Gran Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum/Coba - POST HERE!

i was just wondering what did everyone do for the bridal party at dinner. i just heard from jazmin that the face only table only holds 4 and there is only one of them. did you all just use regular 7 to a table for the head table or did you 4 at the head table??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson30 View Post
i was just wondering what did everyone do for the bridal party at dinner. i just heard from jazmin that the face only table only holds 4 and there is only one of them. did you all just use regular 7 to a table for the head table or did you 4 at the head table??
Hi there,
I'm planning on just using a regular table, centred more in the middle of all the other guest tables and I will be having 8 at our head table if that helps you. If you go back throughout the thread I think you'll see some picutres of how it looks on someones review. I just can't remember who's.

a quick question for the ladies who have been to the GBP and have had a chance to check out the whole resort, which of the three sections would you most highly recommend Tulum, Coba, or Akumel... We're in the process of trying to decide between this resort and the Barcelo Palace/Colonial, and we're stumped!!!

Is there any benefits to choosing one section over the other, I'm kind of hoping to be able to go someplace where our guests have access to all ala cartes, and all buffets, do the staff really pay attention to the wrist bands at the GBP, or do they let things slide??

Bah I'm finding myself getting more and more stressed by trying to pick the PERFECT resort!

Hi Kevnanna,

We liked Akumal the best and are going back to that section in May to be married. I know alot of people like Coba because its the newest but its farther from the water. Tulum is also close to the water but is the oldest of the three. They are all beautiful. I think it depends on if water view is important to you. As for the wristbands, I dont think they care when its not their busy season. We went in April and ate in all three sections and I was told this time would be the same.

Good luck making your decision =)

Thanks Julie, we're hoping to be able to book everything for MAy also!!! It's just sooo hard to find the resort that you know will please everyone, my dad is actually pushing for the Akumel, he went 2 years ago for christmas and LOVED the GBP!

Our preference was the Coba but we chose that for 1) price and 2) they have jr suites. The other 2 hotels have just plain hotel rooms. WHen you're getting ready for your wedding, you need alot of room to spread out all your crap!I had 5 girls in my room and we didn't feel cramped at all. Having the separate "living room" with a table was nice. That's where I set up the makeup station :)

As for the bands, I'd agree. No one notices them except other bridal parties. The only thing you're NOT supposed to be allowed to do is go into the Royal Golden lobby if your wristbands aren't gold. You and your hubby will get the gold ones. Rest of your group won't. As for meals, they honestly didn't give a crap where you stayed vs where you ate. We went twice this year and ate in Tulum, Akumal and the Coba equally. No problems or concerns at all.

You know what's funny? It took hubby and I THREE days to notice that our wrist bands were a different color than the rest of our group! We never did end up checking out the Royal Golden section since we were always dining and hanging out with our friends and family.

We chose Coba for the same reasons as HereFishie. It was a good couple of hundred dollars cheaper and we like the newer, bigger rooms. We didn't mind at all being closer to the pool than the beach and we could eat at any of the three resorts (although they prefer you to eat only at your own resort's buffet...)

• VIP Member

I actually have been to GBP and Barcelo, so I might be able to add a little insight...

I stayed in a Junior Suite on the Akumal side. LOVED IT!!! Plenty of room. Gorgeous view.

Barcelo, stayed in a suite on the Palace side. WAY prettier room...

Grounds: GBP... amazing. SO many pools, spread out so it doesn't seem crowded.

Barcelo... didn't like as much. Beautiful, but compact with four resorts and it seemed very crowded and that was in Feb which is not a peak month

Food... HANDS DOWN GBP. I was not a huge fan of the Barcelo food. There are definitely a lot of choices so you're bound to find something you like, but I liked GBP's selection way better.

Now, which resort... I'd say Akumal or Coba. They are newer. coba is not on the water though, and I like an ocean view, which is why we went Akumal.

It also depends on where you want to get married. If you want the gazebo, you'll have to stay at Tulum or coba.

If you want the beach hammock location, you'll have to stay at Akumal or coba.

Hope that helps!