Sign in to follow this  
Nrvsbride

Budget Timing

Not sure if this relates to anyone, but when we started talking about planning, we were going to open another checking account for our "wedding money".. then we thought, duh, if I use my Hilton Honors credit card for everything, we're actually gaining points towards stays at a hotel in the future. My credit card is paid off in full and rather than having that money sitting in a low interest bearing account, we're going to keep it one of our ING accounts (4.5% interest) until I need to transfer to pay off the card bill.

I use my budget spread sheet to track all purchases (big and small) and will save all credit card invoices into a folder so nothing is missed. I want to know how much this bad boy is costin' us! :)

Glenda - I think it may be too early to buy too many things - keep your options open! The only ting is that you may change the ideas of what you want in the next year and a half!

I know that in just the six months I've been planning I've changed my mind on what centerpeices i want about a million times! But for non-negotiable items go ahead and buy them up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrvsbride View Post
Thank you ladies for all the advice. I actually have no intention of taking out a loan. If I don't have it I am not spending it. I actually have a few credit cards that have 0% interest for a year and a half so if I have to make a large purchase I will do it with that and then just pay it off when I save it. My father was very generous and gave us $20,000 but I refuse to use it towards the wedding. I have it in CD's so that I will not touch it. I plan to use that to put it towards a down payment for something. I am already saving and putting it in a savings account, but I get scared that I won't have enough when it comes down to the actual day. I guess I will save up for the big items and then cut down on the little stuff as I see necessary.

-Glenda

I refussed to use my dad's money on the wedding.. (we're so alike hehehe)
but now I think we're really going to need it.. he's giving us 12K, 1K for every month since we started talking about getting married..

I bought that wedding planning kit from exclusive weddings that has that nice tote lol lol..anywho it had a budget thing in it…which is nice tool…it lays out everything you need in sections e.g. flowers (within in flowers bouquet, BM flowers, centerpieces), ceremony, reception, music, attire, etc. Then it has a column that says estimated and actual. So I estimated what I wanted to spend from each section and I use that as my budget. I will say I saved on my dress b.c I budgeted 1500 and did not spend half of that but then I used that to add a harpist for the ceremony and do a photo tour. I would not buy it (unless you are like me and like wasting money on wedding stuff) b.c. it does not have a lot of stuff a DW needs and some stuff is not relevant for DW.....you can create that in excel or something. Just make sure you include everything when budgeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10CALGAL View Post
Ladies,

If you are having trouble figuring out your income vs. expenses on a monthly basis, check out this worksheet...it's pretty simple & can help you figure out what you can realistically save.Attachment 373
Christa thanks this is super helpfull!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryjaxs19 View Post
Christa thanks this is super helpfull!
Oh good Jackie! I'm glad my anal-ness can help someone. It's so simple, but it really helps you see exactly how much disposable income you have after paying all of the necessities - kinda guilts you into saving something every month

Well we are on a VERY tight budget, and poor Cain is working a ton of OT to pay for the wedding. I also refuse to go into debt over a wedding, I won't lie, it's hard at times paying for your normal monthly bills, and trying to actually pay off bills at the same time that your trying to pay for a wedding. BUT writing down all your expenses really does help, I had no idea where our money went until we did this. I sat back one day and say "no way do I spend 400.00 a month eating out.. But it was true, so I cut WAY back...

My fiancé & I have set aside money for the wedding & we are continuing to add money every month to the wedding fund. We want to buy a house after so we have a house fund too.