Anyone else stressing about increasing airfare prices?

Maura,

I agree with you, with less than 90 days left, if they haven't booked it than it's their own damn fault if they can't afford it and NOT something you should be stressing about!

I think it might be more of a concern for those of us with weddings in Nov or later (not to say others with weddings before Nov. arent' concerned).

For me, our wedding is in mid Jan....still over 8 months away. Many of our guests feel they have pleanty of time. I keep urging my parents and my sister to book their air. Even though I know they'll be there no matter what the cost, I don't want to see them get screwed over. And we have a couple of friends who really want to be there and we really want them to be there but they don't know if they can pull it off financially, so they have to wait until closer...it's those guests that I'm mostly concerned about with the airfair. That and I want everyone to get the best prices possible :)

So far only FI and I have booked...I know we're the only two that count, but it would be nice if some others could join us :)

ive gotten so many comments from guests also about how thorough my website is --- the reason why i made it so thorough is because i dont have the kind of day to day schedule that i can hand-hold with all those invited to try to get them to do stuff. my day job is stressful enough, i dont need to get more stressed out from trying to get my guests to get their shit together and book things on time. our very best friends and family members booked everything right away when they found out, so at this point, anyone else who RSVPs yes and shows up is a bonus. i made my website as detailed as possible because i didnt want my guests calling me with idiotic questions, and you know what? i think in the 6 months ive been engaged, i have only had one family member call me with a question that wasnt addressed on my website. afterwards, i put the answer up on the site. i have not had a single other question since!

I do feel for you girls that have wedding dates so far out that airfare isn't even available to price out. I remember when we started planning a year in advance, I was so antsy to get prices to determine the affordability. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all!

I know how all you feel! I sent a ton of text messages and mass emailsto my friends and family when I found great deals. I bought our direct flight for $350 and my one friend bought her 1-stop flight for $280. Now the flights are $450 and up! My mother didn't even listen to me and she is a flight attendant. Whatever!!!!!!!! I tried:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
i am gonna be the oddball out here and tell you all that i dont give a flying censored.gif about the rising airfare prices. we warned our guests well in advance that they needed to at least book their airfare ASAP if they knew they were coming, because prices were going to go up significantly. a few weeks ago, we also updated our website urging anyone who hasnt booked their flight to do so right away. most everyone who is coming has a flight booked already, so i really must say that anyone else who hasnt booked theirs yet and finds out they cant afford to come because they waited too long.... i just dont care. why should i worry about it? those who really truly cared about being there booked their shit early. why spend my time and energy stressing about who wont make it because they were too lazy to book their airfare back when it was affordable. IMHO, i just have too many other things to dedicate my time and energy to than worrying about the airfare prices at this point. we are less than 90 days away from the wedding and i am ok with the amount of guests who i know have already booked versus the ones i know still havent gotten airfare.

Maura,

In a way I want to agree with you and feel that if people don't book their travel soon and end up paying more in the end it's their own fault. I know I shouldn't worry too much about it but I really can't help it. I know that some of my friends that are waiting for lower prices do truly want to be there and they are hurting a little for money so they are actually hoping to save money since they think discounts will happen at the end of summer. If they were just simply procrastinating I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I know the main reason they are waiting is to be able to save some money because they think discounts will happen....which I doubt they will with the way prices are going. Other people in my group are waiting so they can have more money saved so I worry that by the time they have saved enough money the prices are really high.

I'm sure most of us brides have become really familiar with current travel cost becuase we see it with our own wedding planning. Other people that don't deal with travel as much, may not realize how fast travel prices are going up.

When it comes down to it I do put it in persepective and realize that as long as my FI and I are there celebrating our new life together that it really doesn't matter who is able to go or not.....but I would really really want my close friends to be able to make it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicaswave View Post
When it comes down to it I do put it in persepective and realize that as long as my FI and I are there celebrating our new life together that it really doesn't matter who is able to go or not.....but I would really really want my close friends to be able to make it too.
While the big picture is really about you and your FI, it certainly is acceptable to want your loved ones to share in the joy. I know it was VERY important for me. If early on, my family told me they weren't going to go, I'm not sure I would have been able to do a DW. DH's family told us early on they weren't going to go, but I left that up to him. I wanted them there but to me, it wasn't as important as my own mom and dad. I know that sounds terrible, but I thought it was better for him to decide if it was a deal breaker for him. They ended up going in the end though so yay!

We had a LOT less people there than if we were married at home. It was definitely a sacrifice we were willing to make.

all of my guests have booked their flights but my mom and dad. my mom can't book until July due to her work. she works for the school system and they have some bs policies about vacation time, and she can't put in for her's until July and find out than if she can't get those days off. Unfortunately she can't even just take off without pay by calling out the two days she needs because they will just fire you there. it's totally ridiculous but whatev. i'm worried that it will be up in july but i also know they will be there even if it does go up.

if your friends are just waiting to book because they are assuming prices will go down, than i wouldn't worry about them at all. that's on them. you can only do so much for your guests. if you warned them, you've done your part. don't stress yourself out.

i feel bad for you girls that are getting married in 2009 and waiting for prices to come out. that would definately drive me crazy. i'm crossing my fingers that prices do go down for ya girls.

I'm really not stressed about it because there is nothing I can do. If I start stressing about stuff, other things start to go wrong.

Our wedding isn't until March and our tickets are paid for through points on his visa so I don't even know how much they were. But I still have to buy tickets for my 2 kids. Everybody know's the prices are going up and the longer they wait the worse off it's going to be. The less people that show the less money I have to pay in the end.