Gran Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum/Coba - POST HERE!

We did the private cocktail party and it didnt cost that much. We decided to do 2 hours only from 7:30-9:30 just to save the $300 or so and figured the two hours would be enough since you can just go hang out at the bars or go to the hacienda afterwards. We also chose the cheapest drink option which was for the 2 hours a total of $8 per person(5$ for the first hour and $3 for the second). Then the DJ was $190/hr. The reason it costs more for the booze even though it's all inclusive is because you get a private bartender/bar. We ended up getting any type of booze we wanted. We had rum, tequila, margaritas, beer. Pretty much anything you asked for. Just make sure to tip the bartender. If you were to do the two hours and the cheap cocktails it would only be about $700 really. Foods not really necessary because you go there right from dinner and you can always grab food after from the snack bar if your hungry.

I definetly think the private cockatil party is worth it especially if you want to do the dances and speaches and all that. It's more private.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saucy Friend View Post

Hi Jemma! I'm from Canada (British Columbia)- you? I can tell you the price Eugenia quoted me:

A private cocktail after the dinner beside the pool or at the Coba room (with air conditioning) from 7:30 pm to 10:30 pm, as it is private it will have the following cost:
DJ 190USD + tax per hour and he may play only your music (bring it on IPOD or CD) or mix it with the one that he has or only play his music.
For drinks you have the following options:
National Bar:        
Beer, Rum, Vodka, Tequila, Cocktails, Gin, Whisky                       17US$/pers/hour
                                 extra hour: 12 US$/pers
International Bar:        
Beer, Tequila, Rum, Vodka Absolute, Whisky JW,
Chivas Regal, Cutty Sark, Cocktails, Gin Beefeater,
wine of the house, sparkling wine                                                     24 USD/pers/hour
               extra hour: 18 US$/pers

Special Cocktails:
Beer, Piña Colada Cocktail, Margarita Cocktail & Sparkling Wine         5 USD/per/hour
               extra hour: 3 US$/pers
CANAPES
Mixed Canapes 5 pieces                   8 USD/ person
Mixed Deluxe Canapes 10 pieces        10 USD/person

1) we are going all inclusive, so why should we pay extra for booze?

2) If the DJ is going to play off my iPod, why the heck is it $190 USD per hour!

This seems insane! I am trying to find out from her what the options are. I don't mind hanging out with everybody at the resort~~ I'm very social anyway, and think it would be hilarious to dance with random guests. I just want to have a first dance, the cheezy father/daughter, mother/son dances, etc... and I would like to have speeches where we can thank our guests for coming etc. I wonder if we do this at dinner? I wouldn't paying a bit extra, but this would be like $2500 extra, since we have 32 guests.

Can anyone share thoughts on what they have done? I am trying to look through the backlog of posts on here.... which are super helpful btw!

Saucy Friend...

thanks for posting of the prices for the cocktail party...i have been emailing and havent got an answer....if i read this right i am going to have about 20 ppl so what i am doing is going 20x8=160  for the drinks...and then 190x2=380 for the dj... i am right with these figures....

thanks very much... oh and how long before the wedding do i have to decide on this do u know....

Originally Posted by CanadianKim View Post

We had our dinner at the Dolce Vita. They are actually both in the same building beside eachother so they have the same view pretty much. They are both looking out towards the pool, which is where the poolside reception would be if you are having that. Hope this helps!

Hi There Canadian Kim....just need to ask you a few questions if you dont mind...how was your dinner at Dolce Vita?

What did you choose for your dinner options...

thanks jody

I have a couple of questions for everyone:

1) Are you using a veil?  I just bought a veil, but then I realized that I haven't seen many pics of brides wearing the veil.  I'm trying to figure out how to get my hair fixed, so I'm looking for pictures of other brides. 

2) Also I'm looking for a flower girl dress.  Any suggestions on where I can buy that or pictures of others who had a flower girl? 

Jody - The drink prices are per hour.  So if you are having a 2 hour cocktail party, it would be 20x8x2=320 + DJ 190x2.5=475 because I think the DJ charges $190 for 45 minutes. So your total cost for 20 people 2 hours would be 795.  It still sounds like a good price to me!

