Gran Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum/Coba - POST HERE!

I was wondering if a lot of girls brought decorations down with them. Maria informed me they only have white decorations which is good, but I think I might bring some yellow down as well. I have bought some yellow toule, yellow sashes, yellow/white lotus flowers for the pool. My Fiance told me to stop buying stuff. But I want the yellow to be incorporated. Now i need to find a duffle bag for all of my stuff lol.

Hey ladies, 

I was wondering if anyone is bringing decorations down? I spoke to Maria and she told me they only have white. I have bought a few yellow decorations. Yellow toule, yellow sashes, yellow/ white lotus pool flowers. Now I need to buy a duffle bag to bring stuff down lol.

sorry to hear that Kristi11, don't worry everything will work out, some travel agents are useless. I contacted 10 travel agents when we were pricing and only 3 got back to us. 

Congrats Ktoby!

Contact a few travel agents in your area asking for pricing. I think BDW also has TA's that come highly recommended. Once we received pricing/avaibility we contacted the resort and advised them what days we planned to arrive and when we would like to have the wedding. Be aware that you have to be in mexico for 4 business days in order to be legally married. We didn't finalize our flights until we received an answer from the WC at the resort that the date/time we wanted was still available. We're arriving on Sunday May 6th and getting married Thursday May 10th @ 5:00pm. We had a lot of back and forth with the resort as our TA kept changing the dates that were available to fly out. The resort was good about getting back to us with the change of dates etc. 

We decided to not send out save the dates and just sent the invitations out in August as we only had a limited time to book (less than 90 days). We got engaged in April so pretty much everyone knew we were engaged and planning on doing a DW. We still have not decided if we're doing an AHR (i know.. get on it already!!) so we didn't include that in our invitations. We do plan on sending out brochures a couple of weeks before departure, so i think this will make up for the lack of save the dates.

Browse through the forums, there is sooooo much info on this sight that you will find useful.

Good luck and happy planning!

Originally Posted by ktoby View Post

Hello All! 

I am very newly engaged and we have decided to have our wedding at the Tulum resort for May 2012 but I don't know where to go from here!!!!

How did you book your wedding packages? Recommendations?  I can tell from the past posts not to book through Travel with Us or Flight Centre. But do I book through a travel agent and then the WC contacts us? So confused. 

I also have some concerns because I want to book our date and then let people know the date so they can book, but the packages on the Gran Bahia website have a minimum amount of people and so I don't know how to pick which package because I have no idea how many people. 

Also how soon are people sending out their invitations? We are planning to also have a mini reception back home, so I have no idea to word it so that they can choose to go to either Mexico or the reception here or both. Any hints?

I appreciate any information or tips anyone has!!!!!

Thanks!

Hey! Congrats!! Wowzers - not going to lie - you're cutting it pretty close for May...
Not too sure where you're from...
Generally what happens now...you decide on the dates... find a TA..they'll create the booking through the resort and once that's confirmed you'll be assigned your WC. You can then inform your guests on the dates etc.
Because you're going with Tulum..you'll probably have Jazmin. She's awesome!
From then...you start your decisions through Jazmin..Aka the wedding package..etc
If you have no clue how many people...start with the smallest one...you can always upgrade later.

Again..not sure where you're from so can't really advise on TA but for me...I booked through Romantic Planet (their link is at the bottom of my signature)

My wedding isn't till Nov..but I already have about 30 people booked..so the invites are just a formality..probably send them out this spring.
If you want to give guests the option...just mention right on the invite that as much as you'd love to have everyone present at the wedding..you're aware everyone's circumstances are different..and if they're unable to attend the wedding they're more than welcome to join in at your AHR (at home reception)
or something like that...

hope that helps!

Hello All! 

I am very newly engaged and we have decided to have our wedding at the Tulum resort for May 2012 but I don't know where to go from here!!!!

How did you book your wedding packages? Recommendations?  I can tell from the past posts not to book through Travel with Us or Flight Centre. But do I book through a travel agent and then the WC contacts us? So confused. 

I also have some concerns because I want to book our date and then let people know the date so they can book, but the packages on the Gran Bahia website have a minimum amount of people and so I don't know how to pick which package because I have no idea how many people. 

Also how soon are people sending out their invitations? We are planning to also have a mini reception back home, so I have no idea to word it so that they can choose to go to either Mexico or the reception here or both. Any hints?

Thanks!

• VIP Member

Hello All! 

Thanks!

Welcome ktoby!

I would HIGHLY suggest you get a BDW travel agent. They are amazing and they should be able to help you.

There really isn't a minimum amount of people.  For things like the poolside reception there is, but for the actual wedding there is not.  You can have six people and have a legal wedding (you and your fiance and your four witnesses). So just book the package that you'd like.  Or maybe ask if you can book the smallest package and upgrade at a later time.

