was delicious! All in all we paid $4800 CAN for 53 guests. The package was Unforgettable at $1620. That included the ceremony, extra bottles of Moët (which went over large! Excellent choice), and a full bar reception. No extra fliers or decorations from the resort. We provides seashells for the dinner table decoration and they looked great but next time is probably save my money there. We also provided 20 disposable cameras at dinner for our guests, gave everyone a 20oz Bubba keg, and handed out glow-in-the-dark necklaces, brackets and aviators at the reception. The photos are AMAZING with everyone lit up. Photography was $3100 additional - which is know is ridiculous. However, I'd rather pay more than organize a photographer in Canada coming down with us. It was more than the original package but I chose to buy ALL the photos the photographer took and unknown I was swindled but don't care. I used the resort photographer. I had Martin who was great, and helped contribute to the party. Just to be clear: Unforgettable package $1620 Reception: $2680 Extra champagne: $225 Photography: $3100 I'd post pics but I'm having internet problems right now. I can only use my phone. When I get it fixed, hopefully ASAP, I'll post. :)
Thanks for all the info. :) Did the reception include dinner also or just open bar??? Glad all went well. Can't wait to see your pictures! Did you get video also?

For music during dinner, does anyone know if you have to bring your own ipod and speakers to the restaurant, or if you give your ipod to your wedding coordinator, will she have it set up in the restaurant with the resorts equipment?
I didn't think you could have an iPod during dinner at the restaurant because its semi private. Unless your doing the private dinner you pay extra for.

• VIP Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by egagne87 View Post

What did people do if they didn't dance at the receptions??

I'm starting to worry about our coba poolside reception. From the photos it just looks like a walkway next to a pool with a bar. It looks like even a first dance there would be akward. Anyone who's seen the space and can speak to it let me know.

Thanks

Here is a wedding I photographed that had a Coba Poolside Reception.

http://faberphotography.com/weddings/cheryl-aaron-gran-bahia-principe-coba-destination-wedding-photos/2012

You can see there are high top tables and chairs all set up. It's not just a walkway.  There is also a really nice area for the first dance which you can also see pictured. It's in front of the hammock location (hammocks removed).