Gran Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum/Coba - POST HERE!

• VIP Member

I have never seen or heard of two poolside receptions being held at the same resort.  That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that I haven't seen it.  Have your travel agent call them and confirm your request for a poolside reception.  If they can't get ahold of your coordinator, call Paloma instead. 

Well, I've been in communication with DJ Bob, and mentioned to him that I don't have my dinner location and time confirmed yet. I told him I'm not sure if I will need him for 2 or 3 hours depending on what time my dinner is. He says I can just book him for the 2 hours for now (assuming it would be from 9-11pm), but we can add the extra hour if the dinner was earlier. He seems pretty flexible. 

I havent heard the greatest reviews about the resort DJ, which is why I decided to go with an outside DJ to make sure everyone has fun that night. I will probably need to hire an outside make up artist as well, but I've heard that some brides were able to get out of paying the vendor fees for them if they don't leave the room and don't use their facilities and eat their food. So we shall see what happens. Which hair/make up artist are you going with? I'm looking for one right now, and leaning toward Fernando. 

Ok, I guess I should get pushy about them confirming my pool side reception!

Hmm...I will have to do a bit more research re: DJ.  I have also heard that they don't always charge the outside vendor fee for hair/ makeup.  They also don't charge for flowers, as they are just dropping the flowers off.  I have booked MVP for hair/makeup.  They were awesome at emailing back (usually within minutes!).  Communicating what I want won't be an issue, as Melissa is American.   I am really excited for to do my hair and makeup!  She has great reviews as well. 

• VIP Member

Based on photographying other weddings... I recommend the makeup pros (they were amazing)

And DJ Bijan was far better than the resort DJ.  Don't get me wrong, I had the resort DJ at my wedding and he was just fine.  However after photographying Cheryl & Aaron's wedding where they had DJ Bijan, and Mariah & Joshua's wedding where they had the resort DJ... I HIGHLY recommend DJ Bijan!!!  He was amazing and the party was awesome!

Originally Posted by Tlseege View Post

Based on photographying other weddings... I recommend the makeup pros (they were amazing)

And DJ Bijan was far better than the resort DJ.  Don't get me wrong, I had the resort DJ at my wedding and he was just fine.  However after photographying Cheryl & Aaron's wedding where they had DJ Bijan, and Mariah & Joshua's wedding where they had the resort DJ... I HIGHLY recommend DJ Bijan!!!  He was amazing and the party was awesome!

Thanks for the advice!  Does the WC care if you choose to go with mostly outside vendors?  Do you think it affects the service they give you?

• VIP Member
Originally Posted by futuremrswarner View Post

Trisha, any ideas on the poolside reception... re: whether or not brides have been rejected from having a poolside reception because they don't have enough pools?

Honestly, a lot of brides don't use the BDW (crazy, right?!!?).  And as most of you know, when you sign up for a wedding you're presented with dinner options and it typically does not include the poolside reception.  So I'm not actually sure how many know that it's even available. 

It doesn't seem like it happens very often, or often enough for me to remember, to our BDW brides.  However, it's growing more and more popular as people are realizing how awesome it is (and it IS awesome)

And they have enough pools, but I don't know if they have enough equipment???

Originally Posted by AndreaandAaron View Post

Thanks for the advice!  Does the WC care if you choose to go with mostly outside vendors?  Do you think it affects the service they give you?

I doubt it would affect the service they provide for you.  They charge a vendor fee for a reason, so it's not like it's severly affecting them.  And it's YOUR wedding day.  Make sure it's exactly how you want it.

• VIP Member

That's a fair question that I don't know the answer to!  One of the questions you should ask almost all vendors though is if they run the operation by themselves, or if they send people to represent their company.  Many people get burned that way, so it's a good question to ask.