Gran Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum/Coba - POST HERE!

I've asked my wedding coordinator to sent me some pics of previous poolside receptions so I can figure out where the lanterns will go and how many I will need.

Thao.....I can't wait to see your wedding pics! Take some pictures of the poolside reception for us ladies still in the planning stages. You must be having the time of your life right now!! I'll wait to  order them until after you get back so I know how many I need and how it worked out. 

Congrats to all the brides that are at the resort now!  Please post some reviews when you get back. So happy for you all. I don't know about anyone else but I'm not going to be able to contain my excitement as soon as January 1, 2011 comes! The countdown will begin after that.  Now I just need to get my butt into shape and exercise consistently. haha

Is anyone doing a symbolic ceremony???

Hi I have just read your thread about template for guests etc. We are getting married 15.4.11 !!!! We have paid for a wedding package which covers a meal etc but we would like A party afterwards, we don't have any idea on prices for extra hire of a cocktail bar which we would like, maybe with entertainment? Does anyone have anymore info? THANKYOU! XXthewave.gif

I believe they test for HIV and syphilis, strange I know, but the Mexican government wont let you get married if you are positive for either of these. You have to get the blood tests there by their doctor. This is only if you are getting the legal marriage. We opted for the symbolic so that we can by pass this, and also because we are only arriving 2 days before our wedding date. you need to be there 4 days prior for blood test to do the legal ceremony.

We're doing the legal ceremony and really it doesnt seem too complicated. We had to fill out a marriage application which was just information of yourself, parents, witnesses etc. Pretty simple basic information. Then you have to get blood tests done there, which they do at the resort(ours anyways not sure if they do it at all but I would assume so). You pay abuy $90US for these each. And yes you have to be there four days prior. We arrive on Sunday and our wedding is on Thursday. We meet with the coordinator on the Monday and go over all the details and get our blood tests done. You also need two witnesses each for the bride and groom.

I see that alot of people just do the symbolic...I had thought about this but we figured it just wouldnt be the same feeling and I feel like its not really THAT much work to do all the legal work so we just decided to go with the legal ceremony.

We are getting married in just under two weeks! (November 18th). So I can post when I get back and let you know how smoothly it went(hopefully)!

Hope this helps!

• VIP Member

The legal ceremony is actually extremely easy if you've never been married before (and don't have HIV I guess). 
I was really nervous about the blood draw because I have rolling veins and it's pretty much a nightmare every time (and I am fine with needles).  But I can honestly say that their nurse was AWESOME.  She used a baby needle and got it on the first try.  Quite impressive. 

Bahia Principe Poolside Wedding Reception.jpg

Here is a picture of my poolside reception.  There are lights wrapped around the umbrella thingies and the you can see rope going inbetween them (look upper right corner).  I assume that's where they'd hang the lanterns.

Another bit of advice, if you're doing a poolside, DO NOT waste your time, money, or luggage weight allowance on bringing candles.  They never stayed lit and was really just a waste.

One thing that we LOVED that we did though was glow ice cubes.  It was awesome.  This is a pretty bad picture of it but you get the idea :)

Gran Bahia Principe Poolside Reception.jpg

Hi Ladies,

I haven't been on this site in ages and i feel like i've missed out on alot of info. Our wedding day is 3 months away! We're getting married at the hammocks and dinner is at Gran Tortuga. But I'm still deciding on whether to have a poolside reception or not. We have 36 people booked to go. I guess what comes down to it is ..... Is the reception really worth the extra 1200-1500$. Its a tough decision. Pros or Cons?

What about your honeymoon? Anyone staying a extra week for your honeymoon or heading to a different resort? What resort did you pick for your honeymoon. We're staying an extra week but haven't picked a place yet.