Photo

Question: Using Cash, Credit, or Traveler Checks in Jamaica?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 DLyteful

DLyteful
  • 879 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:17 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaliaA07
    We also paid Chandlyn with credit card and sadly photoshop b/c we didn't know ahead of time about the 5% charge. We did take cash for tips. One note on the craft markets. My mom (not the most money savvy) didn't get the lecture on bargaining or saying no and when we went through there at Dunn's river she got away from us and got talked into 100 dollars worth of stuff! Not worth it. Anyways she said she didn't have cash and he said it was fine he took CC. He was gonna meet our guy that we bought stuff from at the Riu front gate. However I did not feel safe giving her CC info to him so we paid cash for her things. So they DO take CC I just don't think I would do that. On a side not we ended up paying 50 bucks for these wooden things with our names engraved b/c we said we didn't have cash with us. Then we got to our bus and another couple got the same things and they paid 2 dollars b/c thats the only cash they had and he took it! So just say all you have is 5 bucks and they'll take that and you won't pay 50 bucks for something! GRRR!
    WOW! $50 to $2 is a BIG difference. Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to offer low if I want something.

#12 cantwaittobemrs

cantwaittobemrs
    • 148 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:47 AM

It is so helpful to know we can use the CC for excursions! Thanks girls!

#13 ochoriobride

ochoriobride
      • 489 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

We paid by credit card but we forgot to call the bank before we left to tell them we would be in another country so they block the CC as soon we paid the wedding. So don't forget to call!
        http://tickers.Ticke....ed78/event.png

Justin & NathalieApril 22nd 2008Riu Ocho Rios

#14 MarchBride

MarchBride
        • 101 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

DLyteful,

I'm a Jamaican now living in Canada, and I make the trip home at least once a year so here's my two cents.

Stick with the CC and cash. So far everyone's advice is good re: taking lots of singles. At the airport it should never cost more than $5 to tip baggage handlers. Before you leave the airport, get yourself some J$, it will always save you money in the end. The Bureau de Change is located in the Departure Lounge, Immigration Hall and Ground Transportation Hall. Their tel876) 979-2673. It's also best to carry J$ to the craft markets and tourist attractions, and keep it separate from your US$. If you feel like venturing outside the hotels to exchange money, the best place to go is Grace Kennedy Remittance/FX Trader. They usually have the best deal. If you go to the Bank, Jamaica National offers one of the best rates. Otherwise, if you use US$, just have an idea of the exchange rate in the back of your mind as reference.

If you've got anything else you want to know, just ask. I'd be more than happy to give you info.

Jamie.

#15 DLyteful

DLyteful
          • 879 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:40 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by MarchBride
            DLyteful,

I'm a Jamaican now living in Canada, and I make the trip home at least once a year so here's my two cents.

Stick with the CC and cash. So far everyone's advice is good re: taking lots of singles. At the airport it should never cost more than $5 to tip baggage handlers. Before you leave the airport, get yourself some J$, it will always save you money in the end. The Bureau de Change is located in the Departure Lounge, Immigration Hall and Ground Transportation Hall. Their tel876) 979-2673. It's also best to carry J$ to the craft markets and tourist attractions, and keep it separate from your US$. If you feel like venturing outside the hotels to exchange money, the best place to go is Grace Kennedy Remittance/FX Trader. They usually have the best deal. If you go to the Bank, Jamaica National offers one of the best rates. Otherwise, if you use US$, just have an idea of the exchange rate in the back of your mind as reference.

If you've got anything else you want to know, just ask. I'd be more than happy to give you info.

Jamie.
            Thanks so much for the info Jamaie! This helps alot. We will be sure to exchange a portion of our money. I leave soon, but I'm sure I'll come up with some questions for you. Thanks agaain!
            Davina

#16 Jenn

Jenn
            • 1,557 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:35 PM

Totally agree with Jamie said about getting some J$. We were in Jamaica for 3 weeks and learned very quickly that you get a much better price in J$. CC are great for paying at the resorts and for excursions, but do remember to call your CC company before leaving.

Also, although I don't think you need to bring a large amount in traveller's checks, and they can be a pain in the butt, I always bring a small amount of money that way when I travel. We usually disburse them in our luggage, bags, etc so that g-d forbid we were robbed and lost all our cash/credit cards, we have a small backup. We had no intention of having to use them, but I think we brought $150 in traveller's checks - $50 denominations.

#17 negative

negative
              • 22 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:56 PM

I second that... for sure always take some Jamaican dollars with you (although they will look down on it)... but no one turns down money anyways.

#18 Karen

Karen
                • 1,308 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:43 PM

One of my guide books said that he ATM's in Jamaica aren't dependable. I was hoping to get Jamaican $ this way as it's usually the safest way to get money at the best exchange rate. Does anyone know what he deal is with ATM's in Jamaica? We are going to Ocho Rios.
                  <center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...nancyticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=Baby Lambert is on the way&b=7&c=0xCC00CC&f=5&y=2010&m=4&d=14" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="430" height="115" name="Pregnancy Ticker" align="middle"...

#19 Jenn

Jenn
                  • 1,557 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:05 PM

We used an ATM in Negril, but I have no idea what exchange rate I got. Also, we got hit with a nice fee from our bank for using it... not sure I would do it again. We actually got a decent exchange rate at the hotel's cashier (Sunset at the Palms)... and we had a driver who took us to a bank that gave a good exchange.

#20 ~*petals*~

~*petals*~
                    • 1,572 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by lucky k72
                      One of my guide books said that he ATM's in Jamaica aren't dependable. I was hoping to get Jamaican $ this way as it's usually the safest way to get money at the best exchange rate. Does anyone know what he deal is with ATM's in Jamaica? We are going to Ocho Rios.
                      I've used the ScotiaBank ATMs in Jamaica and had no problems besides the "foreign transaction fee" from my card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users