Photo

FI is building a deck!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dez921714

Dez921714
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:19 PM

Our back yard is 40x25'. When we bought the house it already had a 14x25' deck right off of the house. We've been talking about extending the deck for the rest (or most) of the yard to help cut back on the amount of mud the dogs track in. We contacted HomeDepot to build the deck...after a few weeks of playing phone tag with them I get someone on the phone and after about 10 minutes (and getting my zip code three times) they tell me that they don't do decks in NYC. Upsetting since we were banking on being able to use the HD card and no interest for 12 months.

FI is super handy, but lazy...we know this, we accept this :)

FI's partner at work has built decks before and told him it would only take a weekend and he is going to help him!

The good news is that since we are saving on labor, we can get the trecks instead of regular wood and we can still use the HD card for the supplies!!!

I'm very excited! FI has to dig a drywell and is goign to start this weekend. While he does that I am going to replace the crummy metal slats in the chain link fence with the plastic, pretty kind.

I'm just excited and wanted to share :)
    http://ticker.7910.o....25vdCBpbiA.gif27 Confirmed with Plane Tickets...5 with rooms booked!

150 INVITES / 6 YES / 13 NO

#2 jajajaja

jajajaja
    • VIP Member
    • 9,794 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:22 PM

Cool. Decks can be built in a weekend- I've seen my dad do it. Of course, I was used as errand girl- you know, run to the store and get me a beer, etc.
      Happily married since 2008

#3 JennyK

JennyK
      • 3,502 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:24 PM

LUCKY! Send your FI to my house hehehe I want a patio so bad and my FI wants to do it on his own too..

#4 Dez921714

Dez921714
        • 1,489 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:25 PM

I have a feeling that will be my job also...get the beer, order the pizza and maybe make some kind of COLD treat for them
          http://ticker.7910.o....25vdCBpbiA.gif27 Confirmed with Plane Tickets...5 with rooms booked!

#5 JennyK

JennyK
          • 3,502 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:25 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by deznchris2006
            I have a feeling that will be my job also...get the beer, order the pizza and maybe make some kind of COLD treat for them
            thats easy..the only sweat you have to break is opening up his can of beer

#6 Dez921714

Dez921714
            • 1,489 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:30 PM

Jenny, wanna switch? My FI doesn't want to build it, but we don't have the money to pay someone outright to do it...so he's doing it because he has to. At least your's WANTS to do it LOL

I don't care how grumpy FI is about it, I'm excited that I'll get to use the other 2/3 of my yard :)

But I know how proud he'll be when it's done (as long as the monsters we call dogs don't destroy it)

#7 stacey

stacey

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 4,853 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:30 PM

hmmmmm, not to be negative but, best of luck with that. When ever my FI starts talking about home projects I cant help but to cringe.
                Stacey & Ely 10.14.2008

#8 twinkletoes

twinkletoes
                • 2,302 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

Sounds interesting. Let me us know how it turns out. I would love to see pics (so dont forget your camera, lol). My FI has been talking about doing the same thing, but I'm not sure how hard it would be!
                  2 Hearts, 1 Love 08.08.08Punta Cana, D.R.

#9 JennyK

JennyK
                  • 3,502 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by deznchris2006
                    Jenny, wanna switch? My FI doesn't want to build it, but we don't have the money to pay someone outright to do it...so he's doing it because he has to. At least your's WANTS to do it LOL

I don't care how grumpy FI is about it, I'm excited that I'll get to use the other 2/3 of my yard :)

But I know how proud he'll be when it's done (as long as the monsters we call dogs don't destroy it)
                    Yea they always get a sense of accomplishment.. they're the man of the house.. they're building their domain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users