Gran Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum/Coba - POST HERE!

A year ago we went to Xcaret with my 6 month old and 10 year old.  The 6 month old didn't see much.. hahah but it was fun.  It's like a zoo/beach/recreational park at the same time.  We really enjoyed it.  If you feel at all adventurous you can go by collectivo instead of taking the whole tour.  We liked the fact that we could come back whenever we wanted which was around 3 pm.  We also bought our tickets in advance from their website and it was something like 10% cheaper. We also went to playa del carmen via collectivo, had a great day, walked up to Cafe Celine and had a lemonade.  Everyone is so nice with kids!  It was refreshing!
Thankyou

I have been following this thread for a month now and am finally making a post :) Getting married in 59 days at Akumal beach location, staying at Coba. March 20, 2013 is the day. We have been to this resort for a vacation and were so happy with it, so it was a no-brainer to get married here. We have 30 guests, including my finance's 9 and 10 year old children. I agree with all the brides about being frustrated with WCs not replying and playing the waiting game. Finally my wedding is less than two months away and I'm getting responses in a reasonable amount of time. So yes, I totally agree you need answers from the resort to help you with other planning, but rest assured they will have more contact with you closer to the date. A few questions for brides out there: If anyone has been there recently, what theme is the night entertainment each night? Specifically I'd like to know Wednesday. Anyone have any opinions on the Portofino restaurant for the dinner? I am thinking of bringing material down to decorate the ceremony site at Akumal, any past brides do you have an estimate of how wide the wedding archway thing is at the beach location? How flexible was the WC with the time of the ceremony? I've already emailed requesting an earlier ceremony (we are at 4:00 right now). Maria said she'd try to get an earlier timer but cannot promise. My issue is that I'd really like to do photos after the ceremony but my photographer is worried about losing light too soon. Our dinner is at 6, and maybe the timing is too tight to do photos in between a ceremony at 4 and a dinner at 6. Thanks for all the helpful tips. Nice knowing other people are stressing about the same details I am!

Originally Posted by CrystalandShawn View Post

I have been following this thread for a month now and am finally making a post :)

Getting married in 59 days at Akumal beach location, staying at Coba. March 20, 2013 is the day. We have been to this resort for a vacation and were so happy with it, so it was a no-brainer to get married here. We have 30 guests, including my finance's 9 and 10 year old children.

I agree with all the brides about being frustrated with WCs not replying and playing the waiting game. Finally my wedding is less than two months away and I'm getting responses in a reasonable amount of time. So yes, I totally agree you need answers from the resort to help you with other planning, but rest assured they will have more contact with you closer to the date.

A few questions for brides out there:

If anyone has been there recently, what theme is the night entertainment each night? Specifically I'd like to know Wednesday.

Anyone have any opinions on the Portofino restaurant for the dinner?

I am thinking of bringing material down to decorate the ceremony site at Akumal, any past brides do you have an estimate of how wide the wedding archway thing is at the beach location?

How flexible was the WC with the time of the ceremony? I've already emailed requesting an earlier ceremony (we are at 4:00 right now). Maria said she'd try to get an earlier timer but cannot promise. My issue is that I'd really like to do photos after the ceremony but my photographer is worried about losing light too soon. Our dinner is at 6, and maybe the timing is too tight to do photos in between a ceremony at 4 and a dinner at 6.

Thanks for all the helpful tips. Nice knowing other people are stressing about the same details I am!

Hi - I live in the UK but am actually a fellow Canadian.  we actually wanted a ceremony at 4pm (a bit later). I am not sure if you will be able to get an earlier one or not. However all I can say is if you don't I'm sure things will be OK. This is my 2nd marriage so let me offer you a bit of my thoughts.

My first marriage was at 630pm and I loved having it a bit later. All my friends thought I was crazy for doing it so late but our day was structured differently but worked so well. As a bride it is so lovely not to feel rushed and ease into the day - spending time with your friends, having a lazy breakfast, etc. 

If you are worried about daylight you could always meet your groom before you get married. It is a nice idea in a way as you can look to meet one another secretly somewhere and just take all your 1-1 photos together. A lot of people don't like it as it takes away from the surprise at the alter but I actually think its very intimate and special. We did this and then we did a special session with just our wedding party - so we all had seen each other before the actual nuptials. It was really great though and it still felt special when I walked down the aisle.

Finally the ceremony won't even probably take 30 minutes so you will have plenty of time to take pics after and before dinner. If you want to take photos at about 430/445 on the beach, develop a list of the pictures (rolling order) you must take at this time to get the daylight. Send this to the photographer so they are clear on what you want and when. Then as soon as the ceremony ends get one of your bridesmaids / groomsmen to assemble these people in order. The others can go off and have a drink/champagne - most will watch you as the photos are taken. Then once the photos are done - I would think this would be about 515/530 max you will head towards the restaurant for food. Or change the restaurant booking to 630pm if you want to allow a bit more time for sunset photos or something. Changing the restaurant booking shouldn't be an issue.

we are getting married in akumal on the beach. Our reception is going to be at the dolce vitta mainly because of the food choices.We are getting customised marracas for the ceremony so everyone is supposed to shake them at the end when we kiss and they will act as one of our favours. The material sounds lovely - I don't know dimensions though - sorry:(. We aren't really bringing much else to decorate for the ceremony but will bring a bunch of stuff to decorate the tables for the reception. 

