Photo

Mexican wedding tradition question

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 TammyB

TammyB
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:43 PM

20 minutes... oh no,, that's out then.. I don't want our ceremony to be an hour long.. Kind of takes away from the point of having a DW, IMO at least. She (MIL) will just have to deal with it, and when we get back to the states we'll have our marriage blessed.

Thanks for the info, btw..

#12 MERRYME

MERRYME
    • 324 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

i think people are getting alittle confused the rosary yes that takes 20-1 hour depending on who does all of the prayers it IS very tedious.

The lasso is what several people have already explained it is placed arround the coupple just to signify unity etc.. This take sno time at all so it could be incorporated to your ceremony maybe right after the vows and the ring?
      Alegria Inn - Todos Santos
      22nd of December 2006

#13 TammyB

TammyB
      • 10,630 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:24 PM

OH.. well that's not bad... It looks like we might not be doing the "sand Ceremony now" but instead doing the "hand ceremony" Oh hell, I just want to be married and be done with all of this.. :-)

#14 anaderoux

anaderoux
        • 3,220 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:21 PM

sorry I'm late for this.. as merry said the lazo doesn't take time.. the rosary does but I don't see the point on doing the rosary on a wedding ceremony..

#15 MERRYME

MERRYME
          • 324 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:46 PM

yep... the rosary is mostly done after someone has died... now if you did the bus thing then maybe the rosary would be worth doing . I can help lead it:)

Happy Birthday! Tammy
            Alegria Inn - Todos Santos
            22nd of December 2006

#16 mvee1025

mvee1025
            • 155 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

I did the lasso ceremony.  It was important to bring some sort of tradition into an already non tradition wedding.

It adds all of 2-3 minutes.  not bad.

#17 cocosho

cocosho
              • Site Supporter
              • 25 posts
              • Wedding Date:November 13, 2014
              • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori, Riviera Maya,

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

We're planning on doing the Lasso ceremony. I'm Catholic and I'd like to find symbolic ways to integrate some tradition to our non traditional ceremony. I'm also wearing a traditional mantilla veil. We are still designing our ceremony so that's all that's concrete for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#vivamywedding

#18 NJBride2014

NJBride2014
              • 441 posts
              • Wedding Date:September 13, 2014
              • Wedding Location:Le Blanc Spa Resort
              • LocationCancun, Mexico

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:48 AM

Anyone planning on doing the Lasso ceremony??  We are getting married at our church 2 weeks before the DW in Cancun and wanted to incorporate the Lasso ceremony with the church ceremony.  I like that we can keep the rosary in our family and pass it down to our future kids.  Just wondering if anyone else is doing it or incorporating it in their ceremony and where they found their rosary/lasso?  My fiance's mother got us one when she visited Guatemala recently but it wasn't a rosary it was more of a beaded rope and I was looking for more of a rosary so we can have it blessed at the church where we are getting married. 

43 guests plus bride and groom.... ;)

Engagement Photos - http://www.bestdesti...y/#entry1827276

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...y/#entry1860630

#19 cubanaboliviana

cubanaboliviana
              • 26 posts
              • Wedding Date:July 26, 2014
              • Wedding Location:San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

I believe the lasso is where a couple puts this rope around you and your husbands shoulders and it signifies the union of the two. I believe it has to be a married couple that share a good union. I thought this was done only in catholic churches but I can be completely wrong. Hope that helps.smile159.gif

This is right, usually just done at Catholic churches, but I have seen people doing it at beach weddings. Why not?

#20 kmk2016

kmk2016
              • Moderators
              • 1,468 posts
              • Wedding Date:February 29, 2016
              • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori- Riviera Maya
              • LocationCalgary Canada

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

I definitely want to incorporate some local traditions... We aren't having a church ceremony but like the idea of doing the lasso.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users