Saucy Friend - I read on this forum that someone went to the Lobby bar after their dinner.  The band even announced them and they had their first dance.  As far as the DJ, I think they bring better equipment and speakers.  They are just giving you the option of using their music or if you have specific songs in mind, they would need a copy of those specific songs.  I heard it's very windy outside, so the speakers have to be good to be heard over the wind.  Bringing your ipod and a dock probably wouldn't be strong enough.

Hey There,

I got married Dec 2010 at Akumal beach and had a poolside reception at the Coba.  We had the most amazing day! But it was expensive!!! They make it seem like you buy a wedding package and you have most things included...that is NOT the case!  We purchased the most expensive package thinking it included quite a few things like my hairdo, the food, the alcohol etc but only the trial was included not the actual wedding day hairdo (don't get me started how scary 80's my hair was after the trial, omg! I cried! My cousin did my hair), the food was only included if you picked a restaurant (but they take away one of your 3 a la carte reservations for you and all of your guests), if you'd like to have a reception after you need to pay for alcohol per person and a DJ for sound equipment (we brought a bunch of detailed CD's and they kept scewing up the music)...

We decided to go all out in the end! We had amazing flowers everywhere, we hired the mexican trio band, the mariachi band, the DJ etc! I'm hoping to post a review here soon :)

One thing you all should know is that we are having a hell of a time getting our marriage certificate from Mexico!  I recommend getting your marriage license in Canada and do a vow renewal in Mexico.  It costs about $150 in Canada and it's about $600 in Mexico ($200 for getting your blood taken and about $400 for judge fees and translation fees).

Originally Posted by klc30 View Post

Hey There,

I got married Dec 2010 at Akumal beach and had a poolside reception at the Coba.  We had the most amazing day! But it was expensive!!! They make it seem like you buy a wedding package and you have most things included...that is NOT the case!  We purchased the most expensive package thinking it included quite a few things like my hairdo, the food, the alcohol etc but only the trial was included not the actual wedding day hairdo (don't get me started how scary 80's my hair was after the trial, omg! I cried! My cousin did my hair), the food was only included if you picked a restaurant (but they take away one of your 3 a la carte reservations for you and all of your guests), if you'd like to have a reception after you need to pay for alcohol per person and a DJ for sound equipment (we brought a bunch of detailed CD's and they kept scewing up the music)...

We decided to go all out in the end! We had amazing flowers everywhere, we hired the mexican trio band, the mariachi band, the DJ etc! I'm hoping to post a review here soon :)

One thing you all should know is that we are having a hell of a time getting our marriage certificate from Mexico!  I recommend getting your marriage license in Canada and do a vow renewal in Mexico.  It costs about $150 in Canada and it's about $600 in Mexico ($200 for getting your blood taken and about $400 for judge fees and translation fees).

kcl30...i have book the unforgettable pkg and i mentions that the fees for the judge and that are included...that isnt the case? i know the blood tests are not inclued at 90 per person.....

Hi cdillad!

I'm using a veil as I was cornered into one by my mother, but once I tried it on it was like magic!  I love the idea of my veil floating in the sea-breeze (as cheesy as that sounds)! 

As for a flowergirl dress, we found ours on-line at Davids Bridal, it's very cute and they offer different price points.

Originally Posted by cdlillad View Post

I have a couple of questions for everyone:

1) Are you using a veil?  I just bought a veil, but then I realized that I haven't seen many pics of brides wearing the veil.  I'm trying to figure out how to get my hair fixed, so I'm looking for pictures of other brides. 

2) Also I'm looking for a flower girl dress.  Any suggestions on where I can buy that or pictures of others who had a flower girl? 

Jody - The drink prices are per hour.  So if you are having a 2 hour cocktail party, it would be 20x8x2=320 + DJ 190x2.5=475 because I think the DJ charges $190 for 45 minutes. So your total cost for 20 people 2 hours would be 795.  It still sounds like a good price to me!

Saucy Friend - I read on this forum that someone went to the Lobby bar after their dinner.  The band even announced them and they had their first dance.  As far as the DJ, I think they bring better equipment and speakers.  They are just giving you the option of using their music or if you have specific songs in mind, they would need a copy of those specific songs.  I heard it's very windy outside, so the speakers have to be good to be heard over the wind.  Bringing your ipod and a dock probably wouldn't be strong enough.