Our WC is Eugenia - she has gotten in touch and seems quite nice. I used to work in events so I have quite high expectations. Now that we are a bit clearer on the legal stuff i feel a bit better. I'm quite confident about everything else really but more concerned about that than anything else.

Enjoy your wedding - hope my tidbits from my past have given you food for  thought if the wedding time has to stay as is.x

Originally Posted by CrystalandShawn View Post

I have been following this thread for a month now and am finally making a post :)

Getting married in 59 days at Akumal beach location, staying at Coba. March 20, 2013 is the day. We have been to this resort for a vacation and were so happy with it, so it was a no-brainer to get married here. We have 30 guests, including my finance's 9 and 10 year old children.

I agree with all the brides about being frustrated with WCs not replying and playing the waiting game. Finally my wedding is less than two months away and I'm getting responses in a reasonable amount of time. So yes, I totally agree you need answers from the resort to help you with other planning, but rest assured they will have more contact with you closer to the date.

A few questions for brides out there:

If anyone has been there recently, what theme is the night entertainment each night? Specifically I'd like to know Wednesday.

Anyone have any opinions on the Portofino restaurant for the dinner?

I am thinking of bringing material down to decorate the ceremony site at Akumal, any past brides do you have an estimate of how wide the wedding archway thing is at the beach location?

How flexible was the WC with the time of the ceremony? I've already emailed requesting an earlier ceremony (we are at 4:00 right now). Maria said she'd try to get an earlier timer but cannot promise. My issue is that I'd really like to do photos after the ceremony but my photographer is worried about losing light too soon. Our dinner is at 6, and maybe the timing is too tight to do photos in between a ceremony at 4 and a dinner at 6.

Thanks for all the helpful tips. Nice knowing other people are stressing about the same details I am!

Hi  Crystal!

Welcome! I am also in Vancouver, getting married at the Akumal Beach site and staying at the Coba!   

I can't really help with most your questions, but I am sure someone will be able to!

I am also going to bring material down.  I read on an earlier post that someone brought down 10 yards of fabric. That is what I am planning to do. 

Hopefully you get some answers! 

• VIP Member

10 yards won't be enough... unless you only wanted the top.  And then it might still not quite be enough.  I brought down 14 or 16 yards and it still didn't touch the ground.  So just something to think about.

Berg5080: thanks for your helpful tips about the pre-ceremony photos. My photographer is already trying to talk me into that too! I was just so set on not seeing him until I walk down the aisle. AndreaandAaron/TIseege: thanks for your help with the fabric. I would have had NO clue how much to bring. Lol. I've heard you can contact Felix to set up a la cartes... When we went two years ago, I emailed the resort and tried to make reservations but of course when we got there, they had no record of it. But... seeing as it is our wedding and we are bringing down a lot of people with us ($ for the resort), you'd think maybe we'd have a special in with booking additional a la cartes. Anyone had any luck with this or am I getting my hopes up? :)

Originally Posted by Tlseege View Post

10 yards won't be enough... unless you only wanted the top.  And then it might still not quite be enough.  I brought down 14 or 16 yards and it still didn't touch the ground.  So just something to think about.

Thanks for this too! After reading that so many people bring their own fabric I am wondering "should I be bringing fabric too?". We are getting married on the Akumal Beach and the photo appears to have a nice look & feel already. Is the fabric only needed if you want a particular look for the ceremony?

• VIP Member

Personally, as a photographer, 4pm is a great ceremony time.  But it really depends on what type of a photographer you have.  I'm pretty quick, so an hour and a half is more than enough time for me to get formals and portraits done.  Plus the lighting is better and it'll be cooler.  But it does depend what time of year you're getting married.  If sunset is at 6 or later, then it's great.

Ceremony 4-4:20pm

Champagne toast 4:20-4:30

Formals 4:30-5

Portraits with bridal party 5-5:30

Bride & Groom Portraits 5:30-6 (this allows for you to get away by yourselves for a little bit and also to have a grand entrance into your dinner).

• VIP Member
Originally Posted by berg5080 View Post

Thanks for this too! After reading that so many people bring their own fabric I am wondering "should I be bringing fabric too?". We are getting married on the Akumal Beach and the photo appears to have a nice look & feel already. Is the fabric only needed if you want a particular look for the ceremony?

Yup.  I personally didn't really like the look of the white fabric that comes standard.  I wanted a pop of color, so I brought fabric.  And, apparently people liked the look of that because now a lot of people do it!  LOL!

But, the setup is gorgeous even without it.  I photographed a wedding a year ago there without any fabric and it was beautiful.  The ocean crashing on the rocks just beyond the ceremony site make it a great backdrop :)