For invitations, we sent out a Save the Date in September for our April wedding (we got engaged in August).  This allowed our guests a little bit of time to save.  Then we sent out our wedding invitations with all the details.  People who are having at home receptions typically put an additional invitation in with that.  I didn't have one, so I can't really comment on the proper wording, but if you do a search in the invitations portion of this forum you're sure to find some good ideas.

Originally Posted by Coba Bride 2012 View Post

I was wondering if a lot of girls brought decorations down with them. Maria informed me they only have white decorations which is good, but I think I might bring some yellow down as well. I have bought some yellow toule, yellow sashes, yellow/white lotus flowers for the pool. My Fiance told me to stop buying stuff. But I want the yellow to be incorporated. Now i need to find a duffle bag for all of my stuff lol.

I brought down a lot of decorations.  I brought down the blue fabric for the hammock site (which I must say I'm very excited to see everyone doing... makes me happy!  You should all see the sketch that I drew so that she'd know what I wanted, now all you have to do is bring a picture!  So much easier!).  Then I brought down colored table runners and votive candles.  The pool wasn't necessarily RIGHT by the dance floor (we had the dinner out there, so the buffet line blocked the pool) so I feel like floating decorations might not get as much notice as they should.  I'd save your money and instead get table centerpieces with yellow and bring down yellow ribbon for around your cake or something along those lines.

We did the same thing.... we simultaneously contacts our TA and the resort to figure out dates available, and didn't finalize with the TA until we heard back that the date, time and location of the wedding was available. The resort will send you a short form to fill out then with your travel information which you then should be able to get back to them quickly. It worked out well for me, but I was also planning a year in advance... (but now down to 3 months!!!)

We also did not do the save the dates and just went ahead and sent invites to get all the information to everyone and just gave them a long time to respond and get their travel in order if they were coming. One thing that was very helpful was to have your website set up with all the important information and put that on the invite. I know that most people referenced our website a lot and found it very helpful. I just used mywedding.com, bought a domain name, and then redirected so it was a short link on the invite.  As for the AHR, if we do one, we are going to send out separate invites and have just been telling people by email or word of mouth that its a possibility... (long story short my soon-to-be-MIL wants one but now her daughter is getting married in June as well, our wedding is in March).

Overall, the WC at the resorts are super nice and will work with you and answer all the questions they can, and this website, and specifically this forum is great! Check out the Official Thread as well for easy to find specifics!

Good Luck and Congratulations!

Originally Posted by AD2012 View Post

Congrats Ktoby!

Contact a few travel agents in your area asking for pricing. I think BDW also has TA's that come highly recommended. Once we received pricing/avaibility we contacted the resort and advised them what days we planned to arrive and when we would like to have the wedding. Be aware that you have to be in mexico for 4 business days in order to be legally married. We didn't finalize our flights until we received an answer from the WC at the resort that the date/time we wanted was still available. We're arriving on Sunday May 6th and getting married Thursday May 10th @ 5:00pm. We had a lot of back and forth with the resort as our TA kept changing the dates that were available to fly out. The resort was good about getting back to us with the change of dates etc. 

We decided to not send out save the dates and just sent the invitations out in August as we only had a limited time to book (less than 90 days). We got engaged in April so pretty much everyone knew we were engaged and planning on doing a DW. We still have not decided if we're doing an AHR (i know.. get on it already!!) so we didn't include that in our invitations. We do plan on sending out brochures a couple of weeks before departure, so i think this will make up for the lack of save the dates.

Browse through the forums, there is sooooo much info on this sight that you will find useful.

Good luck and happy planning!

After a previous post on here asking about seating charts I decided to go with it, especially since our confirmed number of guests is almost at 50!! But on that note, does anyone have any good ideas on how to do this in a cute, yet simple manner that will not take up a ton of room in the luggage? I was thinking about just making table cards that had the people at the table on it, but do you think that might be hard for everyone to wander around finding their table? (I know there won't be that many tables, but still...) Any good ideas that brides are using or have used in the past would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jill

OK... I finally had a chance to do up my review of our wedding.. I am not sure if I posted this in the right place, but here is the link I THINK this can be found at...

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/products/gran-bahia-principe-tulum-all-inclusive/reviews/5487

Let me know if you have any questions.. I will see if I can find a way to post some pictures.

Sorry for all the multiple posts but I got in planning mode this afternoon and came up with questions :)

Does anyone know if there are votive (or any other) type candles/lights on the tables in the Dolce Vita restaurant on the Akumal side? I found this really great post about decoration that travels easy from Martha Stewart and was contemplating which ones I could use easily... Pop Up Wedding Decorations

Also on that note... what exactly is included on the table as part of the package? I know that flowers are an additional $8 per table... but I don't know if I really want to spend money on flowers if the tables look OK as is.

Thanks!