Photo

How do you let people know where you've registered?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Celina

Celina
  • Banned
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:17 PM

Okay - since we all agree that it's rude to flat out ask for money - this is what we've decided to do.

I work with a guy who owns a tile and granite business. They specialize in tilework and granite countertops, kitchen remodels, etc.

We are going to have them come over and give us an estimate to tile our kitchen, laundry, powder bath, two bathrooms and possible granite countertops.

They are going to start a registry account for us. So people can donate to our fund there instead of getting us the crystal vases, etc. Our hope is to have them complete the work while we are out getting married. When we get back, viola!~ new kitchen and bathrooms!

SO - my question is - how do I let people know about this? Is it tacky to put a card that says we are registered there? How do we do this in a not-so-tacky way?
    "Love is not who you live with...it's who you can't live without"

#2 Kat81

Kat81
    • VIP Member
    • 7,615 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

I have recieved invites with registry info in them. I don't think it's rude. But I didn't do it. I have a lot of older people I sent invites to and I know it was considered very rude to do. I don't know how to let people know other than word of mouth or mention it on your wedding website if you have one. I know my mom's aunt asked where I was registered and told all of that side of the family. And a few friends found the info on the website.

#3 Alyssa

Alyssa
      • 11,793 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:24 PM

you should leave it up to your mom's to tell people or whoever is having a shower for you.

also, you can put it on your website

#4 Celina

Celina
        • Banned
        • 2,811 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Alyssa
          you should leave it up to your mom's to tell people or whoever is having a shower for you.

also, you can put it on your website
          Great advice Alyssa - it will give those women something to do! Plus - they can explain the practicality in it all and it eliminates us having to explain the obvious!

#5 Yvette

Yvette
          • 510 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:29 PM

i just went to a wedding where the couple were in dyer need of a new fridge and asked for sears giftcards. in the shower invite there was a pick of the fridge they wanted to buy & asked for help getting it.

i think you can have just about anything for a registry, we are putting our trip up instead of gifts.

#6 Celina

Celina
            • Banned
            • 2,811 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Kat81
              I have recieved invites with registry info in them. I don't think it's rude. But I didn't do it. I have a lot of older people I sent invites to and I know it was considered very rude to do. I don't know how to let people know other than word of mouth or mention it on your wedding website if you have one. I know my mom's aunt asked where I was registered and told all of that side of the family. And a few friends found the info on the website.
              I know - I didn't want to add a little card to the invites either. The last time we went down that road it turned into an origami dove discussion and I don't want to go there again! LOL!

#7 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 24,768 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:46 PM

typically this is put in the shower invites, or just by word of mouth - often by the people throwing your shower. i think it's considered rude to put it in the wedding invite. (not that i'd care, but the Emily Post type people do!) lol

#8 jajajaja

jajajaja
                • VIP Member
                • 9,794 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:46 PM

We put it on our website. We didn't really want presents though. I felt bad that the people we didn't invite would buy us gifts or the people that went and spent a ton of money would buy us a gift.

We haven't gotten many presents subsequently so that's good with me.
                  Happily married since 2008

#9 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 24,768 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

same thing here, Rachel - we weren't going to register at all, or have a shower. but my in-laws insisted, and then we were told we should register so people knew what to give us! so we did. ugh. but not everyone got us a gift, thank goodness!

#10 Kat81

Kat81
                    • VIP Member
                    • 7,615 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

I didn't want to register either but my Mom made me because her side of the family kept asking where I was registered. So, I did a poor attempt at it at Macy's and Walmart. My registry sucks lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users